IK Multimedia ToneX - Discussion topic

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaxSxB, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Rodger

Rodger Rock Star

The Last one posted is the latest :mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Skellig

Skellig Member

Hi Friends. I´ve noticed that when using a DI only model paired with some hi quality 3rd impulse (York Audio), the overall volume is significantly lower than the same model captured by the same user as a whole (Amp +cab).Is this normal? Is there a way to compensate this other than turning up the volume of the amp?
    Thanks so much for your input.

3. Syn1666

Syn1666 Noisemaker

Hi,can someone maybe recommend me someone who can do tone matching IRs for tonex,I'm looking for the best one possible

4. perwe

perwe Newbie

just increase the output volume of the plugin itself, or add a basic plugin to increase the volume after—the basic plugin can be a simple gain one or an eq set flat with increased gain

5. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Andy TF

Andy TF Newbie

Yes, exactly. I hope so! ToneX days until death are counted! (unless IK themselves release a pedal combining AT+ToneX capabilities with full ATmax and ToneXmax suites attached...it's weird, btw, because the ToneX pedal has 'Amplitube' and 'Machine Modeling' - AT's trademark for simulation algorythms - printed on the box, but no AT capability... will they update the firmware of the ToneX later to have it control AT5 like a Midi pedal, or even better, to have a computer-less fx+amp modeling+tone capture loader+cab IR loader combo capability like Mooer's GEs?

Technically, Mooer GE200/250/300 is already that.... why, in your opinion, are MNRS captures not as popular as ToneX or NAM captures? (or simply why Mooer GEs are not as popular as ToneX, despite having been released 3 years before the ToneX pedal? Because the GE Labs user's community is smaller than ToneNet's and NAM's community?
    Or is it only a false impression, because of the lot of videos of the youtubers who tend to focus on ToneX ? (who sponsor them a lot, as opposed to Mooer who don't seem to be as generous with product placement?)

I can get the GE200 for $200 used nowadays, and it still holds up very well in terms of fx and amp models against more recent gear (MG30, GP-200, GX-100...), and offer the amp capture loading capability on top, a HUGE feature that no other pedal offers at that price point. The only competitor is indeed the ToneX pedal, which has AT5 (objectively better looking than Mooer Studio and possibly with slightly better amp model) but for twice more, and no floor fx unit...
    The only downside of the GE200 are the IR limited to 512 samples, and no parallel fx... for just$200, I think I can be more than happy with that for home and band rehearsing (I don't record).

And useless to say; if reselling the GE200, it's still worth $100/150 in 2 years, and the Mooer Studio app is free.
    If reslling the ToneX, it's worth probably just $50 in 2 years, because software licenses are not transferrable, and without the ToneXmax version, it doesn't make sense using it. And even with software license, anyways, new softwares will be released... so...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  7. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

I've owned GE200, GE250 and GE300 in the past and here is my opinion about it:

# Bad sounding FX:
    - Almost all FX in the units sounds bad (muffled, fake, have artifacts)
    - Changes the tone a lot
    - Lack of proper stereo effects (only 1 stereo delay in 200/250)

# Modeling
    - Amp modeling in the unit has a weird bump in the midrange (probably because they are preamp simulations)
    - The power amp simulation options are bad (weird EQ curves) and lies in the IR block in 200/250.
    - Almost always you'll need an EQ to make it better.

# Match EQ (avaiable in 250/300)
    - It can be used to further tweak the tone but most of the times it will not capture low end and high end properly (so you'll need to EQ anyway, even with this match EQ enabled)

# Capture
    - Only avaiable as iOS app
    - Need additional hardware (HW that works with iOS)
    - Not accurate (The capture, most of the times, will sound very off of what's bering captured). Tonex and NAM are far more accurate.

If you take it for what it is, cheap multi-fx, it's ok but don't expect the capture tech inside it to battle against Tonex or NAM because it's poorly made.

I've had much more success replicating my real amps manually with HX Stomp than with Mooer MNRS. I must add that what could be the Tonex and all the others ultimate killer would be an HX/Helix with a NAM player block, that would be the ultimate device, imo.

I'm not saying these units are bad at all scenarios. For practicing, jams and small live gigs it's more than enough.

NAM has already been ported to lv2 and tested on some HW devices, the only issue is CPU consumption and this is being resolved, to allow the same accuracy and lower CPU usage. If a Chinese company makes a device that works with NAM profiles, without optimization, it will likely be much less accurate .

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  8. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

@Andy TF
    My take on GE200

A lot of factory profiles are BAD :
    clipping, no dynamic ...

Pedals use the same MNRS process ... so a lot are BAD too

Effects in general are LESS than average.
    Even if filtering them with Tone knob can "make it".

You need to DISABLE tube section, because it is just a messy EQ curve.

With "PREAMP only" captures and good IRs with "tube in them", it can work.

But frankly as a whole product/solution, Mooer is FAR from serious.
    Too bad, because MNRS was a good concept ... badly implemented.
    And what is their last update ?
    It is already DEAD.

I still use a GE200 with this pack :
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/mooer-...e300-ge-labs-big-thread-with-free-pack.67523/

9. Kakuzu

Kakuzu Newbie

I think you may be right about the high-gain limitation. When I compare ToneX to NeuralDSPs high-gain models, or ML Sound Lab ML5, the ToneX sounds very "static" in comparison to these plugins. ML Sound Lab's gain seems to breath more, and react to how you play, whilst the ToneX doesn't seem to react to playing?

Maybe they need to incorporate some algorithms to make it more dynamic, so it's not too static? Make it a algo/convo hybrid?

10. Skellig

Skellig Member

Hi folks! Has anyone experienced this? I am loading the same tone model ( Hi quality @amalgam Fender clean/edge one) into both the plugin and the hardware pedal, same settings,.. etc..
    While the plugin sounds great, with the right amount of cleanish smooth crunchiness, the pedal on the other hand sounds thinner, much more clean with no crunch at all .. Am I missing something? Thanks so much in avance

11. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

@Kakuzu
    It seems ToneX fixed some high gain things in their lasts updates

Time to try their new 50 high gain amps to see if they REALLY fixed it :wink:
    It was probably a "too slow to react" dynamic trouble.

I wish it was not in the CAPTURE process ... because all those high gain captures for months would be pointless.

@Skellig
    Did you updated your pedal AND software to last version ?
    "New 1.0.5 firmware and TONEX version 1.1.6 are available. Solved the Input Trim."

Input Trim can totally change the sound :wink:

12. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Tried the new 50 high gain amps and they blew my previous edits out of the water.
    The frequency spectrum is much richer although you may prefer more frequency-specific presets to sit in the mix better.
    Lots more to go through.
    Christmas never ends with this pedal.
    You just have to sort out the lumps of coal:snuffy:
    Thanks to ItsFine for informing me of the Tonex software update :wink:

13. Rodger

Rodger Rock Star

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    • Love it! Love it! x 11
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. MaxSxB

MaxSxB Platinum Record

@Rodger Thanks again a lot for what you're doing man ! Could you share the way you're grabbing everything in case you would stop making these (even in private if necessary) ? Nothing is eternal, it's free work you're kindly doing and eventually someone will have to pursue your legacy !

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Lizard

Lizard Member

Im also interested would it be possible to grab amplitube presets library ?

16. Davman

Davman Producer

There is an amplitude Facebook group where you can go and download presets for free. Also, the copy of amplitude 5 from the other site included a lot of user presets. Finally, this guy sells a lot of amplitude 5 presets for a very low price. I've bought both tabs and presets off him and they came through a digital download and to me what I received was well worth the money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374760038261?hash=item5741705f75:g:wPsAAOSwq7Zkj0um

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Lizard

Lizard Member

Hey thangs for this, Ill give it a try

18. Rodger

Rodger Rock Star

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Harish Pamu

Harish Pamu Ultrasonic

cant wait :D

20. zib

zib Platinum Record

ToneX 1.1.6 / Amplitube 5.6.0 are on sister site.
    Anyone have presets to share ? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List