I'm Newbie in music. wanting to produce Progressive House kind of music, Help

Discussion in 'Education' started by TeonKan, Jul 30, 2015.

1. TeonKan

TeonKan Noisemaker

Hi, as the title said, i am new in music, actually starting to learn Music theory..
    i just want to ask some advice on where should i start..
    i want to make a music like Progressive House, Tropical House
    please share me your knowledge about these two genre.. and how can i make good at it..
    thank you so much in advance

3. mono

mono Audiosexual

4. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

Listen to a lot of deadmau5's early work. Learn how to make pluck sounds, nearly any synth can do it. Download free midi files online and learn from them, learn why they sound good. I'd recommend deadmau5 midi files of course. Get some high quality drum samples, maybe try Vengeance drum samples. Then just keep going at it until you get good.

5. xsze

xsze Guest

6. remix

remix Platinum Record

This may sound silly in todays climate but...

Learn to play an instrument, just the basics will do...

Knowing some basic chords and scales will help you no end...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

easy one,

listen the music you like, download stuff on AZ, play your style, upload on soundcloud.
    that's it.

8. Vince Bramich

Vince Bramich Ultrasonic

I too recommend learning an instrument. No need to spend money on lessons either. I learned to play guitar off tabs and piano from YouTube.
    I'm competent enough on both to play songs start to finish (sounds silly but for ages all I could do was play small sections)

I'd recommend piano as you're prob gonna use your keyboard a lot to produce.
    Start with learning your triads and inversions.

And check out the education section right here

9. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Yeah learn some basic keyboard stuff. Knowing your way around a few chords here and there will help you tremendously.

No need to know a million chords, if you know your way around a few chords in C minor/D major scales, you're good to go (you can always move everything and tadaaaa you're in a whole new key).

As far as arranging/mixing. Watch a billion videos online and try to apply them, and you'll get the hang of it after about 10k hours :p

10. TeonKan

TeonKan Noisemaker

i love you all guys..

11. xsze

xsze Guest

(◕‿◕✿)

12. TeonKan

TeonKan Noisemaker

this is my first attempt!! haha

please take a look guys..

excuse my work.. i know this it's really bad.. haha

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  13. xsze

xsze Guest

Actually it's not that bad, better than anything I made when i started out, by far :boombox:

14. TeonKan

TeonKan Noisemaker

Thank you sir, i will keep on learning and will continue making a music to make it better.. someday haha

15. xsze

xsze Guest

We live in amazing times for this adventure, I know you will nail some awesome results pretty fast, just don't give up :like:

16. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Basically, what everyone else has said, but just jump right in there, learn & read as much as you can about what you're interested in, and within no time, you'll be knocking out some tunes

Also, don't get too bogged down with technical jargon as it can put a lot of people off, concentrate on learning your tools (instruments and DAW) and just do what you do to the best of your ability

You'll more than likely start off rubbish and be frustrated that you can't do certain things, and that's h9ow we all start I'd guess, so we've all been through the frustrations of not being able to achieve what we want, but persevere, and each time you do a new song, you'll notice each one is getting better

17. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

I think that the most important part of Progressive House is keep things simple. Start with easy arrangement and easy track. Another really important part are reverbs and delays. You can creat big sounds and rich atmosphere by using them in a correct and creative way.

18. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

I like your song man...keep at it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

I am also relatively newbie here... Compared most of the members here. But... With my little experience, I would like to humbly advise that please spend less time in downloading lot of synths, samples, VST effects. The less is better for more creativity. Get some free stuff which is widely available with few searches in Google and get going.

I totally agree that at least some basics of an instrument helps a lot. As suggested in above posts, I would also recommend to learn piano / digital keyboard, at least.

Once you feel that you are good with melodies, you may also start taking part in remix contests of tracks of your likings or your favourite artists.

At last, critical listening of music is very beneficial. It helps in identifying various instruments, their importance to make the track great, rhythm, etc.

Keep patience. Music can not be produced overnight. Everyone here will agree that it's a subject of patience and practice.

Best of luck,
    Dee.P.Tree.

20. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Since our Audiosex friends have covered a lot of the musical side of this, I'd like to offer some workflow- and creativity- related advice.

This is very sound advice. I made this mistake when I started out. I thought, "I'm gonna need ALL the tools. I want everything RIGHT there in case I ever need it."

What ends up happening is you have this grotesquely bloated VST folder, and choosing a tool for a particular job constantly disrupts your creative flow (especially if you keep the default installation destinations - sorted by developer rather than type of plugin) .

Now that I've got my bearings a bit more, I regularly go through my plugin folders and uninstall/delete things I don't use often (ESPECIALLY VSTi's). I hardly ever install anything new unless something exceptional comes out or an update to one of my favorite tools is released. All that other stuff will be on the internet if you want it again. And if not, you'll probably never need it. Learn one or two synths intimately. Unless you're strictly flipping through presets, limit your exploring until you're more situated--find a couple that jel with you and learn how they work so you can spend your time working getting results from your tools instead of just trying to wrap your head around them.

One all-important step that is so often under-emphasized is LIBRARY ORGANIZATION. I have my plugins separated in folders like:
    EQ
    ----color
    ----dynamic
    ----precision

Dynamics
    ---compressor
    --------color
    --------precision
    ---limiter
    ---multiband
    ---de-esser

Saturation & Distortion

VSTi
    ----Drum Synth
    ----Sampler
    ----Sequencer
    ----Synth

addendum: since you're new I'll add this. Other important categories are: Filter, Chorus/Flanger/Phaser, Reverb/Delay, Pitch and Time, Utility and Cleaning (for things like tuners, de-clickers, de-noisers, spectum analyzers, etc.), Stereo (for things like stereo imagers and Waves Center), I have one called MultiFX/Modulation for those all-around sound manglers with lots of options for LFOs, envelopes, etc.

....and so on. Some plugins will fit into multiple categories. Some will be hard to find a place for at all. If you go this route keep in mind that there are no rules and you're doing it for your own benefit so that when you're trying to get a job done, the tools are right where you look for them. So put them where it makes sense to YOU. This takes a while but saves a ton of time in the long run. If you're using Ableton you can leave your VST folder as-is and set Ableton to read a folder full of shortcuts that point to the original plugins. This way you don't risk compromising any location-dependent aspects of the plugins' installation.

My samples are similarly organized. Furthermore, drum samples, synth and bass hits, and one-shots are stored in 128s for quick browsing and substitution. When creativity strikes, the last thing I want to be doing is looking for the right folder to select a sample from.

I started producing less than two years ago and I've come a long way. Be fearless and be dedicated. Good things will happen.

21. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

Actually, I admit here that I
    am the same case. I also started collecting each and everything. But as time lapsed, I started realizing that I rarely use most of the stuff. Finally, Uninstalled the VSTs which I had rarely used. Now I have learned controlling myself.

I also find the advise of managing data very useful. When I started I didn't know about VST, Soft synths, various effects, dynamics, etc. Later on I started sorting them out.

In Japanese quality management system terminology, it's good to keep doing "5's" of you music production data collection on regular basis. This will surely help converting collected "data" to usable "tools" to increase productivity.

Best Regards,
    Dee.P.Tree