If I downgrade my macOS from Catalina to Mojave, will my plugins stop working?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by ProctorSeuss, Apr 9, 2020.

1. ProctorSeuss

ProctorSeuss Newbie

I am currently running macOS Catalina 10.15.3 and I'm seeing that lots of cracked plugins are not compatible with this yet. I'm wondering if i downgrade my system to 10.14, will my cracked Ableton live 10, Omnisphere 2.6.2, and Serum still work? Or will i have to redo a lot of the work i put into getting these?

Main reason i ask is because i'm looking for the Antares Autotune Pro, one that is compatible with my mac. its not with Catalina but it is with Mojave. If anyone knows where to get this plugin that IS compatible with Catalina please lemme know :)

3. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

I tried Catalina last week for the first time (15.4) but even legal plug-ins have (still) issues so this OS is a big pain in the *** for music use.
    Did a fresh install by removing everything and installing Mojave (14.6) again, with all tools included just the way it was .. and everything works fine. So if it worked before there shouldn't be any problems. Can't help with Antares Autotune Pro though, because I already own the UAD version.

4. ProctorSeuss

ProctorSeuss Newbie

Nice! Good to hear. Do you have cracked plugins as well? I.e. ableton or another daw and or omnisphere or anything of the sorts? It’s good to know the legal ones work still but I’m worried my cracked ones won’t.

5. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Yes I have a few, but not the ones you mentioned. My DAW is Logic btw.
    To my opinion, if it works on Catalina it will definitely work on a previous OS, while the other way around is clearly a different story.

6. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Kapellmeister

I bought a 2018 Mac Mini 6 core i7 last week and It came with Catalina.
    I downgraded to Mojave for many reasons but mainly because Catalina is a half done OP with many problems for Audio guys.
    All my plugins work and so does Sound Radix 32 Lives which does not work with Catalina.
    Maybe next year all the issues will be worked out but until then It's Mojave.

7. Labrian

Labrian Newbie

Hi, I am running Mac OS Mojave but my Auto Pro keeps asking for a license. Could you please point me in the right direction to get the working Auto Tune Pro? This is the only plugin that I can't find for Mac that actually works.

8. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Well, there is no 'downgrading' macOS so yeah, you get to wipe your drive and redo your whole installation from scratch.

9. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Which plugins specifically had issues as I run Catalina on my 2019 MBP with a TON of legal plugins (Omni, Serum, Fabfilter bundle, soundtoys, Komplete Ultimate, U-he synths, Sylenth, Nexus3, Avenger etc) with no issues at all?

10. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

That's why you should never have upgraded in the first place :) Catalina is still not 100% stable as expected and they warned you about this...

11. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Next year? I doubt it. Because once a new OS is released – in this case Big Sur – support for prior OSes comes to a halt almost immediately except for security updates and may be one incremental update, like a 10.15.6 and that's about it. That's my experience at least. And what I've seen they did to Big Sur it's not even an update I'm interested in. I think the compatibility issues with audio products will onöy be getting worse.

Dropping a new OS every year is a realy bad idea for making a stable OS where developers have even a chance to max out the compatibility of their products. I think a development cycle of 5 to 7 years (like Windows 10) would be much more sufficient.

32 Lives and in fact any app relying on 32 bit codebase doesn't work with catalina because it has no 32 bit instruction set, it's a pure 64 bit only OS. I think they removed it, so they don't have to carry over more legacy code from Catalina to Big Sur so it only has to handle 64 bit RISC and ARM instructions as a transitional OS, before they completely drop Intel support.

Good practise for reverting to a previous version of MacOS: Before you upgrade, clone your system disk as an Image with a tool like CarbonCopyCloner and restore from that if the new OS is not working for you.

12. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Some plugins check for the UUID and serial of the system to verify the licenses and recognize a new computer. And whenever you change the OS the UUID changes and the system is recognizes as a new/different computer. This can lead to you running out of available licenses for your plugins. This is especially true with plugins which require online activtion. And since you deleted the disk where the licenses were stored you might not be able to unregister the plugins yourself. This happens with iLok Licences a lot if they are store on the computer and not the USB key. But it can happen with PA or IK Multimedia Plugins as well. In this case you have to contact the plugin developer to have the licenses reset.

So if you have any iLok or other licences activated on your computer, make sure to deactivate/unregister them BEFORE deleting the Disk.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I can confirm 2018 Mac Mini is shipped with Catalina and can be downgraded (freshly reinstalled) to Mojave without problems, it's what I'd recommend and also a reason right now I'd still prefer Mac Mini over MacBook Pro (which can't be downgraded to Mojave due to Apple's limitations and lack of driver support)

14. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

week ago: http://support.antarestech.com/supp...38373-compatibility-with-macos-10-15-catalina

15. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

To start with: https://www.airmusictech.com/kb/article/2479
    I use AIR Creative FX Collection Plus but AIR is just a lazy company that doesn't care enough for their customers. They only recently started to provide a few tools that are supported by Catalina, and a completely new OS is already on its way! A lot of people complained about this @ FB and getsatisfaction.com (which is offline now, go figure).
    Normally I wouldn't use any 32-bit/Wine tools anymore but there's still 1 that I like > Fakin' The Funk (detecting bad encoded music files). But there will be no upgrade available.
    Lexicon is a troublemaker (for a long time now): https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...icon-pcm-native-reverb-plugin-bundle-130.html
    Catalina's security was also a pain in the but when getting stuff installed properly (at least, in my experience at that moment).
    And iZotope comes to mind but it's possible that they fixed everything by now.

I really like to stay up2date but on the other hand, with Mojave everything works just fine. Even the latest Logic Pro X update runs on 10.14.6 but that will change with Big Sur coming I guess.

16. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

I have Izotope stuff and Ozone 8 was a ballache I had to do their manual install for that one plugin but the others installed fine to be fair.

I think that's the only manual type f*cking about I had to do for all my plugins though and I have a ton of stuff which to be fair was less than I expected with all the noise previously about Catalina and it was also in Jan so I guess a good few months after release.

That was all a clean install though straight onto a new MBP - time will tell when I upgrade my Mac Pro from Mojave which will be an upgrade but I'm doing that before Big Sur comes out. Generally I patch up a month or so before the next OS version comes out.

17. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Can't imagine doing a wipe and installing from scratch for many many years already. What a logistical nightmare and immense time consuming effort if you have a shitload of software and plugs.... and I'm all legit. Really come to hate Apple if only for this new OS every goddamn 6 months and tying software updates to them. As much as I've come to loathe Apple I still hate windows a thousand times more though, lol

18. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Took me a good few evenings to get a new MBP setup with fresh installs and that was with all the installers already downloaded e.g. Omnisphere. If you dont have a superfast internet connection reinstalling Komplete Ultimate is not a great deal of fun :bleh:

I agree must as odd little things piss me off about stuff like this I'm still never running Windows on my DAW machines again.

19. Mr Swordhold

Mr Swordhold Newbie

you have UAD stuff? does that mean you have their hardware?

20. Mr Swordhold

Mr Swordhold Newbie

dude is that a cracked serum for mac? have you got a link my man? i would really appriciate it, it doesn't exist on the sister site and im afraid to use KAT to download stuff lol

21. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Yes, otherwise it wouldn't work obviously :bleh:
    In my case > UAD Apollo Twin MKII Duo