If i write next to my song on youtube (copyright free)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by samsome, Nov 1, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

If i write next to my song on youtube (copyright free)

can you please help me understand advantages and disadvantages of this

Thanks

3. Talula

Talula Rock Star

you can't do this. any art always have an author!
    you can publish only royalty free music.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Some music is in the public domain. I have monetized some of my jazz recordings but I only use ones that are expired copyright.I didn't try to monetize my Who song, even though it's so different souncloud hasn't caught it, and Pete Townsend is such a grouchy old fart.

6. Talula

Talula Rock Star

and what? music in public domain stil have some rights. always!

Moral rights are concerned with the non-economic rights of a creator. They protect the creator's connection with a work as well as the integrity of the work. Moral rights are only accorded to individual authors and in many national laws they remain with the authors even after the authors have transferred their economic rights.
    The Berne Convention, in Article 6bis, requires its members to grant authors the following rights:
    1. the right to claim authorship of a work (sometimes called the right of paternity or the right of attribution); and
    2. the right to object to any distortion or modification of a work, or other derogatory action in relation to a work, which would be prejudicial to the author's honour or reputation (sometimes called the right of integrity).

7. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Before 1924, that is correct. The songs I monetized that I didn't write were written before 1924. So I don't owe Hoagy Carmichael for Indiana, and some of them were originally old folk songs or spiritual-gospel songs. I did register my arrangements and performances with ASCAP. If you use those you owe me money, LOL. I don't have to pay Beethoven's estate either, if I wanted to use his music. (He still is "The Maestro".) https://www.pdinfo.com/

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  8. recycle

recycle Guest

the property of the music belongs to the listener

9. Talula

Talula Rock Star

but what has the money to do with it? do you understand "the right to claim authorship of a work"? apparently not ...
    it doesn't matter who the author was, how long ago he died and with what purpose his work will be used. in any case - it must be indicated as the author always and everywhere!
    just search about non-economic rights of a creator and you will understand my words.

no. in any case no!

10. recycle

recycle Guest

“Music is everybody’s possession. It’s only publishers who think that people own it.”
    John Lennon

11. Talula

Talula Rock Star

everybody’s possession - agree with this =)
    but not a property!

12. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

Advantage is, your song can be found by people who search for "copyright free music". (in a pool which has 588 million songs)
    Disadvantage is, those people just download it by a youtube downloader and you don't even know about it even if it's very useful.

So, I say no advantage in this. If you do this, you should be more specific, like action game music, moving intro music, background music etc.

13. U-Kadian

U-Kadian Kapellmeister

Even Spiderman took the time to answer your question. That's why I love this website :guru: