iMac mid 2010 upgrading to ssd

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Maduka, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

Hi guys i need your help. I just reformatted my internal hard drive to make a clean install, and now I have a message saying my hard drive is failing. I'm considering to upgrade my hard drive with a ssd, but I don't know what to do. I mean which to get. Thanks guys

These are my specs. :(

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i3
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 12 GB

3. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

With Yosemite, an important SSD function called TRIM will only work with Apple-branded SSDs. OWC has a drive which has its own TRIM-type feature though.

Here's some info:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-yosemite-and-third-party-ssds-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

4. audiomees33

audiomees33 Noisemaker

You will also have problem with heat censoring. Fans fill go full speed
    Better option is to replace DVD drive to SSD and boot from it.

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

TRIM is not exactly life-dependent feature. Most modern SSDs don't need it at all. As long as SSD have proper Garbage Collection, which doesn't need OS to function, TRIM is rather redundant.

6. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I think that if TRIM were simply redundant, the kext-signing problem which disables TRIM wouldn't be such a big deal. GC and TRIM work together, but do not cover the same function. I have read reports from consumers "Not using TRIM hasn't slowed my system". That's not surprising, as they've also admitted they're not using near capacity. TRIM becomes more necessary as more of the SSD capacity is used.

Samsung, who manufactures the 1TB drive I want(ed) to get, lays out the differences in this white paper:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/whitepaper/whitepaper04.html

Here's a good article which appears to be quoted in many places I've looked:
    http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/garbage-collection-and-trim-in-ssds-explained-an-ssd-primer/

7. Freudz

Freudz Noisemaker

I just upgraded my iMac 27" early 2011 with a Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD on Maverick 10.9.5. My advice is to follow this video from OWC (link under). It is a bit of hassle the first time you do it. When you watch the video, it looks so easy peasy . It isn't so easy the first time. My advice, have patience when you do it, have the right tools, cable kit, follow the video as a guide and be careful with the first vsync cable on the left top. Samsung Evo SSD is the best bang for the buck. If maverick is your osx, be sure that the trim function is enabled. If it isn't, then run the trim enabler app. Don't go for Yosemite with 3th part SSD if you want to have a stable and trusty production system for now.

Good luck!

http://youtu.be/F8Li_bPDAow

8. Maduka

Maduka Kapellmeister

Thanks brother. By the way, what do you need exactly to replace the hard drive. I would like to replace it in the same place where is the old one. Thanks

9. Freudz

Freudz Noisemaker

Hi Maduka!

If it was me i would by one Samsung Evo 840 SSD 250GB and run it as my system disk.Then replace the faulty one with a new hard disk for samples and backup. Then you install everything you need. Move sample libraries f.ex. apple loops, esx 24 to the backup disk and make aliases to the the folders. In my case I'm running Logic x with all the additional contents and Ableton live. I moved the samples to the backup drive. After moving Ableton & Logic x samples my 500GB SSD has 470GB left.

When your happy with personal setup, make an image of the disk and use it as backup protection if needed. For me the image takes 5-6 min to write to the internal backup disk. I restore the whole system image from my internal backup disk in 5-6 min.

Follow the link under (it shows everything you need to know, incl. videos how to do) and pick one of the hard drive models there and se if its compatible with your iMac. You will need that specifik cables for the new drive. You don't have to buy the drive from OWC, but you need to have the right model. The SSD mounts on the side as shown in the video.
    PS. Check the price difference between the 250 & 500GB SSD. Here in Sweden the price difference between 250 and 500GB was 400sek. So it was one easy choice, i went for the 500GB.

i hope this helped you

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/