Im a mixing idiot I think. What can I do to get this track right?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by rage, Oct 25, 2022.

1. rage

rage Kapellmeister

Every track I've ever done with a good mix, Im pretty sure it got there through chance and luck in mixing.

Other than tone down the boom of the drums, what tips can anyone give me to get this track into decent mix territory?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Have you high cut and/or low cut every channel? I think something else is skewing your signal to noise ratio, along with the kick booming. What are you using?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  4. rage

rage Kapellmeister

I would be lying if I said I have. That is likely a good place to start wrangling this in some. Generally I use FabFilter and iZotope, with other things here and there. I have been experimenting with BBE Sonic Maximizer on the master channel and that may be throwing things off worse without better cutting. Though it does add some oomph.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

So that is where I would begin. Mute that big kick you have going for now. Make a kick drum in Kick2 or whatever, just a boring one. Set it to -6dB. It will anchor your mix and be a reference for you to use for your other channels. Then EQ each channel to cut empty frequency space. High and Lows. Once you have control of that, most of your other issues become easier to identify.

A cookie cutter approach is really good for starting on edm mixing. Peg the kick at -6 peaking to get it out of the way, because everything is in a mostly static relationship with it. ( on it's channel strip meter)

I'd use the DAW's eq to do the basic subtractive stuff (hi/low only). A Pro-Q3 instance in that spot is kind of heavy handed resources use. Maybe even FF Simplon, for the hi/lo cutting; since you may have that. Then Saturn for saturation, pro-q3 for subtractive, pro-c2 for compression stage 1. If that's the FF route you want to go.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  6. rage

rage Kapellmeister

I'll give that a go. Thanks for that.