I'm looking for a full course on mixing/mastering from a good unviersity for free

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by samsome, Dec 16, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

I'm looking for a full course on mixing/mastering from a good unviersity for free

:P

basically to gain confidence....from a structured kind of learning method

did u study at a unviersity for mixing/mastering btw? how was it

3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Hey samsome,

alternative way could be:
    pick only ONE instructor (on youtube) that "speaks to you" or "i get what this cat is saying"
    and study and adapt thier philosophy and the ways of problem solving with the mixing-hat-on and then practice practice practice on your owne music, or other peoples material.

you want to train your ears at priority number one.
    you train your ears by practicing mixing.
    you mix by using your ears and your tools (comp/eq), and you want to devolop a process on how you go about starting a mix and when you are finnish.

overtime you want to gain confidence in yourself and your ears and trust your feelings and -not - go round in circles doubting every little eq move you make etc. etc.

when in doubt - simplify

some people view mixing as a science thing. where only technique is in question
    some pople view mixing as a artform.

in the end, you make it what you want it to be imho

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I'm an odd bird. I was producing, recording, mixing and mastering for 20 years, where I learned a ton. Then I hit the famous wall (stress-related) and figured wtf I was doing. So I decided to go study, and went to study music production, songwriting, composition, mixing/engineering and entrepreneurship at university for 3 years. The university had all the very high-end gear, so I applied the things I've learned (and learned new things ofc) onto SSL consoles, API consoles, expensive rack gear, mics, amazing rooms, full lunchboxes of 500-series gear, etc. :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  5. Goodie

Goodie Member

Try Kenny Gioia's tutorial videos. He is an excellent teacher. You can also check out Joshua Carney. They both teach very simplified courses on a lot of DAWs.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The Mixing Engineer’s Handbook by Bobby Owsinski