if you have a melody in ur head whats ur process to write it down as midi

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by petrrr, Jul 23, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

if you have a melody in ur head whats ur process to write it down as midi

i'm mostly concerned about the rhythm than the pitch

do you have any particular method to get the length value of the notes right for each note

3. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

I first sing it with my foot marking the beat. Then in my DAW, replace my foot by a be or metronome, adjust the speed, and play it on the keyboard. If I'm unable to play the notes because of technical limitation as keyboard player, I play one note with the notes lengths, then edit with the piano roll.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I usually do it on piano but sometimes I just sing or whistle it on mic. Then convert it to midi with the help of Melodyne.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I don't know if my opinion will be very useful. But I always record the melody on my cell phone, it's the fastest thing I can do so it doesn't go out of my mind. Then if you need to midi it, I'll grab my guitar and play it with Midi guitar and once I've got it midi, I'll fix it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

Same as me but i record in my phone as well... :break:

FYI several times i dreamt i played instruments somewhere unknown or sometimes music was playing around me in my vivid dreams, whatsoever as i woke i recorded on my phone, till date i have 131 tunes which i got in my dreams :mad:

Oh i use FL Edison's (convert to score...) feature, well i'll use Melodyne from now on :hifive:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  7. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

i just tried melodyne it does amazing job and quick, also it sets velocities for each midi note based on how loud or quiet you played it, amazing!!!

although, either i played it in quite bad...or it needs a lot of adjusting, which Olymoon method seems the option now

either way thanks guys!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  8. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I have had the same situation as you. And it's a bit frustrating because until you go to the phone to record and you have the melody in your head, as you wake up it goes away.

I don't know if the same has happened to you. But i dreamed of chords that I could never recreate

9. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

I play a melody on MIDI keyboard and try to arrange all notes in detail. Then I write it in piano roll.

From the beginning I also determine a time signature of a melody. Or, more precisely, I determine metric grid and metric structure, that is a time signature AND durations of notes (4th, 8th, 16th, triplets etc.). Tempo is also important. It's an inevitable stage as we may write the same passage by different manners (that is as 8th notes or as 16th notes but twice slower). It's not possible to write a melody without making these decisions.

I don't know an intent of your question but if you just start music making you should spend some time to gather basic knowledge about musical rhythm and notation.

10. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

Earlier i used to forget but now it's easy as i keep my smartphone beside my pillow and most dreams now i dream in the morning, once i dream i usually get waken up then i record everything i can recall with foot marking just like @Olymoon darling.

As aforesaid i record immediately after awaking, now my brain is trained at it but after max 60-90 sec i forgot everything what i saw and heard in my dreams.

I can't tell how sad i become when i can't remember the beautiful unknown places, angel lookalike girls and sweetest tunes. Still i can't forget a dream i dreamt in 2016, a heaven like place where i stood by a river, then a very beautiful just like celestial being came to me, befriended with me, then took me to a garden where a beautiful tune was playing in the air, there she looked in my eyes, smiled and held my hand then asked me if i have ever been here, i said no, she said it's okay i will show you each and every places of here, then i got woke up, in that time somehow i managed to record that tune but i forgot the unknown place and the girl's face...:sad:

Most of the time i dream such vivid dreams of girls, places and music, other time of ghost, robbery, fighting, riot, war etc.

I still can't fathom why i see such things, hear such tunes, go to such places, meet such girls in my dreams, is it any supernatural or Godly or scientific or normal incident who knows... :dunno:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

I Forgot the name of the Plugin but i know it was requested some time ago on Sis Site. The Advertising was something like if you can sum it or whistle it you can get it to midi. I remember that in the First Version you needed their mic and in the second which was requested you could use any mic. Hopefully somebody can help me out.

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I'll hum or sing a melody/tune into my phone recorder and then expand it when able.

13. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

This would make a song :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

Ahem ahem [but someday with a beautiful, adorable, La Meilleur Parisian for sure], no thanks Darling @Olymoon :trolls:

I'm not like @Olymoon , Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish or other PTSD-ADHD Gen-Z. I'm okay and satisfied every dream i ever dreamt in my life:chilling:

Before signing off i wanna scratch some Gen-Z's back (i love it, they love me back with...:hahaha:) if any is present here and reads it https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanschocket2/sixteen-reasons-why-generation-z-is-the-worst-generation-2 :lmao:

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I record lots of ideas on my phone. Drag those (from my cloud) into my DAW and convert to MIDI via Melodyne or the built-in in Cubase.

16. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Dubler2 ?

17. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Yes @Ryck Dubler2 is what i was looking for. :mates:

18. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

There's another one like that on AZ name starts with M or something and version is 0.4xx/0.6xx... :speaker:

19. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I don't know how to say something without saying it. xd Let's see... I have an "elephant" demo version that I got somewhere, but that "elephant" needs someone "brave" to make the "Elephant" fly. If you want, I'll send you the "Elephant" by PM. But from now on I tell you that it asks you to log in

20. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Midi Guitar?

21. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

I can barely remember but it records (via mic) voice to process it into midi...it's there on AZ...posted 5-6 yrs ago...it was criticized by members immensely...unfortunately i didn't download that hence can't recall or tell you :mates: