If it is possible to create any sound then ...?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by MaXe, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

If it is possible to create any sound then why cannot I produce my voice through synth?

Why can't I create a cat screaming with a synth?
    Is there any way to create sound like anything you imagine?
    By creating a sound I MEAN it like controlling each single partial? Can you suggest me something except these synths to expand my sonic palette?
    Of course I am talking about reproducing sound without capturing it with microphone!

Thanks

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Search for Fourier analysis , theoretically you could reproduce any-sound, but not with only 3 or 4 osc...
    If you have 2048 producing sine waves cross-modulating each other, may be you come closer, but doing it by hand would be a very difficult task..

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Thanks for your reply Olymoon. I know about the theoretical part. What I am really looking for is a PRACTICAL way to do something like that.
    You said I need more oscillators... Is there any tool or anything ever created to do such thing? Like making sounds which are not possible to create with these everyday Synths?

5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

interesting topic indeed, i guess one can come pretty close, but to achieve that last magical percent to make it "real" is where the problems begin. but, im just curious and know very little about this. when I saw the title i suspected the in-house spammer with his regular oxymoron-like content lol but then i saw it was a actual serious interesting question.

so look very much forward any attempts, even "failed" ones. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. ThugLife

ThugLife Platinum Record

Well, I think @EddieXx is right about that. Your speech is consisting of two components. First what Comes out of your throat. Second what your mouth forms and what Comes out of it. If you'd be able to Fully reproduce what Comes out of the throat( and this is not always melodic, thats why even if, it would Sound Strange) you could use a talkbox to create the vowels.
    But thats very theoretic. I think you would have to automate pitch and vibrato a lot to make it Sound real, otherwise it would Sound like Stephen hawking's Computer voice

7. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Well the question is proposed in general, I tried to make a specific case. As you said Talkbox would be one attempt to make vowels like mouth.
    But my question is not specifically about Vowels, I am asking in general whether it is possible to produce sounds and edit them in a way which opens other sonic possibilities. I am looking for any attempt which has been made on the subject matter. I don't want to get into the scientific side of the subject. Please discuss about the practical possibilities.

8. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

@MaXe You can morph your voice with any audio or Virtual Instrument in Real-Time with Zynaptiq Morph 2.

Listen to this MP3 example that i created with Zynaptiq Morph 2, it's my voice morphed with the Roland Juno-106 Virtual Instrument playing a "Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles" MIDI File.

Voice Morphed with Virtual Instrument example:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/k7v1vq553aqwpsa/Morphed+Voice+With+Virtual+Instrument.mp3

Zynaptiq Morph 2 Trailer:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  9. muffball

muffball Kapellmeister

Early days practically. There is research both public and private that is not divulged in full at this point. You're talking about tech - cutting edge tech - of the kind there is a subdued race for. Some questions of morality and security spring to mind in this area. I can't imagine you'll be finding what I think you're after immediately but it's probably inevitable in the not-so-long-term.

The practical possibilities and the "scientific side" are inseparable at this point AFAIK. Good luck in finding some layman's tools that do what you want. They do not yet exist.

10. E.T.F

E.T.F Producer

Physical modelling synthesis refers to sound synthesis methods in which the waveform of the sound to be generated is computed using a mathematical model, a set of equations and algorithms to simulate a physical source of sound, usually a musical instrument.
    For example, to model the sound of a drum, there would be a mathematical model of how striking the drumhead injects energy into a two-dimensional membrane. Incorporating this, a larger model would simulate the properties of the membrane (mass density, stiffness, etc.), its coupling with the resonance of the cylindrical body of the drum, and the conditions at its boundaries (a rigid termination to the drum's body), describing its movement over time and thus its generation of sound.

Similar stages to be modelled can be found in instruments such as a violin, though the energy excitation in this case is provided by the slip-stick behavior of the bow against the string, the width of the bow, the resonance and damping behavior of the strings, the transfer of string vibrations through the bridge, and finally, the resonance of the soundboard in response to those vibrations.

In addition, the same concept has been applied to simulate voice and speech sounds.[1] In this case, the synthesizer includes mathematical models of the vocal fold oscillation and associated laryngeal airflow, and the consequent acoustic wave propagation along the vocal tract. Further, it may also contain an articulatory model to control the vocal tract shape in terms of the position of the lips, tongue and other organs.
    [all above info pasted from wikipedia page]
    https://www.applied-acoustics.com/chromaphone-2/ and Ableton Collision both do physical modelling synthesis, I'm sure someone else knows more about vocal synthesis than i do.....

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

In the 80's there were several attempts to reach that goal with machines such as PPG and Fairlight. The results were interesting artistically, but absolutely not convincing as true reproduction of sound and this technology was finally used to create "simple" samplers.
    For many sounds, the beginning of it is the most complex part to reproduce because of very fast transients and changing waves mixed together with noise, the sustain of sounds is usually easier to imitate with synthesis. This brought certain brands like Roland and Korg to use both sampling for the transients and synthesis for the sustain in certain synthesizers.
    I don't know any tool that would reproduce reality with synthesis only. As E.T.F. says physical modeling is probably the closest, but you as a user don't have entire control over it. Just try AAS synth and you'll see.