IK Multimedia ToneX - Discussion topic

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaxSxB, Oct 1, 2022.

1. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread.

Yesterday I was trying a new way to switch "presets" with Amplitube, by automating the pedals on a track in Ableton (while playing along to a backing track). And I noticed there was 4-5 seconds lags, silences between changes. Is this a common issues? Or am I just using a dead end method? (I'll go back to use macro/rack even if my cpu doesn't like it).
    I think it's weird this happens, because turning pedals on/off is instantaneous when I do it by hand.

2. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

2 weeks later lmao, well I indeed have my monitors placed in an equilateral triangle manner so that my ears are each on one side. But that's irrelevant because 1) my room is garbage, so 2) I don't use them and keep my Beyerdynamic DT880 screwed on my skull* :rofl:

Thinking about it, I think I described my feeling wrong. It doesn't really feel like an amp in the room, but the sound blasting through the headphones feels like it comes from my monitors even if they are off. Even with Valhalla Room I can't get this exact feeling (close though).

There's no point, even in a dedicated IK topic on IK forum doesn't care about these suggestions that have been told many times :( Like I said, I guess it's on purpose to force people to use AmpliTube. Otherwise, AT would most likely be a dead product

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  3. zib

zib Platinum Record

it's incredible seems like yesterday's Tonex love is hate today.

4. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I believe IK will eventually release a Tonex II pedal that will address a lot of these issues, maybe by NAMM.
    I'm not a guitarist and prefer the sound of well recorded guitars as opposed to boomy amps.
    I'm happy with what I can do with the pedal and have found ways to overcome the limitations it has presented to me.
    Most importantly, I've never played more guitar in my life than I have with this little beast.
    I don't know why, but I just love it:mates:

5. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

NEVER, my love with ToneX is eternal ! But like in my marriage, after some years I get to hate some aspects of my partner :dunno:

6. Davman

Davman Producer

Hi guys. Just in case anyone missed it, IK Black Friday deals for guitar and bass have landed early! Choose AmpliTube 5 MAX or TONEX MAX for $/€79.99 each or both for $/€129.99. This deal was too good for me to miss so I snapped both up last night.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=MAXGuitarBlackFriday2023

7. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

I'm crying, I saw it coming, bought it for 300€ 2 months ago :(
    The 79.99 price is VAT excluded though, 95.99 with VAT. Still an insanely good price

8. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

If you want the real "amp in the room" feel, there are only TWO serious solutions (FRFR is NOT one) :
    -real guitar cab/speakers with solid state power amp (but you need to disable any cab/IR sim, and loose versatility)
    -FRLR (full range LIVE response, not FRFR) speakers into a real cab enclosure OR better Celestion Design cab and now you can use cab sim/IR

If you want to try the later and get the best from cab sim AND real amp in the room, the best bang for the buck speaker is Celestion Triple Cone F12M-150 FRLR.
    It is better than their previous coaxial design with tweeter, because tweeter/crossover filters just RUIN any distorted guitar sound at the exact MOST IMPORTANT frequencies (3.5 kHz to 5 kHz).
    And it is even better than any FRFR solution, containing a tweeter/crossover filter too.

https://celestion.com/product/f12m-150-triple-cone/
    Celestion Design cab :
    https://celestion.com/blog/build-this-f12-x200-1x12-cabinet-design/

Simplest choice is real cab AND loose cab sim/IR.
    Better choice is F12M-150 FRLR + make a Celestion Design enclosure

Everything else is just running in circle with half backed solutions (like FRFR) and always complaining about "impossible" amp in the room feel.
    Now the real question is : do you REALLY want/need "amp in the room" feel ... with the VOLUME going with it ?

If you don't want the high volume ... just buy a 0.5 / 1 watt all tube amp combo and tweak his EQ to your taste :wink:

It is time to stop running in circle about "real amp in the room feel", especially for ppl who don't really want/need it.
    I don't care anymore about this point on my side.

9. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

I don't care much about that "amp in the room feel", I started recording and mixing before even playing guitar so what I aim for is a mix-ready tone as I grew up with this. But wearing headphones and feeling the sound comes from all around you in a natural manner is very pleasant !

It's really the "room sound" I was after, not the "feeling of amp in the room". Don't know how to describe it better.

To be clear, I was learning "Grim Heart / Black Rose" from Converge and wanted that room sound while playing. Tone matching really. I tried that ToneX reverb and found it the most realistic I've ever experienced. No doubt I can do better with ValhallaRoom if I train mastering that plugin, but that integrated reverb gave me instant great results. Settings : Black Angus tone model (good thing it's mandatory in databases in the end), Reverb : Time 0, Pre 0, Color 0, Mix 60. Boom, it's a room.

10. mopoge

mopoge Noisemaker

Do you place the L6 PowerCab in the FRLR category? I believe they use a Celestion driver plus they provide lots of different modes (tweeter on/off, etc.).

Also, have you tried the latest Fender Tone Master that was just released with their Tone Master Pro pedalboard? Been hearing rave reviews about it, but I don't know what their magic is all about. I haven't tried one myself...just mentioning it since it seems popular currently.

11. Davman

Davman Producer

It cost me £113.97 for both max versions plus a foreign currency conversion fee of £3.36.
    So I'm quite happy with that.

12. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

@mopoge
    Not really FRLR, not really FRFR according to this thread :
    https://line6.com/support/topic/59895-powercab-plus-112-how-to-open/?do=findComment&comment=464906

But a good direction anyway, with a real cab enclosure with volume, and so resonance.
    Even if i don't like ALL coaxial solutions, because they mean crossover (and nasty phase / level troubles at 3.5 5 kHz).
    This can't be fixed by EQ, only "hidden under the carpet", meaning an agressive upped mid OR muffled no high mids.

Celestion Triple Cone all the way !!!

13. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Softube Amp Room has headphone mode. Just let the guitar pass through it without processing but turning the "Headphone Mode" on. There's also a ROOMIR module that works really well with the headphones mode if needed. It's nice to play and record with headphones with it (for realistic feel) while still getting the Mono recording as dry/clean as possible (remove the plugin after) for further processing during mixing.

Kurt Ballou used IR from Acousticas Bricasti M7 IR pack "P097 - Small Room" for all Converge recordings he did (Source : Nail The Mix). Not to mention 16 stacks (for real, you can download the multitrack) of guitar tracks lol. I think the "in a room" feels came from those acoustic guitar tracks he stacked for transient/attack. He produced No Heroes too. It's one of the record that I listened 100 times growing up. He's kinda my hero too. lol.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

Oh man I gotta look that up, No Heroes is highly ranked in my most favorite songs ever. The atmosphere, this hammered main riff, this depressing middle melodic part, THAT SCREECHING BASS SOUND (shaping my bass tone research still to this day). That very open and airy mix yet powerful (add a bit of low end and it's perfect),... Next 2 albums are even better objectively, but No Heroes has something really unique and special as an album, especially on the mix part. One of a kind. Oh I didn't mention To The Lions, one of the most gnarly song in my library. Damn I love this album.

EDIT : I quickly scrolled the Nail The Mix thing, too complex for me lmao. Speaking about No Heroes (the song), I'm angry at the whole internet because NOBODY got any tab or cover right. I had to listen to the song for hours to decrypt what he's playing and got it like 95% right. Everyone did a pure massacre. I plan to record and film a cover once my hands get it lmao, even if it's a... errrh... 17 YEARS OLD SONG WTF TIME FLIES

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  15. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Try HitNMix RipX Deep Audio / Remix to separate guitars.
    With the best source possible (CD,WAV,lossless ...)

16. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

Thanks I was looking for this one, couldn't remember the name. Not perfect, but helps a lot ! Another method I used is an M+S plugin to kill center, then a binaural pan plugin to keep only 1 side and set my master track to mono. Good enough for most cases if you don't want to use another software, but RipX is the way to go !

EDIT : Oh no, that topic is reaching its deadly off-topic phase :( and it's my fault :(

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Newbie

MaxSxB, you have added SO MUCH knowledge/instruction to this Tonex discussion that we will gladly follow you on whatever tangents you like. If it happens to include Converge, all the better!

18. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

@MaxSxB i still use the same method too, with some EQ just after :wink:

I found sometimes live versions are clearer because there is less mixing/no double tracking...
    And live videos can help too, if not edited like crazy :rofl:

19. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

I hope some friendly soul that has alot of time will make a FULL version of the db file with all included update profiles and upload it on sister site as i simply doesnt have time myself to do it

20. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

Would be great indeed. To be highly considered even, for newcomers. Let's wait until next release and find out !