I'm gonna move the plugin folders

Discussion in 'PC' started by Wolfang, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Currently all of my plugins are located in:

C: \ Program Files \ Common Files \ VST3 \
    C: \ Program Files \ VstPlugins \
    D: \ Songwriting \ Program Files \ Vstplugins \

They are installed in only these three folders. While I was installing a new plugin today, I noticed most of the initial installation settings are set to C: \ Program Files \ Steinberg \ Vstplugins \, and it is also set by default in the DAW. I wanted to organize even one folder, so I tried moving the folder as a test.
    The result is, most plugins didn't work. It means I have to take a day to re-install most of them.

In addition, if I try to install a new plugin to D drive, since the letter V is almost at the end in alphabetical order, I have to lower the cursor for a while to change it. Thus, I've been trying to switch it to D: \ Songwriting \ Vstplugins \, but I've been too busy to do that. It seems like it will take all day to do both of C and D drives.

There are two questions:

1) I think there must be a way to connect the folders after moving them, but I have no idea how.

2) Should I just leave them alone? Or would it be worth to set a day to do it, or wasting time?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  3. Pagurida

Pagurida Producer

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 is VST standard for VST3 plugins, you should keep this folder.
    Most setup programs no longer ask for this folder anyway, but install the plugins there straight away.
    VST2 plugins are more flexible in terms of location, but for a better systematic and overview I would recommend
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 as the storage folder.
    By means of the Windows command MKLINK you can later create any number of symbolic links to these folders for other purposes, e.g.
    MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\VstPlugins" "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Thanks, but the thing is that there are not so much room in C drive. That's why I installed all of VST2 to D drive. I'll give it a shot sooner or later!

5. Pagurida

Pagurida Producer

In this case you can set it up the other way round:
    Use the D: drive as the real storage location and create the symbolic link on the C: drive.
    Example:
    MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" "D:\VSTPlugins\VST3"
    All plugin files that are installed by setup programs in the standard folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3) are physically located on drive D: (D:\VSTPlugins\VST3) and do therefore not occupy any storage space on drive C:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. tun

tun Rock Star

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Don't do that. Instead of moving your plugin folder, you should move your C: Program Data folder, or at least some of its content. ( use symlinks or it wont work)That is where every big library resides. Therefore, it will free space improve performance. Indeed, that is the rule of thumb for libraries: They should be located on a physical drive other than your C: drive which is where your OS is located. Note that physical drive is not your main hard drive partitioned. It is a separate drive.

8. Pagurida

Pagurida Producer

Maybe he doesn't have large libraries at all, and there's nothing wrong with doing it with the plugins.
    With a great number, these can also take up a lot of space.
    Symlinks ofc are always a good means to relocate data, also for libraries.

9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

You are missing the whole point of what i said, so I will repeat it.
    If you move plugin folder(s) you ONLY free up space. Nothing more is gained.
    If you move your Data folder or some of its big libraries, you free up space + you gain in performance. Accordingly, with all things being equal, the better choice is choosing the data folder over the plugin folder.

Your C:/ Program Data folder always is larger than all your plugin folders combined. Check yours and you will see.

10. Stryves

Stryves Platinum Record

I have my plugin folders all in c:\vst\

It's easy to setup on each install, and on prod I rarely add new stuff to it. On my sandbox machine I created symlinks just so everything gets dumped in the same place, but with revo uninstall it kinda fixes that other mess. Really don't need to touch it anymore.

Like @The Pirate said, dll installs are usually really small. Not much is gained from trying to mess with it.

11. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I write separately to suggest the following to the OP and any other person who may find it of use.
    There is no need to have different VST versions of the same plugin. Similarly there is no need to have similar architecture plugins in several folders.There is absolutely nothing to gain by doing so. All that does is create conflicts within some DAWs, have the wrong version of the plugin selected by the DAW, and increase in the scanning process.

With all current DAWs all we need is the VST3 or AAX 64 bit versions. There is no need to install vst2 34 bit, vst2 64 bit, AAX 32 bit, and vst3 32 bit. If there are problems with a VST3 64bit version of plugin, then all you really need is the vst2 64 bit one.

Disclaimer: As noted, his does not apply if you are still using Cubase 5 or any other DAWs from the Jurassic Park era.

12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Having VSTs in the root of C: with full permissions is always best. However, it is advisable to have a different folder for VSt2, VST3 and any 32 bit ones. Also you should tweak the registry to point installers to new folders as default locations so if you installing an update that is intended to overwrite the previous one, it will find your custom folder.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  13. Stryves

Stryves Platinum Record

Yup, DAWs let you set multiple vst locations so I have them all setup to scan each one. Get the base setup and this stuff is pretty easy. Samples, Kontakt Libs, Midi's, Program Data... Man, those take up space and took a little longer to figure out.

14. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Wolfang One thing has not been discussed when moving folders is the way you do back ups and create system images. Whatever folder you move, remember to back it up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I'm free with care as you said.

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I do both only with junction symlinks. But that's because I use no install versions. Usually the software part of the plugin is small like you say.
    Of course, I have to backup them too.