Iggy Azalea-Team; main grinding bass from the beginning?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ehxhfl443, Nov 29, 2017.

1. ehxhfl443

ehxhfl443 Newbie

Hi, how are you guys doing? So, I tried to recreate this sound (The main synth on Iggy Azalea-Team) by using Serum. (original sound)

I set Sawtooth as a carrier on osc A while using Sine wave as a modulator on osc b to make a FM sound. After that I did filter modulation and added hyper/dimesion, rectify distortion as FX with some EQ. And added some one-shot noise to add more 'raspy', 'metalic' sound that follows behind especially on the high notes. https://soundcloud.com/ehxhfl443/my-sound-team (my sound)

But my mentor/ teacher producer told me that he would rather star off by using detuned saw waves (5 voiced detuned Saw on A, 8 voice detuned Saw on B) and filter modulation, phaser, distortion, etc . https://soundcloud.com/ehxhfl443/mentor-made-sound-team (mentor-made sound)

Of course he was not saying what he made sounded exactly like the original does, but this is how he would start off and its 'basic structure' is more likely to resemble that of the original sound.

I am not saying that my recreation is as much perfect since I can definitely tell I still need to tinker with EQ,distortion amount and other details for sure. But I still think my process (FM)and the result are more similar to the original sound than what my teacher suggested...? (I actually tried using only detuned saw before he told me, but I could never get this 'metalic', 'raspy' 'harsh' with out detuned saw and distortion :()

Maybe I am too stuck with my ego since I worked on this sound for the past few days? lol. I am not gonna work on this sound any time soon again just to get my ears/brain off my perspective, but I would still hope you guys to give your opinions on what you guys think :) Thanks for reading guys!