I was chillin' till I wasn't - New song, will love some of your feedback about the production

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by mrclry, Jan 18, 2021.

1. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Hey everyone! Hoping that all your projects goes as planned, here's a new song where i tried kind of a chill vibe but my metahead inside couldn't resist till the end hahah

As always, I appreciate every comment, I'm working really hard to make these productions sounds better and better, so any advice is welcome. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. Dalty

Dalty Member

Instrumentation and composition are phenomenal. Love the tones and mixing and everything.

My only beef would be with the drums. And not even with the patterns, just the sample choices and FX. They sound a little.... 326593.jpg

:scrapbox:

What drum sampler are you working with?

4. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Thank you! Well I'm using GGD One kit Wonder Modern Fusión and GGD P4 libraries. Maybe is something about the dynamics. Thanks for your comment!

5. Dalty

Dalty Member

Could definitely be the dynamics. Sounds like each sample is pretty pinned and the room verb may be a little too audible, but of course that's the beauty of music; its allllllll subjective.
    In my experience those GGD libraries are top notch. But even the most meticulously sampled library will sound robotic with drawn-in midi... Unfortunately we're not at a place in music tech where our velocity randomizers and swing algorithms can create a truly convincing groove out of quantized midi.
    What I would suggest is moseying on over to the sister site and giving EZ-Drummer a spin. The groove libraries are a lifesaver. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. andrescooper445

andrescooper445 Member

+1 composition I listened to it 5 times in a row. good

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Ed Jachimowicz

Ed Jachimowicz Producer

In general with a slow tempo song like this I (as a drummer) would avoid a distracting Hi Hat patern like you've used in the first part of the song. The pastern goes against the rhythm of rest of the song although I understand that you've used it to create a point of interest. But like I said it is not backed up by any of the other instruments in the arrangement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Interesting composition, HH in the chill part is too distracting and I prefer the power part. :winker: :metal:

9. nΛve

nΛve Member

The problem with the battery is the reverb, the transients are blurred too much. You already have information on the sides with the guitars, the drums in this case would find its place in a more mono image.
    Better use the saturation in the battery, do not limit too much. You massage the transients with a hard clipping.
    All of this should dry out the battery a bit and place it in the center with more punch.

Once the mixing of the tonal parts is mastered, the biggest obstacle in a mix is the correct handling of the transient parts. Work that.

A good composition.

Cheers :winker:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  10. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Thanks mate!

11. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

thanks for sharing that. I'm not a drummer so it was difficult to bring some life to that part, I took inspiration in some prog bands but the execution could be better. Thanks again!

12. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Thanks dude, the last part of it it's probably my strongest point in all the tracks, It seems easier to me to write that kind of stuff.

13. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Wow, thanks mate! I will be lloking at those things in future songs. appreciated!

14. waverider

waverider Rock Star

Sounds great, love the chords and atmosphere. The strings add so much warmth it's great. What guitar library did you use, the sound is so beautiful? It sounds like acoustic but also amplified at the same time. Or is that you playing a real guitar?
    I personally like the Hi Hats, they're just a bit too loud IMHO.
    And that twist in the end is super cool! Oddly fitting in a strange way, I didn't mind the escalation at all.
    Would love to hear more from you. Good luck in 2021!

PS
    Damn I agree with @andrescooper445 , this is turning into one of 'those' tracks that I listen to on repeat for like an hour lol

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Thank you so much for your words! About the guitar tone I'm playing a Squier Telecaster Affinity, direct to my interface and using STL Tonehub, can't remember right which preset pack but it may be Jon Deiley's or Mark Lewis.
    Thanks again, and I will be releasing more song in the next months!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Yellow Raven

Yellow Raven Platinum Record

Like it's been said the drums in the chill part let it down it sounds too mechanical and the hi hat too loud and unnatural. in this slow rythm the drummer would play on the cymbal or Open hats to let it 'Swing' a bit. the hard part is better it gels well.
    IDK why the frist few notes remind me of Hotel California!
    Good work. Cheers

17. waverider

waverider Rock Star

@mrclry
    Cool, thank you for the response. As I play zero guitar I can't use that info, but I'll be looking for Kontakt libraries for a similar tone. There's so much you can do with guitars :)
    Looking forward to more stuff. Would you consider making a revised version of this one, based on the feedback? Especially in regards to the hi hats. But yeah I'll still like and listen to the original. Thanks!

18. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Thanks buddy! Really appreciate your comments!

19. mrclry

mrclry Kapellmeister

Your welcome dude, and yeah, I will probably re-release everything in some sort of EP, working on some aspects of the mixing, mastering and composition as well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List