i5 6600k upgrade to i7 7700k, worth it?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by badformat, Mar 17, 2017.

1. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Member

Well you've been given an answer and seem to be referring back to the Intel advert. We're just trying to save you from wasting your money. If you had a 10 year old computer, then of course I'd be recommending the upgrade. But you have a relatively new CPU, so it doesn't seem worth the extra cash for such a small performance upgrade.

Are you running into CPU problems then? Do you feel you need the extra power?

2. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Threads is what your DAW uses to access the cpu cores. 8 threads at once is 8 simultaneous instructions at any given time. So theoretically you are looking at a cpu that has 8 cores. But because this is virtual and its only 4, the gain instead of +100% is about 10-20% and depending heavily on how the software is implemented to use the cpu threads/cores. There are downsides to hyperthreading, it introduces a slight delay to the responsiveness of the cpu, because the cpu struggles to perform double duty and you never know what the cpu load really is. I 've seen professional tutorial videos indicating that in DAWs like Cubase for instance you can hit a bottleneck with the cpu in the task manager being at 35-50% load. In reality and they never mention it lol, with hyperthreading on this may be 70-100%. Still, with HT on, all current DAWS perform better than with HT off, so it is an option you may consider in future upgrades.

3. grabme

grabme Kapellmeister

Have you considered buying a second i5 and splitting the load between them?

4. badformat

badformat Ultrasonic

What??? My motherboard has only one cpu slot.

5. Zollblade

Zollblade Noisemaker

yeah of course you dont NEED to upgrade but since most of the performance is based on your cpu then yeah! go for it!! theres a bunch of new vsts out there that have a really high CPU load so it would definitely help with modern plugins like fabfilter bundle or u-he bazille

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

save little more money and get cheapest cpu you can find for X99 2011-V3 platform,
    professional level of cpu cooler mounting, better thermal interface between chip and heatspreader, bigger die size...
    I have i7-5820K OCed to 4.3GHz on all 6 cores (12 threads) and it is so rock solid stable I keep these clocks on my El Capitan hackintosh too :)

7. grabme

grabme Kapellmeister

I meant buying another i5 base unit and hooking that up via midi to your existing machine.

8. robertgalp

robertgalp Newbie

• Hyperthreading: All i5 processors are Quad Core and hence have 4 physical cores serving 4 threads. All i7 processors also are Quad Core but they are equipped with Hyperthreading technology which enables each core to serve 2 threads, hence the OS sees it as an Octa Core Processor rather than a Quad Core Processor.
    • Cache Size: RAM minimizes the use of Hard Drive similarly Cache minimizes the use of RAM. The more the Cache size, the more data can be accessed quickly. Most i5 processors(if not all) have a cache size of around 4MB (3,4,5 or even 6MB in some of them) but almost all i7 Processors have 8MB cache, which is significantly more, thereby allowing more amount of data to be accessed quickly.

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

You mean had 4 physical cores etc. :)
    8th gen Intel i5s, the 8400 & 8600k have 6 cores and 6 threads, 9mb cache, ddr4 2666 support.
    Also i7s come with up to 8 core/16 threads and as explained earlier, 16 threads does not mean 16 core performance but rather a boost of about 20-25% over the same cpu with hyper threading off.
    Sorry to welcome you on the forum with a "correcting" message but that post of yours, is retro news my friend. The first Intel desktop 6 core cpu, the i7 980X was released in spring 2010, almost 8 years ago.
    Cheers