If music is math and technology a calculator, does it matter to know how music really works?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Without the math there is no calculator.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Hey guys and gals, I just learned most of my ABCs and I just installed the latest Microsoft Word.
    How long 'til I start writing masterpieces in French?

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. spyfx

spyfx Guest

Best Answer
    Q : If music is math and technology a calculator, does it matter to know how music really works ?

A: IF.

Love you @foster911 ,follow your bliss always & have a nice day :keys: :wink: :bow:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Blorg

Blorg Producer

[​IMG]

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before," @foster911. "He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.” ―WikiQuote

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

just have fun and stop creating problems where there's not

:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. l0liv3r

l0liv3r Member

There is good and bad to everything, I started to study music theory from its most basic forms and decided that I'm not gonna keep studying this because I have a feeling that to me personally, this will limit my creativity on more fronts than it will back me up.
    The man who made the calculator is actively solving numbers even today because of his thinking. Because he was clever enough to figure out how to create the calculator he is now doing every human being a service every time we use the calculator. That's how I see it, I don't see a living "A.I" behind the thing, I see the one who created it and with his mind carefully calculated the creation so even in his death his actions would impact every human being on the planet, Like ripples, or like a delay, over and over again, softer, slower, lower, until almost everyone forgets who first actually created the calculator.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

if my Aunt was a Guy , it would be my Uncle but does it really matter , as long as i get my birthday envelope

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@taskforce Thanks for a hilarious post! :wink: You're a riot. :rofl:

What I still have to learn is how to be humorous. Ahh... there's always something to learn and life is too short! :sad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Today I farted. I farted quite a lot. I am ok though. Thought of mentioning this because this thread needs a bit of fresh air.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. robotboy

robotboy Producer

I think we're at a point where people are more focused on "producing" music than they are on writing music. More focused on sound design than songwriting. This too shall pass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thank you so much guys for any comment. Ignorance is my motivation to live inside the unconsciousness. I love it. :bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

the technology is a means to an end.
    which is music, which is ineffable.

13. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

incoherent is fosters special subject.....

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Music making is not like finding some tricks like this video and putting them into action and amazing people and thinking everything is done properly:

Music is an unharnessable phenomenon and no one (even its creator) can ever understand how it actually works. What we do is just acquiring some techniques for its creation and performance. Creation doesn't mean its creator 100% knows everything. All these processes are mostly done unawaringly by relying on unconsciousness to guide us. Technology is a facilitator to let us move thorough this unconsciousness and enjoy it more without fully getting what's happening inside and outside of our bodies.

The only individuals who would oppose me are music teachers or people who have spent their lives on grasping special kinds of techniques with this dream in their minds that they're enough for making every kind of music and also teaching them to their students and getting praised. They've reached a high degree of absolute certainty that allows them to vehemently and categorically deny everything they don't want to exist.

As @filtersweep said music is ineffable to be formulated. Also the title of this thread was just for easiness in conveyance of my intention not exact resemblance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2018
  15. Jeff Maneville

Jeff Maneville Ultrasonic

1- Are you still striving to know how everything works exactly?

To some degree, yes. I think that knowing basic music theory is critical for anyone wanting to move forward with their music whether for fun or fame.

2- Do you think by knowing how the things work exactly, you can produce better music?

Again, to some degree, yes. I proved it to myself years ago. Back in the early 70's, I had been playing for a number of years but was stuck in the Pentatonic mindset (nothing wrong with that, I just wanted more). I had a good friend who was a phenomenal player and I asked him for some direction. He asked me if I knew music theory and I said, "just a bit". He said, "learn basic music theory and you're playing will improve 100%". I had enough respect for Wayne's playing and opinion so I did just that and he was right! Not that my technical skills improved 100% but my ability to express myself on the guitar improved 100%. Just for one small example ... I play a lot of Blues/Rock and when I learned that the I7 chord (A7, for example) is actually the 5 chord of the key of D major, I could use all the arpeggios and ideas from D major in just the I7 chord. I came up with a dozen more melodic ideas that I could use in my playing. Basic music theory, for me at least, was like learning the grammar in a new language so I could speak with others more fluently and have more to say. That was just the beginning.

I still love the Pentatonic scale and it's my base but I learned to see the chords all over the neck and now, rather than playing scales (modes, notes, etc), I am thinking/playing intervals over the chord changes (even if it's only I IV V).

3- Is your aim music production or just acting like virtuosos mainly for showing off?

Neither. I now just play for fun. I've been playing guitar for almost 50 years and it's the one thing I have left that is pure joy.

Just as an aside, I have known hundreds of musicians over my life and I've never heard one who knew music theory say, "yeah, I used to be a great player and learned theory and now I suck". The only people I've know who thought music theory would hinder their skills or expressive abilities are the people who never learned any theory.

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Music fans in awe while listening to Foster's Best Of Vol.2 unable to fathom his unharnessable musical phenomenon
    people-being-amazed.jpg
    Yep, here's me acquiring some rare piano techniques:
    kungfu_practice.jpg
    Yep, this is so true. I wrote,played,mixed and mastered a Billboard number 1 in my sleep. For real. Only i didn't remember it when i woke up, but that's just a small technicality.
    And another day many years ago i was caught up in a fist fight with some guys and they bested me, i wound up grabbing a strong uppercut and fell unconscious. I swear when i woke up i could play the guitar better than a virtuoso, just like Foster's teacher plays here:

Say that again. Man, i am so techy, i can never sleepwalk without my iPad. Not to mention that i have Foster's Best Of Vol.2 in it playing in repeat mode. The only problem is that album vanishes from my playlist everytime i wake up.
    This is The Fundamental of course. The epitome of philosophy combined with spiritual enlightment, mental achievement and scientific breakthrough.
    Because if you are conscious you cannot understand a dam thing. Even with unconsciousness you still don't fully get what's happening. I remember i was listening to Foster's Best of Vol.1 (presumably not as good as vol.2), and all i thought was happening inside my body was a nauseating feeling and a strong urge to throw up. But it was because i couldn't fully get it, with me being conscious and all. Now i get it. But wait, oh gee i don't. Not really. Because i am still conscious. I think i will apply to zombify myself so i am drop dead unconscious and conscious at the same time so i will hopefully get it.
    PS: In the music video with the guitar, don't mind the judges. They couldn't understand the phenomenon because they were conscious alright.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. foster911

foster911 Guest

I love you. My air-heady asinine thoughts don't amount a great deal.:bleh::mates::hug:

18. foster911

foster911 Guest

@taskforce Dawishers are complicated creatures. Never extenuate them.:rofl:

PS:
    Making music by a physical acoustical instrument and DAWs are almost 2 different approaches. In either path, your mind understands, works, deconstructs, vets, dissects ideas differently. In acoustical world you have a piano, guitar, strings, drums, etc but inside a DAW unlimited amount of sounds and mixing and the restriction in all aspects of music doesn't have any place. Each sound has different effect on the composition. Inside DAW you're no obliged to think about the music like instrumentalists do. In other words DAWs make your mind get free to be elevated but instrumentalists just kicked downstairs by their illusory mindsets.:bleh:

Dawisher is not a vocalist, traditional engineer and art lover or critic, performer worked in bands. Dawishers construe ART differently. :winker:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2018
  19. "Balls!", yelled the Queen, "If I had them I'd be King!".

20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Wow, great pun - dawishers. With it you intend to identify people who use daws as Alladin's magic lamp, that is yourself and none other ? Rub that Fruity Loops well matey, you never know, after 200 years it may actually make music.
    I too happen to have met some other complicated creatures you may find afilliation with, the dawankers. They actually rub too.
    Sure. That is if you are under 6 and all you create is playdoh creatures, scetches on paper and fictional words like dawishers.
    But hey after i finish this song i am making i will create a skyscraper. Piece of cake. I don't have to know everything. I will just rub my CAD softie (cadwisher) and it will be ready in a jiffy. Of course it might cause a few hundred people's death but that's a minor technicality.
    Errr...the latter are commonly known as... musicians. So, the "only" individuals who will oppose you are music teachers and musicians. No worries, all these are easily a despicable minority here. I am with you man, wtf are these unimaginative creatures doing in this forum... The world is ours. Dawankers FTW.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018