IK Multimedia AI Machine Modeling - Kemper for Amplitube?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Arabian_jesus, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Seems like IK Multimedia wants in on the machine learning craze that started with Kemper, and that's been quite successful for companies like Neural DSP, Overloud and STL Tones. If it works like promised in the video they will be the first ones that offer amp capturing on computers for anyone, not only for companies that sell captures. The only other one I can think of is Guitar ML with their Smart Amp Pro, but it doesn't seem like a finished product just yet.

No release date as of now, just that it's "coming soon".

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

4. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

20 years...
    It's about f**king time these devs got off their asses and gave us proper modeling software.
    When do the rest of these dinosaur companies get on the bandwagon?
    Hopefully this will be a kick in the ass for these lazy f**ks.
    Also, how about putting this capability in my Headrush MX-5 in the next firmware update?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Component modelling (done right not like IK and some other ampsims makers) is way better i.m.o
    Who wants to go thrue 10 000 profiles when you can build your own rigs and tweak some settings
    Not to mention being able to tweak it on the fly live if it doesnt sound right in that venue?

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I do, because a Kemper is an exact representation of a complete recording chain, and it feels more like playing through a real amp. I'm not against VST amp sims, and I hope new developments in AI can take them to the next level.

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I guess you'll have both. The traditional FX chains and Amplitube's kind of "TH-U profiles" counterpart.

I don't see clear how you can AI-model just with your home computer. I guess it'll be online or an improved Bias-like profiling.

PS. AI is the new analog :rofl:

8. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Algos are WAY behind capture on "overdrive/amp/cab" chains

Even the last algos amps (like Helix) are sounding like cardboard compared to Mooer Capture MNRS, Kemper, TH-U Rig Player, Neural DSP (plugins AND Quad Cortex) ...
    You FEEL the strings and pick attack. Really.
    That metallic "clang", "scratchy ness" ... everything is here.
    I'm with @Zenarcist on this one.

BUT (example) Helix algos fuzzes CAN'T be reproduced by ANY capture process for now. Too extreme for REGULAR "AMP" capture.
    And they sound REALLY good :wink:
    Try Helix "Industrial Fuzz" (Fuzz Factory)

You know what i use as cab sim on EVERYTHING ?
    Nebula with OwnHammer 412-GTR MAR-CB MIX MSC captures
    V30 CH Studio Modern (China V30) is my fav ever on metal

Disable ANY integrated cab and use this gem.
    You will thank me later :wink:

PS : I don't count STL, because they sound "blurry" compared to others.
    PPS : as "no computer" solution, i use a Mooer GE200 with Anthony Class preamps AND OwnHammer revolution IRs
    And YES it sounds good with THOSE preamps, power amp setting and IRs

But effects s*cks on Mooer :rofl:
    PPPS : Kemper added a Fuzz Drive update in 2021

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  9. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

kemper is a software.

10. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Inside hardware ... like ANY digital hardware :wink:

But now wonder WHY they never made a plugin with their algos ?
    Like Kemper himself never did with Virus TI ? :wink:

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

IK Multimedia Announces AI Machine Modeling - 21/07/22

Breakthrough amp modeling technology for AmpliTub

IK Multimedia has announced AI Machine Modeling which they describe as a revolutionary new technology.

A spokesperson told us, "For the first time, using artificial intelligence, Machine Modeling software enables guitar and bass players, without any custom hardware, to model the sound of any amp, cabinet or combo, plus pedals like distortion, overdrive, fuzz, EQ or boost, all with a new level of accuracy that's virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. IK's powerful machine learning neural network captures the rig's tone in just minutes using real guitar signals, not just test tones, for a level of authenticity unimaginable until now."

Here's more details directly from the company...

How It Works
    Users simply route IK's special guitar/bass capture track through their setup to record the sound of any rig or piece of gear and then feed it into the Machine Modeling's deep neural network software together with the original DI track. The AI Machine Modeling software will compare the DI and wet signals to generate an exact algorithm of the modeled rig in minutes.

Tone Models
    The result is called a "Tone Model," a hyper-realistic, dynamic software clone of the rig or gear. Tone Models reproduce every nuance of an amp or pedal in precise detail with technology so advanced that even an amp and cabinet can be modeled together, then the two virtually separated to try other cabinets.

The algorithm can even capture an entire rig including harmonically complex fuzz, overdrive or other distortion pedals in front of an amp. And users can create all of these with just a computer, audio interface and reamplification box.

Minimal Hardware
    Creating a Tone Model is easy and requires only a few pieces of standard recording equipment in addition to a modern computer. An audio interface like IK's AXE I/O with its dedicated Amp Out is ideal for users to create Tone Models using a mic and no additional hardware. Or any regular 2 input/output audio interface and reamplification box can be used to capture amps, combos, and pedals.

Optional equipment for Tone Modeling without microphones includes a reamplification box to connect an amp/pedal rig to an interface, and/or an attenuator/load box to connect a power amp directly to an audio interface. And that's it.

AI Machine Modeling software does the rest.

More information: AI Machine Modeling

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2022
  12. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I'm guessing it's a similar kind of machine learning algorithm that the Kemper, Quad Cortex, Guitar ML Smart Amp etc uses. The kind that sends out various beeps and boops through your recording chain and the algorithm then tries to set a couple of different waveshapers and other FX to emulate the response as close as possible. That's how I have understood it work (although it's probably a bit more complex and involves stuff that I don't understand at all :knock:).

You will probably need a re-amp box to get a good quality capture. I'm sure that they will be trying to push their AXE interfaces and DI/re-amp boxes as much as possible for this reason!

13. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

I am not sure what to think. I feel like IK's stuff isn't bad. It's just massively carried by marketing and visual presentation. It's all nicely wrapped, but nothing IK has produced is amazong in my opinion. Modo bass sounds OK. Looks fantastic, easy to use, lightweight, but sounds just OK. The hammond organ is arguably the least realistic organ simulation there is out there, and it's officially endorsed by Hammond, which is absolutely mindblowing to think about.

I think this too will be super easy to use, and look fantastic. If we are lucky, it's going to be slightly above average. And if we're crazy lucky, it's going to very good. But there is no way IK is going to release a groundbreaking new thing. I don't believe it.

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

15. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

it is software. no matter what.