i7 6 core or quad core workstation?

Discussion in 'PC' started by plasticvibe, Nov 7, 2017.

1. plasticvibe

plasticvibe Member

Hi folks
    I've been offered 2 workstation configurations from a friend that recondition PCs.
    Bare in mind that it'll be an Hackintosh/PC dual boot, so I am choosing compatible hardware on the Hackintosh side.
    I can choose between:

i7 3930k 6core
    Asus rampage iv 4 formula motherboard
    32gb ram DDR3
    GTX 680 2GB RAM
    2x 250gb SSD (osx and win)
    3TB HDD

OR

i7 6700k quad core
    GAZ170-HD3P motherboard
    32gb ram DDR4
    GTX 680 2GB RAM
    2x 250gb SSD (osx and win)
    3TB HDD

I'll be using the workstation mainly for music production, some video editing, photoshop and zbrush,
    all are not very GPU intensive, relay mainly on CPU and RAM.
    What would you choose between those two and why?
    Some advice would be very welcome.
    Thanx
    Cheers

3. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

i dont know much about computers, which 1 is more important, number of cores or RAM?

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

As the single-core performance of 3930k and 6700k are almost equal, I'd go for the 6-core option.
    Wheter you'll really feel much of a difference is another story and depends on how you set up your DAW projects.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

For audio: Single-core performance!

6. saltwater

saltwater Guest

24% greater single core speed and only 10% less overall compute power while running 30% more efficient. 14nm vs 32nm.
    6700k all the way, the 6 core has no value since the 3930k is getting old.
    this formula extreme mainboards cost a lot of money and are hard to find in good condition, and gtx 680 is getting old as well.
    a new basic RX gpu is a better choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. shomyca

shomyca Producer

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I have 6-core i7-5820K running at 4.3GHz, paired with 32GB DDR4 ram, it's a Hackintosh (El Capitan 10.11.6),
    to be honest I wouldn't have problems to go for just 4-core IF I weren't making videos in DaVinci Resolve - this is where 12 threads really shine as they're all fully utilized together with GTX980Ti,
    considering you want to build a Hackintosh, I'd say go for the 6700K build just because of less problems with setup ;)
    bonus tip - if you seek for decent Hackintosh-compatible audio interface, go for RME HDSPe AIO (as I have it tested on various rigs, this is really the best PCIexpress audio interface you can get)

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

I would chose another option instead of your 3TB drive.

what is it for ? what are you working with and how do you manage your sessions ?
    maybe ( I say maybe ) a RAID set up with a backup would be more safe and efficient.

because if your 3TB fail, you're screwed

I'm thinking 1 HD for your loops & libraries, and 1 HD for your sessions + a backup maybe ?
    depends on your budget too, of course

:bow:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

MAYBE??? OF COURSE!! :yes:

Save often, save early and make a backup!

12. joem

joem Producer

you can get the best of both worlds now anyway ask them if they sell the new 8 series (8700k )chips which are 6 core 12 threads same as the 3930k can go to 5ghz easy and are the same price as the 6700k

13. plasticvibe

plasticvibe Member

Thanks guys, for the advice, I know that the x79 sandy bridge overclock very well, but also they start to be dated now...
    I am not obsessed by the latest tech I just want a capable machine, and getting parts used cuts the cost quite a bit.
    If you guys have more suggestions or different configs... I am open to new ideas, I have a max budget 1200€.

14. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

How about Audio Interfaces still being made with 1990's smd components and now with GB bandwith connections we do not have real time latency as with a 90's FX Unit.
    We are running I7's at 4+ gigz with 16+ gb of ram and still deal with higher latency than any FX unit from the early 90's!!

Hell did not Nasa stream live video and audio from the Moon in 1969 ? And I have a pet Unicorn.

Seems like no one is talking about the Interface companies keeping the Latency higher to keep the Monopoly going.

With all this computer power there should not latency issues with any FX monitoring these days.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

there are indeed no issues when running some serious interface with well-coded drivers and non-bloated OS (RME interfaces and MacOS 10.11+) :yes:

16. saltwater

saltwater Guest

a basic iMac with a gorgeous 4k display starts at your budget.
    then upgrade it like here:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

saltwater, it makes zero sense to go such way,
    I've seen that video yesterday and although the price/peroformance ratio may be impressive, by voiding the warranty it means one could just go hackintosh way, and for music stuff 5K screen is just an eyecandy, no usable benefits

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I wouldn't even have to think about it. Go for the better, faster and newer combo with Gigabyte MB and 6700K. It's a really good board.

Very good suggestions about hard disks. Rather buy 2 1TB or 1TB and 2TB hard disks. I can also recommend Toshiba's P300 models as they are quiet, fast and reliable. 1TB [one platter] and 2TB [two platter] models.

19. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Yeah, this is what I'm running, 2 1TB in a RAID mirror configuration. Nice side effect of the mirror is an increase in read speed since it can read from both drives at once.
    I went this route after losing EVERYTHING due to a system crash, and some old school troubleshooting gone wrong. After that point, I'd say my backup strategy game went up by like 80%.:rofl:
    Seriously, I use this mirror configuration, as well as copy the entire 1TB (project data) to an external HDD frequently (every 1-2 months), and clone the 250GB SSD System Drive to another drive as often as I feel is required judged by plugin installs/DAW updates.
    Best thing that ever happened to my mixes, really. It forced me to remix everything. But we did completely lose quite a few tracks.

20. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

uness you run a server farm id go for the older cpu

You also save money on heating with it

21. saltwater

saltwater Guest

i don't get it; what has voiding the warranty to do with purchasing a mac or a hackintosh?

5k is good for 4k video editing, i was talking about a 4k, no way you get a 5k screen, even with all his budget.
    since he is using photoshop and stuff, the ips 4k comes in handy.
    then its a real mac, its quieter and more efficient and "it just works"

because in the end a Hackintosh is the biggest mess one can get as a machine period