i'm trying to balance the sound from section to section

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by stav, May 25, 2024.

1. stav

stav Noisemaker

i'm trying to balance the sound from section to section but i'm being tricked all the time and it doesn't come out as even as i want

do you use any metering tools to check from section to section that its more of the same sound level from section to section

I tried to use LUFS but i am not sure if thats the best option for this

3. ALTERNATEUGLY

ALTERNATEUGLY Member

noob here, have you tried compression?

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Yes, it's called ear. :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Need more information
    Define your meaning of
    "Balance"

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Learn by doing percieved loudness by ear. That's my pro tip.
    Then there are percieved loudness meters (LUFS), as a "tool" when you can't/won't trust your ears.

7. stav

stav Noisemaker

i'll have to go by ear as per suggestions...i tried metering tools but my mix ends up worse off. so i'll have to balance by ear....having an appropriate loudness level going from verse to chorus etc

8. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Look, If by balance you mean having the overall mix Glued together sounding as though its one Body Constantly evolving together
    "UNIFORM"
    I would first suggest that when at the initial sound design or programing stage to aim for a mix sitting at-5db or below even depending on how much you intend to push the levels up at a mastering or post mix processing stage.

Dont get sucked up into trying to solve the problem at the stage where youve written everything and think theres a creative bit of eq,ing like "Scooping the middle out of the muddy area"
    Thats a trick at the sound design stage
    Thats going to affect the entire mix if not done with surgeon like precision

All i can suggest is to use your ear and dont rely on what a numeric metering tool tells you

" Using a visual reference within your DAW or a plug such as voxengo span etc is what you should focus on at the sound design stage"

Ive mixes at 0. even - 25 Pre Post fx

Depends on genre/Post fx/ Depends on alot of things, i dont know exactly what your writing so its difficult to advise you other than the normal things such as Eq/comp, dont over compress though, and over compressing is something a person does thats new to the process,

but ive fallen into the trap as im sure countless others have also!

I must emphasise that although im suggesting working wherby your mix sits at-5db or below before you process the master>
    It doesnt work if you dont allow for space within your sound design, or "Elements"

Last edited: May 28, 2024