if a mastering engineer receives a mixed session peaking at -1db

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by samsome, Apr 25, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

so if a mastering engineer receives a mixed session peaking at -1db lets say its said that he's more likely send it back and tell them bring it down to -6db to make headroom and to resend it back to him

my question is

why can't the mastering engineer just lower the waveform by -5db and work with that?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

because the mastering engineer needs some headroom with levels that are original in your master/export, the "loudness" is his enemy.

-6db is quite mild. if he's mastering only with digital.. thats maybe ok,

but a mastering engineer working only on analog hardware i used to work with always asked me to send him masters between -12 and -8db! that would sound surprisingly "low", but those tube compressors , vintage eqs and tape machine likes that better.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

If he's just talking about lowering the level it doesn't make sense. Neither does the 6dB headroom he's asking for.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

So he can't pull down the wav to the optimum level himself?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Chances are.. they won't honestly redo the entire mix from scratch anyway. Which is why I prefer to lower the input (not output) of the mix myself if it's too loud when I pull it up. I'd have to ask them to lower the input level of all their tracks at the production stage (pre-FX) for it to really count. They would have to redo FX settings, thresholds, etc. because the signal wouldn't hit them as hard and cause them to react the same. The mix may sound more undesirable on their end. And all that might only be helpful if the dynamic range/noise floor on their converters are horrible. The most crucial thing to me is that the mix is not over-compressed/limited from the start. And some single mixes are so spot-on as far as tone and dynamic peaks from the start.. they don't even need to hit a limiter at the mastering stage.. but just rendered through a better clock source at a louder level. Personally, I wouldn't send just 1 lone mix elsewhere to be mastered unless it was part of a soundtrack with various artists. Mastering is suited for a number of mixes combined into one overall cohesive project. That's really what sets it apart.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

My advice to you:
    If the mastering engineer is not able to adjust the peak level himself, run!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Hope I can ask a question (I never dared to ask) as a mix-idiot. When/ if I mix for demo purposes I am "targeting" -12 to -14 LUFS, and that way I'm never really hitting anything above -4 dBTP.. BUT when I look at open projects from "PROs", their (processed) kick is hitting -6dB or even higher ...and then they add like 50+ more tracks. I'm not talking about some crazy wannabes, but guys like eg. James Wiltshire of the Freemasons, that are not so young anymore and used to mix on analog gear. And they are advocating dynamic mixes their whole life..

So I always hear "leave the headroom for the mastering eng" on the forum, and OTOH I see (pre master) "pro" mixes that do not follow this rule at all. So which is it..??

I promise, I'll still leave the mix part to the mix engineer because one - I rather spend time making music ad two - because why not. But this puzzles me every time.. :unsure:

9. breadd

breadd Kapellmeister

its a power play, he's trying to make you do a dumb chore you don't understand so when he runs the ozone master assistant you will think he did some pro stuff you don't understand

10. Rere

Rere Member

Peak level isn’t important in digital, as long as you’re not clipping.
    Dynamics really are.
    -1dBTP is alright for me as a mastering engineer as long as the mix has enough dynamic range to breath.

11. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

probably because you sent him a 24 or 16 bit file?

otherwise it woud be a joke.

12. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

he is obviously not even able to tell people what he wants prior to receiving it.

13. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

If your render is 24bit, and it is clipping, it has to be re-rendered, but if it's 32bit float there is no need.

14. 9000k

9000k Producer

I'm a mastering engineer, send it to me and I will profesionally lower it down to -6db

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Best Answer
    @samsome you posited a question that I think is hypothetical and missing some critical information.
    To be clear, a bona fide mastering engineer will never send a song back to you or your mix engineer just to have you lower the overall volume by 6db. On the other hand, what a mastering engineer may do, and they do it all the time, is send the song back to you or the mix engineer with instructions to lower a specific track by X dB. Whether drums, synths, guitars, or whatever if the mastering engineer feels that certain elements are too high relative to the rest of the song he or she has no option but to send it back. Extreme over- compression decisions during mixdown will have the same consequences. Knowing that expansion won't fix it, the mastering engineer would have no option but to send it back to the mix engineer. With that said, not all bad decisions require that a song be sent back to the mix engineer. Let me explain, think of a song that was poorly mixed and has an 808 kick and synth bass too lively in the 150hz-200hz range. This muddiness can be easily corrected by the mastering engineer with some surgical EQ, and therefore, there would not be a need to send it back to you or the mix engineer. If the situation you posited is an actual one my advice is that you contact the mastering engineer, and ask for clarification as to what needs to be done. Maybe he made a mistake and forgot to write the rest of the sentence. If the mastering engineer continues to ask for the same thing just ask why is it necessary for you to do something that he can do himself and get paid for it. As you noted, at the beginning I mentioned "bona fide" mastering engineer. Simply because someone has cracked versions of Weiss, Sonnox, and Fabfilter plug-ins it does not mean by any stretch that he or she is a mastering engineer. Indeed, 99% of everyone calling themselves mastering engineers don't even know what the job of a mastering engineer is. YouTube tutorials don't make anyone a mastering engineer. Moreover, a bona fide mastering engineer needs more than a bedroom full of craked plugins, bags Dorito chips, and Coke, in order to properly master a song.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

That's why "stem mastering" was invented.

17. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Honestly it really doesnt matter as long as its not distorted an sounds good...so any good Mastering Engineer wont care about the levels. Sometimes my mixes turn out -9 to -6 LUFS even before mastering them. thats right and peaking -0.1 dbPT . Analog gives you alot of head room. Im hybrid mixing out Black Lion Audio DAC through my console ,good EQs and driving my Bus compressor with 2 matched killer preamps. on the way back in hitting 2 mastering Pres and recording back in on another system with either my Antelope Orion or Black Lion converters. I can easily get mastering levels without even trying is my point ...just mixing through my gear and converting or printing the mix back in. Even ITB only those levels wont matter... the quality of sound and balance of the mix will :wink:

18. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

You may send +20dBFS to mastering engineer, or even louder. Just save as 32/64 bit FLOAT.
    It more depends on how you mix, clip/distort/saturate in mix, plugins with calibration like -18dBFS = 0dBVU or something like that, so internal "analog" clipping happens when it hits -18dBfs. All shit may happen only in source recording, mixing, effect plugins, chains etc. Not in DAW output file.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  19. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

This idea that you should leave x dB FS of "headroom" to the final downmix for the master engineer has been around as long as I can remember. That is to say at least from the late 90s.

But why?

1. The way early digital tools worked and how they were used.

You could actually make early DAWs clip easily by going to red at any point. The whole paradigm was very much analog. Similar rules about how you should leave at least x dB FS of "headroom" to every single individual track are still around too. In a way this master track headroom rule could be interpreted as a desperate attempt the lower the odds that the complete idiots often doing the mixing would not clip the audio.

With modern DAWs and their 32bit floating point engines the concept of "headroom" doesn't really even make sense anymore. You can go hundreds of dB's to the red and still not clip the audio.

2. General confusion about how digital audio works.

To this day even many seasoned professionals believe in all kinds of early myths about digital audio. Perhaps the most prevalent is the continuing confusion about the so called "inter-sample peaks". The idea is that if you don't leave enough headroom to the downmix the "inter-sample peaks" will clip and you can only get rid of them at the source ie. not creating them during the downmix process ie. leaving enough headroom. This is the most common reason given for this final downmix headroom requirement these days.

This is false.

In the digital domain there is no data between the samples and therefore no inter-sample peaks. They are only created during the digital-analog conversion. You can simply turn down the audio before it hits the converter.

20. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

I wondered this myself in the past because 'everyone' related to mastering was talking about the same subject: "Leave at least 6dB headroom!"
    No one actually said that it didn't matter at all, because you can always add a gain plug-in at the start of the mastering chain. So I think it's more related to the mixdown and having everything in the right balance. James wiltshire explained once something similar with K-metering:

21. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

DAW have always been using 32 bits - or overflow bits - to process audio.

and the only moment where you need to leave headroom is when you export a master.

there are only two reasons why you had (and still have) to leave headroom in a master: CD, because cheap consumer players can not properly reproduce fully maxed out audio, and mpeg, because the transform will create values higher than in the input and then the result will be clipped. (in a range much higher than only the inter sample peak phaenomen)

what this guy aks for is that his customer kind of creates a "master" for him, and i´d strongly recommend to look for an alternative offer. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List