IK Multimedia ToneX - Discussion topic

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaxSxB, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Davman

Davman Producer

I have a noob question. I've noticed a clicking noise on a lot of the high gain models but not all. This doesn't seem to effect the clean or drive models. I've tried adjusting the noise gate but the noise is still there. Does anyone know what is causing this noise and know how I can get rid of it?

2. Golde

Golde Ultrasonic

yeah, I admit I did make my post before seeing the price too....it would be cool to have Tonex in a pedal format but $500 cool? and like you mention of course they aren't going to include any features in this (which they obviously could have) that would step on the toes of any of their other products. oh well.

3. PryKiller

PryKiller Member

I guess that I figured out the problem
    when installing theres an error with the compressed part .r03

Is there a 1 link compressed or uncompressed of tonex out there?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  4. notrace

notrace Producer

Daveman,
    I'm wondering if this might have something to do with your audio interfaces buffer size setting? Try upping it a little to see if that takes care of the issue?

5. PryKiller

PryKiller Member

If someone can upload the the uncompressed installer to mega or any site ill be forever thankfull with you

6. rruss

rruss Noisemaker

Totally get that but HX Edit makes Hx Stomp editing simple. Two very different pedals though, HX and Tonex.

7. Davman

Davman Producer

It seems that the issue is something to do with my Tele. When I select the bridge or neck pickup I get the woodpecker type tapping. When the pickup switch is in the middle everything is fine. I have tried it with my Charvel model 6 and there is no issue with no tapping in any pickup setting. I will try it with some of my other guitars when I can be bothered pulling them out of their cases. But thanks I will remember the buffer setting.

8. Davman

Davman Producer

Yes, I really need to put some time in learning how to use my HX Stomp to it's full potential.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  9. NethBT

NethBT Member

HX edit is so 2010 and extremely counter intuitive, GAWD I hate it so much, haven't used it since ...forever, something about the interface that is Yucky

knock off brands like NUX Quick Tone editor works like a charm though, super simple, fast and easy... ironically, I wonder why LINE 6 can't be this user friendly?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  10. prognroll123

prognroll123 Newbie

Hi guys! I am new to the forum! Just installed Tonex and looking forward to test it! @PryKiller, I'm really curious about your post... Were you able to compare the two versions to see if there is, indeed, a difference in sound? I was using the demo version until last week, but I only saw your post now, otherwise I would have posted the comparison!

11. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Have no problem with HX Edit and frankly it look like most editors for amp moddelers except that it got sliders which seems to upsert some people and others think it should have photorealistic icons well that would have made the editor a whopping 5-10 GB big instead of the ~100 mb today

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. PryKiller

PryKiller Member

Sadly for me yes, I will post the difference

I reinstalled with another installer that was not compressed and the difference still there

13. PicPocLeHerisson

PicPocLeHerisson Ultrasonic

Compressed or uncompressed installer will not change anything.
    Software compression is not destructive (mp3 or JPEG are, but .rar and .zip are not) so it doesn't matter.

Could you please post a short audio example (2 seconds is long enough to compare), with the exact same audio source, same preset, same everything... and post it in aiff or wave (to avoid compression ;-)

I'm curious about this, even if I don't really believe there's any difference...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. prognroll123

prognroll123 Newbie

I'm curious to hear the comparison! Yesterday I managed to make a comparison between a preset I had made on my HX Stomp where I tried to match a preset in Tonex and I didn't notice any difference greater than what I noticed in the demo version. But it's not a scientific test, because obviously the sound of the HX Stomp was very close, but not identical. Comparing the two versions of Tonex, it's even possible to perform a null test, inverting the phase of one of the audios and seeing if they cancel each other out.

15. PryKiller

PryKiller Member

Read my posts before this one
    I had a problem uncompressing the files, data error with the r03 rar part and I was thinking that this was causing the problem
    even tho the installation was successful later that part has an error

16. PryKiller

PryKiller Member

17. zib

zib Platinum Record

Thanks PryKiller; ok, they sound really different. I prefer the first one because it is more muffled, there is less treble. Anyway both are interesting.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  18. PicPocLeHerisson

Hi !

Thanks for your post. Listening to your samples, it is not necessary to make a null test, so huge is the difference...

Luckily, I have both a legit Tonex on my public boot system and a R2R Tonex of my private "Music" system.
    So I made the experiment to compare.

I freezed 3 captures from the original Tonex Lib, both with legit and R2R Tonex.

They sound exactly the same, and they are perfectly nulled when I reverse the signal.

I guess there's something wrong in your comparison process.

It's like the cabinet is missing on the brighter one, or my be some eq, or may be it is not the same capture preset...

But here, I can confirm that there's absolutly no difference between legit and R2R tonex, as long as you use exact the same capture and settings.

You may retry using a short sample file (2 seconds is long enough).

- Pick a Tonex capture, save it as a preset so you can reload it easily. (right click to save / export preset)
    - Disable any process on your DAW chain (no eq, no reverb, no fancy things on the track and on the master bus)
    - Freeze or bounce the processed file and then compare.

You may use a minimal project or song file that you can be loaded in both systems, to ensure it is the exact same process.

Let us know...

19. PryKiller

PryKiller Member

Is obviously the same preset, same instances of eq, gain on the amp and same cabinet

20. PicPocLeHerisson

Very very strange...

Could you export the Tonex preset you use from each project and post them ?

What Daw do you use ? If you're using Live, may be you can post the project(s) so I can help (may be...).