if you could only keep one compressor...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Misterguywick, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

what did I say about not talking to me? Do I have to send the Inquisition or Armada against your spaniard ass?

2. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Lol I'm not pissed... :D
    I'm just interested in what makes the glue the best compressor. and what means "best" to you.
    The keyword "glue-compressor" (any hardware owner may now laugh once ... ok, that's enough ^ ^) shows already that it can not be a "clean" compressor.
    "High end sounding algorithms"... what is an algorithm in this case? It is a collection of hard-coded presets. In principle, you can achieve the same sound with any compressor that offers free access to rms, peak, time constants, and m/s-sc.

I do not want to talk bad about "the glue" or make you look bad here. I'm just wondering what the reason for the hype is. :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  3. 30hz

30hz Producer

cubase 5 stock plugin comp

4. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

well quoting off of cytomics website:

"The Glue is an analog modeled compressor plug-in based on The classic 80's British big console buss compressor with some handy additional features. It uses the same high quality algorithms used in circuit simulators, but optimised to run fast, and features a gorgeous fully scalable user interface."

I just use my ears, and I hear the results in my work. The hype exists because most of us have tried many digital compressors, and this for me proved most effective on my tracks, especially low end very clean and transparent results...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The point is, it isn't a clean digital compressor, but an analogue emu with a few extra nice harmonics.
    Also, the lower the ratio, the lower the threshold and this results in a different compression than changing the ratio only. A smart move, imho.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

yes it's just the added harmonics, adds a clean sounding punch to the drums that's what a bus compressor does. Harmonics isn't clean I guess but just my ear interpretation. I suppose transparent is a better word...

Again, just my ears, I think the glue does it nice. Yea you could probably achieve it with some other compressors and a bit more processing, but I didn't go that deep, it's just an opinion based thread lol... I do believe I said "imo" in the previous posts like 10000 times...

7. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Fair enough, but it isn't clean or transparent not just because of the overtones, but because of how the compressor handles the stereoimage :)

Oh, I love this PR nonsense. "It uses the same high quality algorithms used in circuit simulators, but optimized to run fast" ... that's BS in itself^^
    Even if a very simple component-level circuit with 256 states (which are still extremely few states... some expensive digital hardware processors calculate more than 16000 states) is measured and modeled, it requires an incredible amount of processing power and a lot of time to process a single second of audio when extrapolated to the entire device.
    Good, modern plugins may calculate 4-8 states per component. And then they already belong to the cpu-hungry plugins... so yes, it's the same method, but not the same "high quality" algorithm... Don't be fooled by marketing agencies! :rofl:

8. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Haha yeah I know it's just hype shit, I'm not really basing my judgement off that. At the end of the day I'm aware its a digital product no where near analog processes. You just asked about algorithms and rather than typing up an essay myself just thought I'd throw a quote...

I'm not really stuck on the algorithms either, the fuck I know anything about algorithms, that was just my shitty way to explain what I'm hearing...

As I said, I work based off my ears, and I am confident with my ears when it comes to mixing and mastering. Don't know the deep technical details of how compressors work from the backend, for me the frontend matters...

You clearly have much more experienced knowledge on the technicalities of this stuff...

Again, just a shitty opinion, if it works for me it works for me right? I feel like I've fucked with enough compressors to have some level of judgement...

9. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I guess I also say clean because that's how I use the compressor to sit in my mix. Analog emu obviously isn't clean I suppose, but my mixes are and I'd be lying if I didn't say that compressor helps lel...

10. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

You do not have to :no: I just wanted to clarify the ridiculous dimensions we are talking about when it comes to "high end" or "high quality" marketing blah blah :suicide:
    yes, that's all it's about! :wink:

11. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

all good man, just words at the end of the day...

12. saltwater

saltwater Guest

Cytomic is proud to announce a collaboration with Ableton, including the inclusion of The Glue as a native Live 9 device, and a new algorithm for their EQ 8 device.

The Live 9 device Glue Compressor features the same award winning algorithm of The Glue, as well as an integrated sidechain selection and EQ panel.

The new algorithm for EQ 8 is an analog model of a linear SVF circuit, and as such shares the excellent noise performance, as well as ultra smooth modulation properties, of the ideal circuit. The cutoff of EQ 8 can be swept smoothly with automation without the horrible artefacts of commonly used EQ algorithms.

Cytomic looks forward to helping out with further advice and improvements to the outstandingly intuitive and wonderful Live software made by Ableton.

13. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

330175.jpg

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I always appreciate when they add this to compressors. Makes it easier to compare different ratios without fussing with the threshold as much.

15. No Avenger

The only tool that really matters.

And just for the books, my comment was meant as an addition to yours, not as a correction.

16. [​IMG]

You just can't beat that old hardware valve sound.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. No Avenger

I don't think it makes it easier per se, it's just different.

18. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

What I'm saying is, with something like the Glue - at least the Ableton version, i don't have the vst - I can just flip back and forth between 2 and 4 to 1 and usually have it applying similar amounts of gain reduction, which makes for a more hassle free comparison. Obv need more adjustments to make a serious decision, but for a quick "which setting do i want for now" sort of thing its nice

19. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

:wink: