IK Multimedia ToneX - Discussion topic

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaxSxB, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Davman

Davman Producer

I'm happy with the cleans. But I get my high gain fix elsewhere. I'm sure that the high gain stuff will get there in the end. I recall that the following vid compared a real amp vs Tonex regarding how the control settings differ. Tonex have just released version four, which means that they are continuing to tweak and refine the product. So, onward and upwards.

2. Artem Bankin

Artem Bankin Member

PifPafPif

I can chug on everything ) even on freeware gclip ) owner of kemper ,,,and two tube heads ..
    5150 III stealth and prs mt15 )
    tonex chugging perfectly )

maybe you just can`t play )? or you guitar is cheap (bad) ....?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  3. bwzrd

bwzrd Producer

People comparing the parameters of a real amp compared to TONEX are completely missing the point of what ToneX is. ToneX is not an amp sim. It doesn't pretend to be. It's a signal capture and recreation system. The tone controls are there for tweaking. It's just a digital parametric EQ and IK doesn't pretend that it isn't.

4. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

You just joined my "ignore list" with that stupid comment ... nice shot !

5. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Totally right

Any control on a profiler (Kemper, QC, ToneX, Mooer MNRS ...) is a POST setting.
    NO, the gain knob will NOT react like the real one.
    Same for all others parameters : they are simply EQ, compressor ... nothing RELATED to the original amp.

That's why "presence" knob will NEVER make it chug : it is JUST an EQ, not a real presence with dynamic reactivity
    The only mean i found to make it chug is the VIR Resonance setting

@Davman Sadly, i'm not that sure...
    See Kemper : it is still "eating the mids" by boosting low mids and high mids for more than 10 years.
    Profiles makers just learned how to deal with it, in the capture process AND/OR post settings (definition, clarity ...).
    Kemper never fixed that for more than 10 years.

6. Rodger

Rodger Rock Star

In Tonex 1.04 :wink:

[​IMG]

New Additional Di for Auditioning
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. bwzrd

bwzrd Producer

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Golde

Golde Ultrasonic

I tremendously appreciate the people that have posted the additional captures, but unfortunately for me it caused tonex to load about 5 times slower nearly every time after installing the extra 3000 or so profiles. Anyone else had this problem? I had to uninstall it, manually delete the extra capture files, and go back to the stock max version. Just a head's up to people that it may affect loading times to the point it isn't worth it.

9. Artem Bankin

Artem Bankin Member

PifPafPif

Lol))

well, everything is obvious, another sub-guitarist - who is trying to replace his lack of experience - with bad software )

for joke ...- i made this clip - with GLCIP as "amp" 40 db boost)
    it chugs)

Attached Files:

10. Davman

Davman Producer

Yes, it loads slower, but I'm not complaining since I got it for free. I wonder if it also loads slower on the paid for version?

11. Golde

Golde Ultrasonic

i'm guessing it does, as it seems proportional to the number of profiles in my case, but I'm not sure. in my case though, it was a huge enough increase in load time that it made it unusable for my workflow unless I wanted to wait like 10 times as long for a session that uses multiple instances of it to load. There are plenty of decent tones to be had in the stock version anyway, and though I'm better at playing guitar than other instruments I'm more interested in getting a quick tone that sounds good so I can focus on the entire song.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Jal_76

Jal_76 Member

How can anyone not know how to chug . 0 0 0 0 0 0

13. EdgerFriendly

EdgerFriendly Member

I agree; also (to make things even worse) it increases the loading time of AmpliTube 5.

14. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

on my mac studio its take only 6 seconds to load Amplitube and almost 10 seconds to load Tonex,so no its no make things even worse,we should be grateful with the users that share the Tonex models

15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

with more than 3000 the load time is normal,there is no need to reinstall everything,just do a Library backup

16. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

Hi guys, forgive me for not reading the entire thread (it's long), but can someone answer this for me: Does ToneX have a use for someone that doesn't plan to capture amp signals at all?

Are there amp sims on there that Amplitube doesn't have?

17. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

Yeah I just wrote the entire amp suite off as a rock guitarist solution than a high gain one. Still think it's useful for that just not really something I would use regularly. Pick attack and palm mutes sound rather lazy with Tonex.

18. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

As i said since ToneX release, it is SLOW reacting.
    And so defeat the purpose of decades CRUNCH/high gain amps.

Compare ToneX to that :

And it is even more obvious PLAYING it : it is like hammering a sponge :rofl:

19. Golde

Golde Ultrasonic

I think the general consensus is that Tonex sounds better than amplitube. Personally, it took me a second to come around on it but it has come to replace Overloud and Nembrini stuff for me as it is lower cpu and does sound better...in a way. It seems like all the amp sim companies have gotten one part of the sound of a real amp down really well...kuassa captures the tube liveliness best ...nembrini dumble is great for clarity and just sounding good in general...overloud can sound pretty massive...but none of them got it all perfect. If only they would all join forces we would have the ultimate amp sim I think. In the meantime while I'm waiting on that thing that's never going to happen, tonex gets me close enough (though I still use kuassa and lostin70s for bass) that I can record all direct guitars and not have it bother me. To more directly answer your question, there are certainly enough profiles for me in the stock Tonex Max that I'm not really wanting for more (especially combined with my real pedal board), and I am a guitarist of 20+ years that has played professionally and done various international concert tours (mostly in south and north america). It's still not as good as the real thing for me, but certainly good enough for my purposes at the moment.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Golde

Golde Ultrasonic

oh, for sure. As mentioned in my initial post, I am very grateful for the people sharing the captures - I just wanted to mention that for some people it might make things unusable. I'm running Windows 10 and Tonex usually takes about 4-5 seconds to load stock, but way longer after installing all the extra captures. I stopped using the Maat plugins for the same reason...after having multiple instances of them in a session it just got ridiculous waiting for sessions to load (and the way I work on albums is kind of like a torrent downloads...a little bit on one song...then a little bit on another... so I switch between sessions a lot).

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List