If you have one reason for switching from FL to Live, what would it be?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by foster911, Jun 13, 2016.

1. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Uh, no need to switch. Just use both. I bounce around FL, Live, Studio1, and REAPER. If you are a handyman would you only use a hammer?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I don't know how someone could use just one DAW. I couldn't imagine.

3. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Funnily, as a Live user I'm strongly considering adding FL to my repertoire. There's no reason why FL is inferior at all. To the guy who said it's a toy, that's just dumb. Fruity Loops was a toy because it was developing when DAWs were more primitive and it didn't have much audio capability. But FL Studio... is a behemoth. It's no good for recording vocals, but for midi-based production and sound design it's probably more feature rich and sophisticated than any other DAW. I say that not having tried all the DAWs, but I just can't imagine anyone else has put more love and care into adding bells and whistles to their DAW.

Where it fails a little, IMO, is that getting the most out of it involves a steeper learning curve than a DAW like Live or S1. IL's plugins are not user friendly but are some of the best in the world. Harmor, Sytrus, Vocodex, Gross Beat, Edison, SliceX... these plugins are among the best of the best of their respective kinds. But they are not easy to learn to use. No DAW on the market has stock plugins in a class with Image Line. Sadly, their interfaces make people see them as chintzy, I believe. I know I thought that until I saw what they were capable of. Good lord.

4. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

its no good for recording vocals? Says who?

5. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

yes, most use more than one tool
    the only good reason to switch ones primary DAW from one to another, is he or she COMPLETES more projects with it

(but also.. if they are having more fun, like the colors better, or get more chicks, or gets better quality, or spends more time playing with it, etc etc)

6. R A X A

R A X A Newbie

i use pro tools and fl studio, fl studio is great i just hate when ppl say fl studio is for beginners or people who cant create music, so does a DAW need to look complicated in order to be professional ? really ? i say whatever works best for you..

7. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

sooo.. umm.. which DAW gets more chicks anyway

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Says me. To be fair, neither is Live. Do you record vocals, or are you just defending FL because you like it?

As far as I know, FL doesn't have take comping the way... oh... S1, Logic, Pro Tools, Reaper, Samplitude and presumably Cubase do. IMO - If your DAW doesn't have the bare minimum take comping features, it's fairly useless as a vocal recording tool. I don't want to open up ten tracks for my vocal takes and then do the crossfades by hand. That's ridiculous.

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

One Reason? :hillbilly:

FL sucks ass for audio.

10. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Switch step sequencer for a proper daw? You rlly need reason?

11. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

It's always FL Studio & Mixbuss(Now 32C) for me, can work in another Daws if a project is called upon but want my full creativeness let me be

12. statik

statik Audiosexual

a hammer fixes everything!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

its very user friendly cpu spikes almost never happen

14. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I do everything in FL Studio from producing, mixing ,recording midi to recording vocals and guitars. So in your opinion FL Studio sucks on vocals because it doesn't have a "do it for me" option regarding comping? lol. Stop being lazy, for me I get a feel of gratitude when I'm cutting, copying, and pasting phrases from different takes.

15. jim26

jim26 Noisemaker

The reason why i switch from fl to Live is because Live is more stable and because it doesnt hit 100% cpu usage just with a few third party plugins! FL is the worst DAW when it comes to cpu usage unfortunately!

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

How inane.

A DAW's purpose in existing is making it easier for you to make music. I can't think of a whole lot of features that are specifically "good" for vocal recording. Just recording audio and comping. If FL is only batting 500 (and it wasn't always) then it sucks for recording vocals. It lacks recording features of every DAW on the market except those that are specificaly marketed as production tools.

I guess my next question would have to be, have you actually used comping in another DAW? You wanna call me lazy because I don't want to use a shitty, makeshift workflow. Fine, but even ignoring that without loop record/comping you have to clutter your project with a new lane for each take and then (if you're by yourself) walk away from the mic, hit stop, arm a new track, and and hit the record button again every single time... it crosses from "stop being lazy" to indisputably impractical when you start thinking about fine edits. Moving shit half a centimeter here and there or adjusting the curves of the crossfades one track at a time just sucks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  17. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

lol, your comments on fl studio are so dumb it's not even funny anymore...
    fl studio does support comping,

and fl studio does not need to open a new track for every recording like all the other daw do,
    but ofc you didn't knew that because you never got to understand how fl works anyway.

stop saying dumb shit

18. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Eh, Edited. I'm not gonna keep arguing with the kind of brain trust that rushes in with insults to defend the honor of their favorite DAW. Insecurities abound.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  19. I have been using FL Studio since I started once again recording music, I guess now it has been six or seven years. I am happy using it and it can do anything that I need it to do. I guess that every DAW has strengths and weaknesses, and FL Studio is no exception. However, the one single greatest thing that I wish that it could do would be to do a simple one button freeze. . After all this time I don't really understand actually why they cannot seem to deliver this and bring it to us users, but other than that I seem to be getting on well enough without it.

20. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

True enough, but in return you get Edison. I use Edison in Live to resample. 10x more convenient. than changing the routings, setting monitoring to IN, soloing stuff, etc.