If you can only pick one of them: SD3 or BFD3?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Futurewine, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Just wondering which one you prefer and why? I can't decide xD

I like BFD3, sounds "acoustically" better to me than SD3. Plus, I could go with Platinum Samples library with BFD3.

SD3 somehow offers much more productivity for writing a drum track, better midi library structure (organized), "Tap2Find", Drum Tracker, and so much more cool features for writing a drum track.

If you can only choose one, will you go for SD3 or BFD3? and why? =D

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Using one mainly as a sound source, BFD3 for sure. I find that doing the bulk of production in the DAW
    give unlimited possibilties

4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

It's a pity you never threw AD2 in the mix, because I choose that over SD3 (At least so far, but that may change in time)

I haven't used the other one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Was using both. Bfd gives you a raw sound while SD is kinda mix ready solution. Both great. SD - fast result, great workflow, BFD - enthusiast's solution for the custom mixing.

6. julianbre

julianbre Producer

SD3. Fast work flow and the core library has some great kits. Try turning off all the effects and eq on each channel of SD3 before you decide.

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Easy: SD3 because it's more stable. FXpansion plugins in general tend to bring down your DAW. If I hate something when I'm in the middle of a creative experience it's crashing. The other thing is running out of wine in the middle of the night.

I'm actually often using Addictive Drums 1/2. Not SD3 nor BFD. But I have a lot of experience with SD and BFD. Just convinced me to not stop using AD. :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Toontrack SD3 I'd pick if I had to chose one.
    It's the first I reach for when either programming my own drum tracks or tracking a drum kit with a drummer that likes to use triggers from just a kick through to a trigger on every shell.
    That is just my humble opinion FWIW though and there are many benefits and therefore arguments which easily refute my personal bias.
    Ultimately it is a matter of taste, The results that can be obtained using the drum stuff available today is incredible really, It wasn't even
    a remote possibility when I started, Sound Replacer in Pro Tools and Wavemachine Labs' Drumagog we're the tools which after having to do
    an awful amount of messing around prior them, Just enhancing a kick was a manual process unless one was happy to use triggers with a sound module to add to the plain sound of a decent kit, Which I wasn't averse to at all but it was not always suitable but nowadays what anyone can do with a decently captured multi-tracked drum kit is endless in scope.

All the best to all as always :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

SD3 mostly now, latest version 3 is more convenient than 2. AD2 also. It depends.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Dirty Hairy II

Dirty Hairy II Ultrasonic

...This...I really like some of BFD's sounds, but it seems every time I started making progress on something, it'd crash...I never could put my finger on what would make it crash either, so I've steered away from it since SD3 was released...

SD3's new features are great too, & all Toontrack software I've tried is just really easy to use in my humble opinion...

11. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I am a fan of BFD.

Have not experienced any crash issues but I don't loop around much.

I like the sound and the articulations and velocities sound good to me, which is what I like the most about it. I've been on it for two versions now and haven't really tried anything else that's an ITB VSTi for drum sounds. I also the like drum sounds in the Kronos I tend to switch between the two depending on mood and feel, but I am quite happy with them.

• List
  12. Fernando Roma

Fernando Roma Ultrasonic

Never used the BFD, but the Tracker function in SD3 is a must for those who record live drums. I use the Addictive Drums in addictive trigger too, great sounds to use together with the live kit, for total replace i prefer SD3. Hope that help you

13. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

BFD only because it’s raw and some of the dsp features... Generic ready to go I might go with SD3... But overall I’d still say BFD3 wins... The only thing hat reaaaaaaally bugs me about BFD is that they have a very narrow selection of genres. Heavy rock metal and jazz... I have yet to see them produce a library catering to vintage minimal Drums reminiscent of the classic funk 45s ala Stax & Motown

• List
  14. thedudeman

thedudeman Member

Tried these?

https://www.drumdrops.com/drum-samples/60s-Motown-Kit/the-drum-kit

• List
  15. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Just before you decide on one of those, I thought I'd let you hear a sample of AD2 in the mix.

• List