iLok License Manager won't open - can't use Plug-Ins! (MAC) [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Xyenz Fyxion, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Happy New Year, folks.

I hope all is well. I'm good, but I need help. The iLok License Manager is not allowing me to use my plugs. I've tried deleting and reinstalling and all else I know.

I've gone to and deleted all iLok related items from the following locations:

/Applications/iLok License Manager.app
    /Library/Preferences
    ~/Library/Preferences
    /Library/Application Support
    /Users/me/Library/Application Support
    /System/Library/Extensions/PACESupportFamily.kext

I uninstalled and reinstalled 3.1.3. I have installed 2.5.2, 3.0, and 3.1.2. I rebooted after each change and clearing the trash. I'm at my wit's end. I have to wait to see what iLok says after the break. But, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    OS X 10.11.6

Attached Files:

3. reybeatz

reybeatz Newbie

To check for this problem go to Administrative Tools/Services/ and see if "Pace License Services" status is "running" and, if not, start it up. That's it."

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I second that. Had this happen with Softube Modular on PC.
    Searching for and killing the Pace PID should restart the service on OSX.

5. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Thanks for the response. However, I believe your answer is suited to WIN users.

6. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

I found an article that also suggested something similar. With MACs, your device uses LaunchAgents. I used EtreCheck, and apparently mine failed to load. I don't know how to restart it, though. I deleted everything, and I mean everything. I did this manually, and I used their uninstaller packaged with the installer. After reinstallation, same problem...

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Launching iLok License Manager should restart it.
    So, run iLok LM, if you get that error find and kill the PACE PID to restart it immediately launch iLok again.

You could also try to making a copy of the iLok application and running the following commands on it before launching:

sudo chown root
    sudo chmod u+s

For the uninstall there's a plist that should be trashed too: com.paceap.iLokLicenseManager.plist located at
    Macintosh HD > Users > username > Library > Preferences

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  8. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Thanks. I trashed that plist file when I was deleting everything. It didn't help. And, I don't see anything PACE related in Activity Monitor.
    Copying it didn't help, either. After I used those codes, it still gave me the same error message I attached a screenshot of above.

9. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

You may need to update whichever plugs aren't loading properly. I had something similar happen to me recently with one of the latest updates to Pro Tools 12, and I had to update several things: iLok License Manager, PT App Manager and PT 12. Then, you have to go into iLok License Manager and make sure all your licenses are current. You may in fact have to download updated licenses from your iLok account to your key. This will require you getting online and checking your account on Pace's site.

10. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

All of the iLok related plugs were updated and working prior to this issue. That's why this is hard for me to understand. A clean install isn't doing it for me. I'm waiting for them to respond to my email. But, I have done just about all I know at this point. I can't even open the License Manager to see my plugins. The latest download from ilok.com has proved unhelpful. And, I'm not using Pro Tools at the moment or for the past year.

11. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Have you looked around at Gearslutz?... I had issues awhile ago, and that helped... but I feel bad for you dude... nothing is worse than plugs not working... ESPECIALLY iLok stuff.

Hopefully you don't mix for customers, anyhow I do hope things work out mate. :bow:

12. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I hate to say it, but you may also need to update your OS to El Capitan. I'm not on Sierra yet, so I can't vouch for that one, but El Cap's pretty stable at this point.

13. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Really!!??

I think we as mac people are screwed though... there's no way for us to update to anything BUT Sierra...

I am having problem with iphone not being recognized and stuff.. I have Mavericks. A new itunes will probably fix my issue, but I need to update to Mavericks to run it... NOT happening.

I'm looking into Itune alternatives.

14. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Thanks, guys. I included it with my original post. I use El Cap - 10.11.6.
    And, Mavericks was great. I generally wait to update, if I can get away with it. But, I have had no issues with El Capitan.

15. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

God I hate Ilok..I hope you get it fixed :)

16. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Crap, just saw that -- I was going by your signature, sorry. Other than my PT issue, which was harrowing but easily resolvable, I haven't had a lot of problems with iLok 1 or 2. Don't suppose you use Time Machine backups? If you did, you could just go into the Time Machine app (not the System prefs) and go back to a backup date where iLok was still working, then just double-click on the iLok License Manager from that date (as well as its associated files from that time period) without having to do a full TM restore. I don't even want to go into how many times TM has saved my ass since I started doing regular backups, but given how many times I've had to reinstall everything from the ground up before that, I'm grateful that I made the decision to start using TM regularly.

17. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

What are you on now? Mountain Lion?!?

I went from Lion straight to El Capitan a year ago. First time I did it, I hadn't bothered to make a TM backup first, and after discovering that a lot of my software was suddenly obsolete, I was forced to wipe my drive and start over with Lion. The second time I updated to El Capitan, I made backups, but I didn't really need to -- I had figured out what software to update and it also seemed like they'd finally ironed out a lot of issues with El Capitan, so everything worked. I recently updated to Sierra and took it for a test drive. TechTools Pro 9 and Quicken weren't quite ready yet, so I downgraded back to El Cap via Time Machine. From what I could tell, it's not hugely different from El Capitan, though there's Apple Store-related stuff that won't run on my older MBP (mostly involving Bluetooth). I'll probably re-update to Sierra after I get my new hard drives installed. I figure I have maybe one or two more updates before my machine is on the obsolete list and I'll either have to start looking for a more-recent model of Mac or making good on my threat to switch to Windoze.

Back up your machine and try out El Cap, you might like it. If not, you may want to consider running the latest update of iTunes on Windoze to use your iPhone. But I definitely feel your frustration with OS X ... er, macOS. My next machine will most likely be an iZ RADAR Station, and after that, I'll be cutting the Mac cord for good. Hell, I could run Windoze 10 on my MBP.

18. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Yeah, I didn't get around to changing the tag on my phone. [Updated]
    Still waiting for an email from iLok, though. Hoping this will be resolved, soon.

Thanks, @e-minor. I'm not the biggest fan. But, I've not had any real issues to write about until now. I like the ILM, as opposed to the dongle. I don't like that being my only option. I lost one before, too. $50 for a USB-slot being taken away isn't a great option. I understand it. However, I am cool with a working License Manager to authorize my plugs.

19. Xyenz Fyxion

Xyenz Fyxion Producer

Best Answer
    VICTORY!

I received an email back from the iLok folks. This worked for me, so I'm sharing it with you.
    --
    Hello,

Behavior like this can occur due to system permissions being improperly set. Please try each of the three suggestions below.

- Try running Disk Utility (found in the '/Applications/Utilities' folder) to first verify and then repair disk permissions. Disk Utility will attempt to correct what permissions problems it can but not not fully resolve this issue if the permissions issues are more severe. If you are not running El Cap, the steps to do this are as follows:

1) Uninstall License Support by running the "Uninstall License Support" script included with the License Support disk image downloaded from iLok.com

2) Launch Disk Utility

3) Run its "Verify Disk Permissions"

4) Run its "Repair Disk Permissions" once the verify has finished

5) Install again our components via the "License Support.pkg" file found in our License Support disk image

6) Try reproducing the issue

If you ARE running El Cap, the steps to do this are as follows:

1) Open the Terminal application (found in /Applications/Utilities/) and copy the following line.

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /

2) You will need to enter your system password. When you type, you will not see any text. This is expected. Type your password and hit enter.
    The command will run and either show permissions that differ. Be patient, as this can take some time.

3) Then, to repair the permissions that were found, copy the following line into Terminal:

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Again, please be patient and don't touch the computer until it finishes.

- If the issue persists after attempting to repair the system's permissions with Disk Utility or if you are running Sierra, please send us your system information:
    The system information can be found here:
    1) From your 'Hard Drive' go to the 'Applications/Utilities/' folder and run the "System Profiler" or "System Information".
    2) From the "System Profiler/System Information" menu choose 'File' and then 'Save'
    3) Make sure to open the ASP and verify that it is not corrupt as ASPs do have a tendency to go "bad". Make sure to archive (ZIP) the file from the system it was generated from before sending it to us.

Best Regards,
    [Rep's name here]
    iLok.com Technical Support
    --

I hope I can help someone else who runs into this issue.

20. raghu sravan kumar

raghu sravan kumar Newbie

For high sierra 10.13.6, contact me on [email protected] , will give you an easy solution , works on all .
    Even I faced a issue software components missing after installing latest update in ilok .