IK Multimedia ToneX - Discussion topic

Discussion in 'Software' started by MaxSxB, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Rock Star

2. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Thanks.
    Is it just me or is this getting a bit out of hand?
    3348. Browsing through that library, switching every 10 seconds takes 9,3 hours :rofl:

3. zib

zib Platinum Record

@Rodger can you check please ?
    It seems like the new uploaded library is older than the previous one.
    October the 31st. 3242 components like Guitarmaniac64 here too.
    Thank you very much ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  4. Rodger

Rodger Rock Star

Check again please :)

library should be 62,287,872
    date 2-11-2022

5. zib

zib Platinum Record

60 243 968 octets and monday ‎31 ‎october ‎2022, ‏‎03:21:51
    Mega links ?

6. Rodger

Rodger Rock Star

not sure maybe mega didnt update with the overwrite feature

[​IMG]

new links
    http://peeplink.in/3a81e44e03e8

there is a few more since i posted about the update please test and report:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. zib

zib Platinum Record

Ok great ! Thanks Rodger ;)
    3352 results found.

8. JB44

JB44 Member

I guess they are gonna ban me. Or delete this post. So, this was a complete waste of time. I honestly was trying to help the community with something I found

9. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

WTF yo talkin about.. :hahaha:
    (in response to a massively random deleted rant..)

Summarizing:
    1.- You don't need to get the tonex database, because it's all there stock..

Well the stock library is quite featured,
    but don't forget the biggest feature of this software is the Capture/profiling of gear, and subsequent sharing..
    Without that feature tonex aint better than, I donno, Guitar Rig V1 or PodFarm.. lol

2.- IK Multimedia will make ToneX sound like shit if you ever connect to the internet..

Nah, in my experience it sounded just as bad the first time as the second and last.
    The only amp that cached my attention was the Dumble captures.

It's actually a good advice tho, block your DAW from the Internet as much as possible.

But nah I don't see this happening.
    If your sound messed up the next day, I'd check the wiring/routing of your setup.

Or maybe you got accustomed to it and realized how bad it is?

(I'm not bashing the software tho..
    Even if it sounds bad atm, I find it very interesting,
    it's got lots of possibilities and it will be improved over time.. :wink:)

10. hot rats

hot rats Member

Old timer blues rock fusion player here… 65 Deluxe tones are OK, maybe some of the Twin Reverb and Dumble, the rest of the “old” Fenders are ruined, probably they used new tubes in their amps? NOS tubes are essential for vintage tones. The software nevertheless has less fizz than other programs and seems to behave kindly with heavy picking. Mind you, I have a few of the original amps here, just trying to save my hearing by using amp sims. In this respect Tonex is passable but not better than Bias or Softube for the Marshall tones at least. YMMV

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  11. Davman

Davman Platinum Record

Yes, but having too many amps versus not many is a good problem to have. My ultimate strategy is export all of the ones that I think are great from the not so great. Though that could take some time. :)

12. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

You edited it yourself ... No one have deleted it .. :rofl:

13. zib

zib Platinum Record

Yes, or making "your own" presets out of profiles.

14. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

Spent a lifetime chasing that thing called Tone. Then became so disenfranchised, did some testes of my own. Found out what Jim came to realise. When it comes to Tone it's all so subjective that the whole argument over valves, transistors, amps is simply bullsh1t. When Kemper came along that was it for me. Sold all my amps, some expensive boutiques, never looked back, never regretted it. As for ToneX (Kemper in a software) It's early days, who can remember Kempers before the likes of Mike Britt and others came along with their expertise in capture profiling, mediocre right?. I believe ToneX will be the same. It's all about the quality of profiles and until a Mike Britt comes along for ToneX most will be mediocre.

Watch Jim and be amazed:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. hot rats

hot rats Member

@ "ThorntonQ "Watch Jim and be amazed"...
    Totally disagree, usually one proves his point about guitar tones on stage. I don’t like Jim’s guitar tones in this video, not even close with vintage amps, then is tone in the fingers, which I presume you would not agree either. To clarify matters more, I’m using germanium pedals (rangemaster) in an RME Babyface, sort of DI pre. This helps for presence. Do you believe that e.g. a fully warmed up 1969 Twin loaded with RCA’s and 2 JBL D120’s will ever sound the same with an amp sim? How about feedback from a real amp when playing loud on stage? I said YMMV.. you might as well accept it instead calling bullsh1t my opinion.. lol

16. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

It's a very interesting idea/video and shows some actual results,
    I was surprised of seeing him confirm his theory with that pedal rig.. however it's a bit dishonest.

There's clear differences in the sound of the elements of each topology, (you can hear them in the video)
    and when those differences are added together, the type of amp that you get and its capabilities/range will be markedly different from one to another.

So yeah, he's right about the overall premise,
    but in reality he's neglecting the very same essence of what differentiates one amp from the other,
    and that's whatever differences in tone, as big or small as they can be, each topology offers.

17. typical-love

typical-love Producer

This, to me, is what is lacking in every single amp sim... And it feels so strange to me that nobody cares, seeks it out, or addresses the fact that it's missing

18. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

I hear what you're saying, but you miss the point of ampsims, Kempers etc. They're not based on a live amp on stage, that's not what they were designed for. They are however based on an amp in a studio, quality mic'd up, quality pre-amp, tone for recording. Two Totally different tones and hence no comparison can be made.
    Don't know bout you but was inevitable being asked more and more for a quiet stage by FOH guys. Kemper fitted into that scene with ease. Guitar tone so subjective, it's 100% fairy dust imho.
    You need only look in the comment section of Jim's video. Tube/valve cultists rebuffing everything he said and proved. You believe the hype or believe your ears, but the bullsh1t talked about guitar amps matters not to me any more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Just imagine the Millions that have been spent in tryin to make a good tone recreating amps,
    just to get where we are with only partial success..

AxeFX, Kemper, Neural, Helix, Bias and the rest,
    great stuff surely, but nowhere near perfect yet.. it must be a difficult task indeed.

20. hot rats

hot rats Member

I hear you too. FOH is a disaster sometimes when they take over your tone! With a big amp… well I am the nightmare of the FOH! Seriously though, young professional guitarists should use alternatives to amps if they want to stay competitive. I would think that a proper studio will be the place for real amps and not for amp sims - or use both at least. Home studios are the place for amp sims along with ITB recording, mixing and mastering. Are you satisfied with ITB recordings etc? I believe that it is in the same boat with amp sims.