If you have one reason for switching from FL to Live, what would it be?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by foster911, Jun 13, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

It would be because I have an apc ( a present) that has not been used in 2 years.
    viewed video 1 and 7 but didn't see anything significant that fl studio can't do,

as for the sampler, I really can't think about many options I would add,
    I would make the fade in and out with different slope options, more arpeggiator options in the sampler menu
    but that's about it.

I just can't get my workflow on par with fl.
    And I know how strange it sounds, but that is mainly when recording

I just need monitoring to be "right from the start" that means everything is routed, grouped.
    no bullshit between takes, certainly not with vocalists.

the 'artist' should not be both-ert with what is happening inside the box,
    that is why I still fire up fl studio for most of the sessions, and studio one is my second contender

[​IMG]

4. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

A special offer (+ AKAI LPK 25 coupon) :)

5. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

The Session View!!! The sampler! Effect Racks! Drum Racks!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Lepow

Lepow Producer

not ment to start a flame, but like 10 years ago when a friend showed me that some software could make my computer make music like an beefy instrument, i was shitfaced, it was fruity loops 3 or someshit. imagine when i saw them reason cables, and kept going, i like live today, and as far as i can look back, FL was a toy, entrance level shit....

7. DGWyler

DGWyler Member

Man, I don't would change FL for anything...
    Btw, the track stacks options in live and logic always make me jealous, haha

8. TranceDarker

TranceDarker Member

because it is marketing.

Since Cubase 5 : Everyone can't use latest versions of Cubase since it can't be cracked and they can't do tutorial for Cubase 5 anymore.
    Since Logic needs only MAC : PC users more than MAC at least where i lived in world.
    Since a lot of sheep think that FL is just like toy and not so professional, they try to get Ableton as latest and fresh DAW.

So what is alternative Ableton . They gain more legal download for ableton tutorials.

That's all . IT is not because of Ableton is best DAW for Electronic music .

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

I switch from flstudio 11 to ableton, because ableton has better routings of midi and audio.
    I have a virus ti2 and in fl studio i can't use the atomiser of the virus ti2 via the USB cable.
    In fl studio i have used real audio cables to use the atomiser.
    It's the same for the audio input from the virus Ti2, i had to use audio cables while I saw videos of ableton where they used only the USB of the virus ti2.

And ableton work more organized with automations.
    In fl studio i had the automation lines everywhere in the track..it was alway a big mess.. (could be my workflow too)

and Freezing a track is also very nice!

and what I read back in the last messages... the drumrack, instrumentrack and effectrack wow i wouldn't be without it!

but I must admit that I really missed the piano roll of fl studio at the beginning.
    it took a long time before I was used to the boring piano roll of ableton.
    Now I am very happy with ableton and I regret that I have not rather been switched to ableton.

10. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

I own both.... FL is not a toy at all, and haves many advantages compared with Ableton, the same way haves disadvantages too.
    Ableton is a German company, and believe me, they know how to sell a product. Just remember one think... Ableton sponsors many artists to use their software and hardware, and that's what you see.
    To me there are now only one company making truly progresses on the DAW war.... BITWIG!

11. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I don't know what made me change from FL to Live. My first DAW was FL, like for many other people. For some reason I decided to make the transition to Live and once I did I couldnt go back to FL.

What makes Live superior is its very efficient mixing and arrangement system which for me beats many other DAWs including FL. It's just so easy to group busses and route using the session view as well as the arrangement view and it's just all clearly and cleanly laid out that really makes things streamline.

The midi editor/piano roll is also just so warm to use.

When I went back to FL for a bit I actually had a terrible time using it after experiencing Live, despite the fact that I have actually made more tracks using FL back in the day than I have had with Live...

My biggest problem with Live though is I actually cant get to finish tracks... I've made so many sounds unfinished or deleted but maybe that's just because I started using live at a time where my skills were advancing or such, but regardless it was a tough thing. Nevertheless the process of engineering your mixes in live is so much more intelligible and logical...

That being said I feel like my Live days are maybe coming to an end. When I find the time, I'm going to give Studio One a try and see how that fares and if I like it than S1 is my new default DAW :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

FL is my favorite one. I can be more creative with it but I need just 4 things:
    1- a good wavetable synth like Serum.
    2- more advanced modulation FXs & EQ.
    3- enhanced midi and piano roll.
    4- importantly a sampler with lots of parameters allowing to automate all of them.
    If those facilities would exist in the next releases, I would never use even 3rd party plugins.

When I watch tutorials on other DAWs, I always think how I can do the same things in FL. I have not found any weird thing that FL can not do except working with the samples and audio clips. Some DAWs have been specialized mostly for them but do not have the capabilities of FL in sound designing. Also FL's arranging differs from all the other DAWs that let me have more freedom.

For me working with FL is so easier than Live and I can not use both of them at the same time (various architectures) but when I see how Live's users work with samples I envy them. Sampler is the fundamental element of any DAW and I really don't want to use 3rd party tools for that purpose.

13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Max4Live.

Ableton Link and the implementation of touch screen interfaces like Touchable or imaginando's LK.
    FL Studio Mobile HD is a good start but compared to the functionality of Touchable it begins to pale.

And WARPING.

I don't use FL personally.
    Bitwig is awesome (especially the built-in LFOs) but lack of rewire was a huge let down (for me and my spaghetti patching sensibilities). The product still rocks and is more than capable.

N̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶a̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶D̶i̶g̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶ ̶W̶o̶r̶k̶s̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶D̶i̶g̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶A̶u̶d̶i̶o̶ ̶W̶o̶r̶k̶s̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶

Some of the greatest works I've heard were made with software built decades ago.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Forgive me for my dickishness.

15. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

For me it's the fact that Live does not really force me into one specific workflow.
    If I want to record linear tracks, I can do it.
    If I prefer to record pattern by pattern and fire them off in arbitrary order, I can do it as well.
    If I want a Looper, I can configure it that way.
    If I want to control anything by any key or midi controller, it takes me one second to configure it.
    If I have a weird FX chain of any built-in or VST/AU Instruments or FX in mind for which I want to freely define macro controls for any knobs and any ranges, I can do it as well.
    If I want to preview OGG, WAV, AIFF or REX loops in-sync with the currently playing loops, I just use the minimalist browser.
    If a beat needs a different groove, I can use the warp markers.
    If I feel like syncing my iPhone or iPad music apps with Live rock-solid over WiFi (something not even Korg managed to achieve, even over bluetooth), I just turn on Ableton Link.

Live is not the only DAW I use, but if I had to choose a DAW that gets the least in the way of me composing music, I would still choose Live today.
    It's not about power, it's a lot about usability, and that's where Live simply fits my personal taste.

16. real

real Kapellmeister

One reason:
    BECAUSE YOU WANT TO!!!!
    No need to explain yourself....Which one do you like better? And not that you need to answer this, but why?
    Notice that you don't need anybody else to answer this question for you, let alone a forum thread full of different answers.

Nobody will care about this answer, because it is the most uninteresting one. But it's also the truest one. And some of us need to be that person who ignores all the marketing bullshit and hyperbole and just gives you the real.

Now that all the DAWs have fully functional demos for a set time period, there is no more reason to ever have to ask this question again...

Also no more reason to argue about why one DAW is "better" than the other

17. foster911

foster911 Guest

I don't know how many of you have this problem:

I'm getting addicted to any specific tool and supersede its alternative by my chosen one and do not follow their (alternatives) updates and think that mine is the best. After passing some time I'm getting bored of my tool and again refer to the alternatives and I see somethings in them that I have not seen before and simply ignored them and this cycle repeats and repeats.

IMO DAWs are like the wives. We should choose just one. 2 or more of them make the life more complicated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. statik

statik Audiosexual

the most credible reason i can think of for making the switch from FL to Live would be that i either went insane or got hit in the head by a windmill

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

If you have one reason for switching from FL to Live, what would it be?

My computer didn't turn on, but yours did.

20. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

The Freaking CPU Hunger the Mixer...

21. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Go for Bitwig. Most programmers of Live left Ableton and started Bitwig. Live has some great tools but with many limitations. For example, no vst bridging. No vst3 support.
    I think you should wait for Bitwig 2. I dont have much expectations from Live 10.