Image Line bought UVI

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by mrpsanter, Feb 18, 2023.

1. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I was just kidding hopefully but who knows, I have seen stranger things...

2. Mix101--

Mix101-- Member

3. Mix101--

Mix101-- Member

Image Line acquires UVI, sample library and plugin developer
    April 18, 2023 Synth Anatomy 8

SYNTH ANATOMY uses affiliation & partner programs (big red buttons) to finance a part of the activity. If you use these, you support the website. Thanks!

Image Line (Waterland investment group), the makers of FL Studio, have acquired the French sample library and plugin developer UVI.

In recent years we have seen increased influence from investment firms in the MI space. Among others, Soundwide with Native Instruments, iZotope Plugin Alliance… or Image Line belonging to the Waterland Investment Group.

The latter has recently grown. It was only by accident that I discovered that Image Line (Waterland) had acquired the French company UVI. The company is known to many for its excellent Falcon 2 multi-engine Synthesizer and numerous sample libraries

[​IMG]

Image Line UVI
    This takeover comes as a surprise. It was only communicated very quietly and not covered by many media websites. But there is a press release from January 24th, 2023:

Press Release
    UVI, a leading software creator and content producer focused on the music and audio market, announces its acquisition by Image-Line, a software company best known for its digital audio workstation program FL Studio. Drake Star acted as the exclusive financial advisor to UVI and its shareholders on this transaction.

The new structure will benefit from high potential for growth synergies, a community of millions of active users, and a unique competitive position that would result in a complementary offering.

Jean-Bernard Celier, CEO of UVI said

I am delighted that UVI is joining the Image-Line organisation. They have understood the development and transformation of UVI. We share the same values and have a similar corporate culture. I am confident that Image-Line will provide UVI with the expertise and resources necessary for our future growth. We would like to thank Drake Star for their support and expertise throughout the process.

Constantin Koehncke, CEO at Image Line

We are very pleased to welcome UVI, a company we have been following for a long time and whose products are cherished by music producers for their high quality and authenticity. We are excited to bring their instruments, effects and sound products to an even wider audience to further deliver on our mission to help music producers make and share their best music.

UVI In The Future?
    Taking over one company from another often opens up new opportunities. Especially when an investor brings in new money, allowing you to hire more people and have more development budget. The whole thing can also drift in the wrong direction where the investor wants to earn as much money as possible as quickly as possible. So to get its investment back. I have always fear when it comes to things like this

However, it will be exciting to see how UVI positions itself in the future. Whether everything stays the same or whether both companies work closely together. Like a Falcon-style synth plugin or more codes or sound content for FL-Studio. Either way, it will be good to see where the new UVI path will lead.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

6. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

To be precise, French Fries originated in France but were mainly and massively popularized by Belgians.

7. Hord

Hord Newbie

No, Image-Line is working for stones, they are hating money.

8. Hord

Hord Newbie

There are FL Studio native plugins that you can buy and use in other daws. Why would they do that?

9. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Image Line bought UVI

The bigger fish always swallows a smaller one, not otherwise.
    PS. Do you remember Cool Edit? It was a revolutionary software,
    and what happened after Adobe Audition purchased it? Now I hate AA audio editors

10. trz303

trz303 Producer

Audition is still a great piece of software for audio editing ...

11. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

For audio edits I use standard DAW (Cakewalk Bandlab) or even free Ocenaudio, and AA later than 3d version is crap (IMHO)

12. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

as long as UVI keeps making these wonderful classic instrument plugins/synth emulations back from the dead
    im gonna support them because its small company trying to compete against the big boys in NI roland and arturia to name a few

i think the IL - UVI merge is good move for their longevity )

speaking of ,i just bought the kawai synths which sounds fantastic ,
    i just wish there was more akai synths than 4+drum sampler

i hope in future they can add these synths too
    VX-90
    VX-600
    S-612
    AX-60

cant get enough akai heheh

13. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Yea they should of ran sales like they are now before getting cracked and maybe it wouldn't of happined .. the price for their stuff was pretty ridiculous.. especially for something you can't resale and it will be discontinued in a few years..

14. DanteUruzu

DanteUruzu Kapellmeister

I find it hard to believe that people that weren't buying their products in the first place suddenly being able to download them for free made them collapse. If there was a financial problem for them, it was well before their products were cracked and released on the other site and that had very little, if anything, to do with their financial problems.

15. chefcoco

chefcoco Kapellmeister

Not anymore

16. chefcoco

chefcoco Kapellmeister

That is no more. You can no longer do that

17. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Look what Apple did when they bought Logic:

Windows version got dropped immediately in order to make Logic Mac only. The strategy was of course to increase Mac sales.

That being said, it's not impossible that image line will adopt a similar strategy.