I'm not sure if its only in Sylenth bass presets or in general

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by petrrr, Jul 21, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

I'm not sure if its only in Sylenth bass presets or in general but why do Sylenth1 bass presets all are already pitched down 1/2 octaves in the oscillator section....

that assumes the user has the midi notes 1/2 octaves higher than the correct place where the bass notes would be...

so if i write the midi information to the correct midi notes i need...sylenth1 pitches it down further 1/2 octaves, i dont' understand why presets come like that in sylenth1 and maybe other synths too i don't know

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

bruh, tell me you are not Beethoven

4. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

what you mean?

5. Doctor_Me

Doctor_Me Platinum Record

I think it designed like that cause most people who use synths nowadays don't really play them live or have an extensive midi controller with lots of octaves. So it make sense to focus the presets on a 2 octaves range, that way you can play them on a basic midi controller and sound how they're intended to. And being honest I even prefer this way, it's more practical for electronic music production imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

1. You listen (you should, if you are not) to the MIDI when you write them. Doesn't matter where the octave is, I mean who write MIDI blindly without listening what note they are keying-in into ? Unless you ehem.. can't hear anything.

2. It would be easier for small scale MIDI controller user to preview the presets quicker without ever having to move finger on the keys and going through the presets.

3. don't use Sylenth1 anymore, move on already

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Genius?

Guess what i often pitch sounds around via midi pitch device or i do it in the plugin itself, im just to lazy to move my fingers 12 keys up or down, when i can just pitch it with 2 mouse clicks.
    And i think thats what the majority is doing, when creating presets for release or free distribution.

I dont get what you mean otherwise?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Which midikeyboard with how many keys do you use ?

On the following picture you see the middle C for a 61 key midi keyboard. And a middle C for a 25 Keys Midikeyboard.

You can play far left all the way down and far right all the way up.
    There are seven basic tones and with the black keys it is 12 tone music system.
    All soundsets and presets are related to Middle C.

So starting from Middle C you have the low tones on the left and the high tones on the right. Many musicians have smaller keyboards with 49 or 37 keys as an example and accordingly the Middle C moves to the middle of the keyboard. Some sound designers make very bass-heavy presets, which you can switch up 1 octave or 2 octaves with the octave switch on the midi keyboard if that is too dark.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022

Attached Files: