IK Multimedia ToneX - Discussion topic

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaxSxB, Oct 1, 2022.

1. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

I don't get people capturing plugins instead of just using it.

For personal use, ok, one can capture some presets from a plugin or two but man, all these nonsense and bad sounding captures, waste of time, in my opinion.

2. huckleberry finn

huckleberry finn Member

I kind of wish there were a video of how to do the database properly- I use Mac, for example. So obviously I am dumb as shit. I try to follow the directions here yet somehow it is lost on me. Not complaining. Just stating what is happening over here. Thanks guys.

3. Okaerinasai

Okaerinasai Member

The issue is that there are no filters in Tone.net and no "modeller" tag.

That's not to say that every modeller capture is bad or that people shouldn't share whatever they want but it should be easier for the users to filter out what they're not interested in seeing.

The Tone.net users posted earlier in the thread account for 1/4th of the WHOLE database and I personally like 0 of their captures.
    To me and a lot of others it's just bloat and it's part of the reason why people dislike the software: it takes too much time to find good captures in a sea of endless filler.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

Its the same with presets for popular plugins especially ampsims and not to mention synths plugins Hell i dl presets for NI Massive some years ago easely over 10 000 and it wasnt organized
    And i bet Kemper profiles sharing website is the same

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

Yeah it is much better
    With NAM you can train the capture with 10 000 epochs
    With Tonex only 1000 epochs
    And everyone who has dome a capture of their amps with BOTH hear that NAM is much better as Tonex

Don't know how much you have looked in to NAM but they have alot more amps than 5150 & Diezel
    Marshall
    Orange
    Fender
    Vox
    Bogner
    Soldano
    Mesa
    ENGL
    Framus
    Friedman
    Laney
    KSR
    PRS
    Randall
    Supro
    Ampeg
    Driftwood
    Mezzabarba
    Magnatone
    Hiwatt
    Tapp amps
    Dumble ODS dont know if is is a real one or a clone but some clones has been done
    To name a just few
    And alot of clones and some modded ones and also some orginal custom built amps that is not in production.
    And of course alot of pedals
    And there also some outboards i havent tested yet like some 1173 clones and some tape machines

But OK MUCH better is maybe i strong word as you can take alot of ampsims in the list and if everyone use the same IR and you dial them in to sound as close as you could against a real amp and then do a head to head test the difference between all those will be very subtle
    And in a full MIX noone could pick out which is which thats for sure
    But if you listen on isolated tracks using all those modelers and Tonex against the real amp NAM sure will stick out as it is almost impossible to hear any difference between NAM and the real amp all other have something that tells them apart from the real amp.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  6. Okaerinasai

Okaerinasai Member

Epochs doesn't mean anything, there's diminishing returns past a certain point so it's essentially training for nothing.
    NAM suffers from the exact same tonal issues as ToneX for full rig captures, the only thing that makes it seem like it is better is because the userbase is more tech-savvy and most of the captures are amp DI versus mostly full rigs for ToneX.

Null tests prove that they're essentially the same although it's absolutely no contest that NAM does gain-matching more accurately from the get-go without tweaking. It might be because ToneX compensates the neural-network aliasing in some way which NAM doesn't (it's very noticable because of the 48kHz forced sample rate).

I'm glad it's starting to get more variety in its captures rather than people capturing high-gain stuff, I've also seen their officially unofficial Tone.net equivalent and a NAM fork with a download feature baked in and that's frankly awesome for an open-source project.

I really hope the obnoxious Facebook user/fanbase of NAM isn't going to deter too much people from joining in, I've already seen a lot of great profilers give up on it due to the amount of beggars and overall hostility. :unsure:

7. Dontskiplegday

Dontskiplegday Member

There is no hostility on NAM facebook page. Sorry, it's nonsense.

8. Okaerinasai

Okaerinasai Member

There definitely is, good for you if haven't gotten that impression though. It's definitely a minority of people (mostly beggars being really offensive) but they have detered people from participating in the group already.
    Simply seeing how some NAM fans can't help but try to derail ToneX/QC threads on every guitar forum should be enough of a showcase.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  9. Dontskiplegday

Dontskiplegday Member

Again, it's simply not true. You are being overly melodramatic. I've read just about every post there is on NAM facebook page, and the majority of people over there are very polite and helpful.

10. Okaerinasai

Okaerinasai Member

I don't really think I am being "melodramatic", it simply is a fact that there are lots of NAM fanatics that can't help but be extremely obnoxious. :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  11. Lizard

Lizard Member

I think Black Angus is required because it is the default amp profile that gets load on startup. If you resave the default profile with some other amp profile included you will have to include that other amp in the future library if you want to avoid crashing. It happens when its trying to load an amp profile that's not in the library at startup.

12. Rodger

Rodger Rock Star

• Like Like x 10
    • Love it! Love it! x 8
    • List
  13. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. zib

zib Platinum Record

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  15. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

thanks for the updated db. Regarding NAM, it's probably sound better, but I'm gonna EQ the guitar sound and I'm an exceptional guitar player anyway (JK lol). I'd rather have this huge library in Tonex with some GUI eye candy, some simple built-in dynamic controls and reverb, fun browsing experience and still sound 95% like the real amp. Sticking with Tonex and I hope the people that been posting both version of the Tonex library will continue do to so because you are been doing the god's work. :like:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Soori

Soori Newbie

:thanks:
    The best thing since sliced bread.
    You can now edit the library from within this program.
    Was not possible before as far as I recall.
    They also added an info panel which is useful & save the horizontal scrolling.

17. zib

zib Platinum Record

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

It's possible using the SQL scripts I shared here, there are some ways:
    * Create a new db with only the models created by one user;
    * Create a new db with only the favorite models from other db;
    * Remove everything from a db except those models created by one user and IK;

19. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

Thanks for the profile links.
    As a pedal owner I don't have knowledge of db files as I just swap from the Tonex database.
    After auditioning 450 amps I have about 100 severely modified profiles that really sing, mainly high gain.
    Digging through the dredge is a hard slog.
    A lot of high gain profiles are too noisy for use, even with the really nice gate.
    Your recommendations are welcome

20. Yeni Slade

Yeni Slade Newbie