IK Multimedia presents: Mic Room for T-RackS

Discussion in 'Software News' started by theDingus, Nov 25, 2015.

1. theDingus

theDingus Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Re-mike your recordings with a virtual collection of over 20 stunning studio microphones

Mic Room is a powerful microphone-modeling tool for T-RackS that puts a world-class collection of over 20 classic and contemporary microphones at your fingertips. It gives you the power to process and "re-mike" your physical microphones to sound and perform like some of the most coveted microphone models of all time from ribbons to dynamics to condensers and beyond. It also offers a plethora of inspiring tone-sculpting tools that are conveniently ready for use in your favorite DAW.

[​IMG]

Top Sound quality

Mic Room offers an astonishing level of detail and accuracy, each of its virtual microphone models boasts the true frequency response, nuanced character and specific sound of its counterpart. That means you can tap into the harmonic complexity of tube condensers, the "in-your-face" tone of dynamics and velvety smoothness of ribbon types. You can even fuel your creativity with Mic Room's quirkier options, like tube and telephone microphones.

[​IMG]

Endless possibilities

Mic Room lets you effortlessly change the sonic profile of recorded audio to match the signature of a chosen microphone. Want to transform a dynamic into a condenser? A condenser into a ribbon? Well, Mic Room is a T-RackS module, so you can slap it onto an individual track (either inside T-RackS or as a standalone plug-in) and then change recorded audio from vocals and miked instruments and amplifiers. Once on a track, Mic Room lets you choose the original source microphone and then a new microphone to re-mike it with, so you can harness a new level of nuance, color and tonal character.

[​IMG]

Creative tone control

Beyond its high-fidelity sound, Mic Room also comes packed with a number of additional tone control features that have been designed to enhance your recording experience. The Proximity effect less you play with the "proximity effect" that naturally adds bass when a source is near a microphone. Dial it in for a rich and deep "FM radio vocals" sound. Or dial it down to scoop the low frequencies out. The Harmonic control effect gives you the full power and rich harmonic complexity of a tube condenser. This control lets you add saturation, character and texture to your recordings.

Plug and play

Though Mic Room for T-RackS can liven up the character of any microphone, it works best when paired with iRig Mic Studio, iRig Pro DUO, iRig PRO, iRig Mic HD,iRig Mic and other quality microphones and interfaces from IK Multimedia.

[​IMG]

Features:
    • Powerful and easy-to-use microphone modeling module for T-RackS
    • Comes with a collection of over 20 microphone models that includes dynamic, condenser, ribbon and other styles
    • Intuitive plug-and-play interface
    • Adjustable input level
    • Stereo control of left and right channels
    • Level meter
    • Master bypass switch
    • Proximity effect adjustment
    • Harmonic content adjustment effect

Specs:
    • Fully compatible with Mac OS X (Universal Binary), and Windows (XP / Vista / 7 / 8)
    • Supported plug-in formats: VST, RTAS, AAX, and Audio Units
    • Works within the T-RackS CS Standalone application
    • High-quality oversampling
    • High-precision and high-transparency digital processors
    • Accurately analog-modeled vintage classic devices
    • Full-latency compensation support
    • Supports sampling rates up to 192 kHz
    • DSM™ and SCC™ proprietary IK technologies for extremely accurate digital models of analog hardware devices
    • Native compatibility with 64-bit applications and operating systems
    [​IMG]

Mic Room is available now via the IK online store and T-RackS Custom Shop for just $/€69.99 (or just 70 Gear Credits)

More INFO: IK Multimedia | Mic Room

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

I love T-Racks man for mastering I get a way better sound then Ozone thanks for the info

4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Thanks Dingus. Full of useful information as ever.

5. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

IK is becoming a very interesting company as the Years go by... they covered almost all audio domains with great and competitive products

The graphic presentation of all of their software is really captivating.
    Bravo IK Multimedia ! :bow:

6. dipje

dipje Ultrasonic

I'm having a hard time believing that it can create the sound of a mic with good bass response (ribbon for instance) from the sound of a mic really lacking is bass response (dynamic like sm57 or something).

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I really don't recommend selling your mic collection and using this instead. I love T-Racks and I use a few plugins from it a lot, but this just cannot be even nearly as authentic as using the "real deal". Only if you know nothing about microphones you'll believe what they claim.

It's also quite logical that it works best with their mics. I wonder what other mics are supported except Sure SM57 and 58. [or Beta 57 and 58?]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

I will be using this to judge whether to buy Slate's one or if the idea in general is just bogus.

9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Why? Just think about what can be done with only an EQ. That's even without other effects. I'm keeping open minded

10. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

1st there was Antares. Then a plethora of useless IR's for Nebula. Then Waves jumped into the cesspool. Recently we had Mr. Douchey "I love buttons" McDouchebag Steven Slate's own version. Now we have Ik's!!!?? WTF REALLY!!? When will this horrendous illusion end!!!!??? Seriously guys, its essentially a dynamic equalizer. That's it. No voodoo whatsoever besides the slight of hand marketing. Look, I apologize if I seem all negative Nancy, but I'm just keepin' it real. The tech might be there years from now, but as of today, this is simply a cheap way for companies with an already established name to bring in some quick holiday bank.... I'd bet my 2015 tax return not a single pro mixer will ever use this for the application it was designed for. Maaaaaaybe possibly somebody will instantiate this crap as a happy accident/hail marry plugin, but thats about it... Cheers, happy holidays, pass on the cranberry sauce & this plugin DEFINITELY!!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  11. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Exactly! But even if it would work with their mics, it will still not be the same as owning stuff like U87, U47, VM1, C800g or a Bottle.
    These mics hooked to some great preamps will ensure pristine signal and the overall sound will be significantly smoother. Maybe this software will offer some "flavour", but it won't de-harsh the initial microphone completely like there'll be something magical going on.
    When you listen to a great record, the vocal sounds silky smooth even if the record is pretty loud and if you compare it with something which was recorded through a cheap chain you'll definetely notice the lack of smoothness no matter what. Gold in -> Gold out. This will never gonna change unless we're somewhere in time where we'll see flying cars, robot maids and teleporters.

12. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Guys, at least try the thing before judging ?!?

I understand Your points of view, but hey, it is a software.

It is like the Amplitube thing... I have a few good tube amps, and I agree that it is not the same thing like the software, but that Amplitube shit rocks
    And I think that a tube amp with loads of miked cabs, are far more complicated to simulate than a mike ?!?

Give them a chance :winker:

13. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Guitar Amps are not the same thing as a Microphone. A guitar tone is pretty flat and you're shaping its sound in the amping/processing stage to your liking, while a vocal is the most complex "instrument" in the world and the way you record it will be responsable of the end result as well. If you use a cheap mic you can't deharsh the vocal later in the chain to a point of comparing the finished song to a real record out there and still wondering why it doesn't sound as smooth. You do can tame the harshness to a point, but not completely remove it in order to sound the same as the "real deals".

If the guitar amps/cabs are far more complicated to simulate than a mic, then why is there some many amps simulators software out there like IK Amplitube, Kuassa Amplification One, Guitar Rig Pro, Line 6 Pod Farm, Revalver, Recabinet, S-Gear2, LePou, UAD, Plugin Alliance ones, Waves GTR, Overloud TH2/TH3, Magix Vandal, StudioDevil, Simulanalog, Presonus Ampire and many others, even over 20 freeware amp VSTs (why would anyone spend their time for such a hard task for free if it would've been really that complex and difficult?). There's not 1 single free mic simulator plugin that i'm aware of. The paid ones i know are Antares MicMod, Slate's alternative and this Mic Room by IK. There's also some Nebula impulses but that's not a fair comparision because dynamic IRs aren't algos. Also, most of these software guitar amps available today does a great job and are features in countless paid tutorials, while the mic emulators are still not a part of a pro's arsenal.

Hopefully you won't take my post as an attitude, :mates:just my opinion.

14. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Which one is harder to simulate was not the point.

As said, I respect Your right to have an opinion (and understand what are You talking about), but let them (IK) show us what they came up with.

15. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Okay guys yes probably not going to be some miracle plugin to change the world but I'm sure it'll be another tool to shape and experiment with sound

16. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I dunno.. I'm diggin it... whats wrong with it? Just another digital tool in our arsenal.

Dont like.. moooove on.

At least... less buttons.

17. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

I take one of the best singers out there, make him/her sing on a few physical billion dollar mics then make him/her sing the same songs on a few cheap mics. Take the recording takes and dump them in any of the two software from either IK or Slate. Grab one of the best mixing engineer to mix the tracks. After enough EQing/Decompressing/Recompressing and all sorts of ESSING (with all sorts of top of the line mixing plugins) then embed these vocals into a full recording with all the backing instrumental tracks!!! I bet my 2025 tax money that none of you would pass the tests on telling me which mics the vocals came from whether any of the physical billion dollar mics or which of the two software emulation. Yea, you'll guess your heart out and you may just guess right at some point BY LUCK, but the truth is NONE of you and I mean NONE of you will actually be able to tell HONESTLY and TRUTHFULLY which mics the takes come from after processing the sounds.

Honestly, Slate is taking a beating because, well... he is Slate. IK Multimedia is about to take a beating because they just came out with a software like Slate. And that's coming from most people across the many audio forums on the net whom NEVER get to demo the software. Some may even choose not to demo the software with fear that it does actually work and crush their false assumption; That's how hard they want to believe that it cannot possibly work! :rofl:

18. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Then you just confessed the fact that you never made music on some real studio monitors. If your subject would've been about "320kb/s vs 24bit wav" then yeah, you would've been right, but about mics? Are you serious? lol How are you going to remove the NATIVE harshness from a cheap mic (which you can notice from a mile away)? Just by using IK/Slate software? :rofl:Goodluck with that. I presume you didn't hear any difference from the IK's audio demos either.
    Why would someone fear about a great-working vst? That would be useful and admirable, but i don't see a Shure SM58 to turn into a Neumann U87 as the software advertises. I tried Antares MicMod in the past and it was useless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You just have to know that there's so much more to a microphone or a speaker than just frequency response. So much more. Then you'll understand that plugins like this are an impossible task to make, and the speaker simulators, too. All they do is the best approximation of the frequency response. In other words - EQ. That's it.

But if it makes you happy to experiment with that instead of just using an EQ then so be it. :wink: I've tried Antares Mic Modeler in the past and after some experimenting used an EQ instead. It's a useless plugin for me, sorry.

20. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Totally agree with that.

To be fair, the vast majority of plugins in the market are nothing but eq+compressor+saturation effect chains wrapped up in fancy UIs.

Get yourself a great transparent eq, a versatile compressor and a configurable saturator and you're done for 99% of your production tasks.

Honestly, sometimes I think the plugin market is just a psychological experiment conducted by some sort of government agency...You know, something to see how far they can stretch the limits of gullibility.

21. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

The vast majority of users don`t know how to use the EQ. Compressors and things to replicate let say a Marshall JCM800, so these developers offer a one click solution.

Most of these plugins are meant for the home user, not for the pro studio... the pro studio, in most cases have the real hardware.