I'd appreciate any opinions on this please. Just trying to learn but finding it difficult.

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by elvisxxl, Apr 20, 2021.

1. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

Hi...I posted this in a different thread asking for someone to sing it. I didn't get any takers so have had to stick with my version :deep_facepalm:....I've re-mixed, re-sang and re-mastered it to death....

So....Does anyone else have to keep re-doing everything, mixing and mastering, before they're even halfway happy with the end product? I find it very frustrating to be honest...I just about get there in the end but just feel like I actually don't really know what I'm doing (Because I don't) and only complete things by pure luck. I feel like by now (It's been a year nearly, on and off since I really started to do this) that I should at least know the basics but find it hard to remember them.....And every time I listen to something, what I hear changes....:crazy:

Have a listen anyways if you like :snuffy:

Thanks

3. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

I'd stick with your recording of the vocal. The vocal sounds recorded great. Needs a bit of compression some parts that jump out, or clip gain it to level it out before compression. But it's a real good starting point.
    Try watch more videos on mixing though unless you are going for some old beetles stuff the whole drum kit shouldn't be on the left?
    The elements are all there they just need to mixed.

If you can find some mixwithmasters, puremix tutorials. Or just look on youtube for the people that do those tutorials and try find free ones. Chris lorde-alge, Andrew Schweps, etc.

4. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

Thanks for your reply... Would you believe I was actually listening to Rubber Soul in between mixing this and wondering how to arrange it and decided to copy the drum placement a bit!!

I toyed with putting the vocals to the other channel but it didn't work very well...

Thanks again for your reply... Its hard to find the time to study this stuff with two young kids haha... But will definitely try and set aside time just to watch the mixing vids rather than trying to learn as I go along...

Cheers...

5. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Yea it's a lot to study especially if you are trying to do it all yourself as they usually have a recording engineer, mix engineer, then pass it to a mastering engineer. And then sometimes frustrating if you are just wanting to finish a track.
    It's great to have access to a lot of tutorials now. But even then takes a while to learn.

6. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

It's ramadan here so i feel kinda of generous, if you can make good multitracks without any fxs or even editing, i'll take care of it for you.

please google how to make good multitracks, with the proper naming and numbering if possible.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. isosoces

isosoces Noisemaker

you have a really good voice! You should trust it more. Track is nice.

Don't get neurotic about what you think you don't know. Just enjoy the happy accidents and discovering new things every day. Don't sweat it, you're doing great.

8. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

that's why i offered to mix it for him.

9. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Nice! This guys mixing is good! And then we get to learn things. :yes:

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

sounds good. learning can be frustrating, but one day out of nowhere "everything" will click. And it will surprise you.

I've had tunes that I've worked on for a month end up in the trash can, and others I have finished in a week. Usually, when it starts dragging out longer like that, it's an indicator of some problem. Not technical issues, usually I just don't even want to hear it any more.

11. rEmaker

rEmaker Ultrasonic

have you panned the kick on the L channel?

12. I no longer have to wonder what it would sound like if Iggy Pop sang Creedence Clearwater Revival.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. I like it. For learning your way, not bad at all. Your voice phrasing remind me a bit of Lou Reed. Couple thoughts... 45 sec intro too long. A&R people will turn off by time your voice gets started. Maybe edit to 1/2 length. Vocal good but what i hear is you work on it for long time, maybe do it over + over again till you lose feel of what you sing about. You can sing but vocal performance sounds monotone, here and there you need to change up feel, try to sell it. Think of it like acting, every few lines you have to change up delivery a little to keep people interested, cannot have every line of lyric delivered exact same strength + feel. Also you have a few instrumental breaks in song, but it doesn't sound like your interest is in lead guitar or solo instrumental. I would try to get someone to fill in those instrumental sections, either lead guitarist or for this type of song maybe a sax. Few other things, but in general you show promise, stay with it. Good luck!

14. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

Hi...thanks for the offer....I have no idea how to do what you're asking but I will have a look later and see if I can work it out, if that's OK? I'm a bit embarrassed though because the recordings are very rough !! I tend to rush things as I don't have much time to do this stuff. But if the offers still open then I shall try later to sort it out?

Thanks again :like:

15. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

Hi...thanks! It's such a big learning curve when you're trying to do everything yourself. Compose, play, record, mix, master...I don't have a choice though. It's just me trying to learn and get better....You're right though about discovering new things every day!!! I just hope they stick in my mind and aren't replaced by the next days discovery :)

16. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

I know what you mean about not wanting to hear them anymore!! And so does my wife :woot:.....I used to get puzzled when I heard famous artists saying they never really listen to their own music much......but I think I kind of get it now....

17. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

I'd been listening to Rubber Soul :yes:

18. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

Thanks for the feedback!! Regarding my voice....well....I just don't really like it. I'm only singing my songs because I have no other choice at the minute....And you're correct....I'd sang this over and over trying to come up with something with a bit more "oomph" but to no avail....My range, such as it is, is very limited haha.....I think I may also take your advice and try to come up with some sort of solo or alternative phrasing...

Thanks again...appreciated.

19. rEmaker

rEmaker Ultrasonic

your voice is great is very david bowie

20. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

There is nothing wrong with your mix.
    You could do a little less chorus on your voice.
    Sounds a little too polished for the style.
    A little like a lack of confidence.
    It's an awesome mix considering you're doing it for about a year.
    The mix suits the music, how would you like to sound?
    Give us some examples.

21. elvisxxl

elvisxxl Kapellmeister

Thanks....There's a few people said that now! Can't hear it myself :)