Ideal instrument input (HI-Z) for Amplitube?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Ghaleon777, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Ghaleon777

Ghaleon777 Guest

First of all, i dont know where in the forums to ask about this...

But well, my question is, what is the ideal DI-Box, Instrument Input, etc to play guitar through Amplitube to get the "true" sound that the amp sims provide?

I know IKMultimedia as got some interfaces designed for this, but its THAT different from just using my guitar straight into the inst input of my audio interface?

Cheers.

3. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Lately IK Multimedia has silentely released "Z-Tone" which is a simple DI box compared to their other prodcut "AXE I/O" which is designed to be a full audio interface...

now to your question, audio interfaces sometimes include the High-Z option to record guitars directly and most of the time they are enough, but if your audio interface do not have this it is mandatory to buy a DI box for best results, i don't have extensive knowledge behind the science of DI Boxes and how impedance affect guitars and all, but i have 2 separate DI box one passive for active guitars, and one active for passive guitars, and i'm happy with them, and i even plan to buy the Z tone by IK multimedia, because i'm a fan and if it is priced nicely then why not?

anyway the decision is yours and incase you are interested here's a link that might be helpful... personally i plan on getting the Buffer Boost variant...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Ghaleon777

Ghaleon777 Guest

Thanks for the detailed reply.

My interface now is a Behringer UMC22, it has got HI-Z input of course. But i am skeptical about its quality to get the best sound out of Amplitube or any amp sim for that matter.

It just seems to me that IK Multimedia did Amplitube for exclusive use with a good DI Box or their own Interfaces...

I would love to buy a Z-Tone, but i dont have money lol

5. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

I had a briefe experience with behringer and wasn't a very positive one unfortunately...

exclusive? no doubtful, as Amplitube predates their hardware by quite some time, but with a bit of commun sense a higher quality audio interface will of course gives you better results than let's say an entry level one, so if you use amp sims alot and mainly rely on a computer as an amp i highly recommend you invest and save money and you either buy their audio interface, or a better audio interface and a good DI box...

on a side note and from a personal experience what actually makes all the difference is the guitar pickups, then comes the audio interface and DI box, they will indeed help you get better results, but the pickups are more important, so before you blame your audio interface, try to borrow a good guitar with a good hardware and use it to record through your interface, if the results are still bad, then go with a better audio interface friend...

other than that good luck :mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List