I want to write music, but I can not!

Discussion in 'Education' started by EnemyFox, Apr 14, 2017.

1. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

@EnemyFox, I'm wondering why this
    > I can not realize the idea from my head, Since there's one thing in the head, and in the sequencer it's completely different
    happens.
    If you have a melody in your head, you can write it down with almost anything.
    If it's sounds you're lacking, then it's probably more a matter of putting enough time in sound design or just finding the right presets.

If all fails, you can still start writing a book about your own story ;)

2. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Yes. The most frequent factors that lead to "desire loss" are 1. too much time spent on the track and the brain gets tired and 2. almost the entire song consists of loops of the main theme and the brain gets bored.

Solution for 1: don't spend time on details, arrange your workflow in such a way, the track is considered finished in 5 days tops
    Solution for 2: focus on the arrangement build to the point you want to hear the main theme - see how other top similar tracks are made, see ho many times they repeat the main theme and how many times is just drums, drums & bass etc. - during first hundred of tracks always use a similar track as structure inspiration: place the track along with your own production, set markers for intro, bridge, cooldown, buildup, chorus etc. and make your track the same structure.

Identify your weak points and correct them by producing to improve that weak point, do not try to find ways to get around the issue.
    "all desire is gone" = issue derived from a complex of factors, identify them
    "not finish the track" = workaround which on the long term does not solve the issue and you will continuosly fail to finish tracks

Finishing tracks will teach you how to pass any obstacle. Not finishing is just doing what you already know without learning anything new.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

IGNORE THAT suggestion... they have Havalenas in the Arizonas !!! DONT DO IT !!! .. Maybe hiking up Camelback mountain or "A" mountain at the most...

The best thing is what others have said... start grabbin crap and just finish it ... shit or not... it will be finished... and hell... turn on the radio... theres a lot of finished "shit" playing right now.... Garbage to one is someone elses favorite track.

Ya - listened to your 3 tracks. just "FINISH HIM !"

Insert easter appropriate MEME
    [​IMG]

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

Me too but I have unwillingly accepted it as my fate and waiting for Jesus to appear and help out.

5. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

YOu want your own sound after only five years?
    I would guess one boredom problem is the lack of music theory knowledge to give you options; take the song somewhere away from the root, create tension, change keys etc. Just as trying to build a house with only a hammer and a flat-head screwdriver will limit the outcome, not learning basic theory is a huge limiting factor.

Triads and inversions is a good place to start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. EnemyFox

EnemyFox Newbie

Oh, thanks :) I certainly try not to use any tutorials, but I think it will help me.

7. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Maybe you just don't have the talent for it.

8. EnemyFox

EnemyFox Newbie

"Finish Him" - Is this really fucking shit? :rofl:or finish tracks?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  9. EnemyFox

EnemyFox Newbie

I also think so at times... Someone can write an EP for a month, and I can not finish 30 seconds ... Maybe I just need to take a break)

10. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Imo if a person with no ear problems can't learn basic music making in several years, the issue is that person's ability to learn any skill not lack of talent. Anyone that in his life started learning things from zero and built up will know how to learn music making from zero and build up.

When learning to be a better football-er what you do? INSTINCTIVELY you play football all day long with your pals. You don't read about football, you don't start a game and quit after 15 minutes because your play is not at a level of a champion. You go out and play, do your tricks, learn tricks, perfect your shots. This is what a sane, normal person would do. I remember a quote from Kanye West (who's music I honestly don't like), approx quote: "it would be statistically impossible for me not to succeed after the hours of quality work I put in".

Sadly, when it comes to music, all these fundamental aspects of stepped learning are forgotten and people are so focused on how the final result should be, they discard anything involving active learning, progressing, making steps and so on. Instead of comparing themselves today versus themselves a month ago, they constantly compare with the top players, thus failing to assess their own performance or lack of - so in the end they always lack corrective decisions on their actions.

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Ask Steve, he's a master of your style. Are you sure you're not him because of his absence from April 6th and also last 1 minute preview?

12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

My question here would be: why do you need to develop your style of sound if you can't even make complete tracks?

You're doing it backwards in my view. Virtually all producers began using presets, and most still use them as a foundation to tweak for some sounds. Your sound is about how you use the colours, not the colours themselves. Think of presets as colours used in painting. All artists begin using primary colours of red, blue and yellow and mix where necessary to create colours and create paintings from that. Once they have an understanding, they will then buy other colours once they have an understanding of how it fits in to their style, how to use it and the pros and cons of using that colour. Presets are the same in my opinion.

Your style will be about way more than just one specific sound. It's very rare people are know for a specific sound, such as Deadmau5 for his plucks, but notice that it's the plucks that's the calling card not necessarily the sound of the plucks. This is because your style will be a merger of writing, composition choices, melodies and chord structures, drumming style and more, and the actual sound forms a brick in that building, rather than being the whole building.

However, all this is worthless unless you create finished tracks and get used to finishing tracks. Music production relies mostly on approaching it as a job and being disciplined and professional about it rather than the talent. Sure talent is good to have too, but you can learn the skill of creating accomplished tracks without needing talent as such, but again, you need to be disciplined and realistic about your goals and how to get there without expecting to be Richie Hawtin or Deadmau5 overnight.

13. Sarawak_Sam

Sarawak_Sam Ultrasonic

Give yourself a deadline and stick to it. You must finish XXX song by XXX. No matter what. You will learn fast this way.

14. Jay Weed

Jay Weed Ultrasonic

take up guitar as it will help you learn song structures more than just playing keys and as a guitarist you will compose in a different way so that you always have at least 2 ways to look at the creation you are working on. You can use guitars as controllers now with tools like jamorigin and a roland GP10. There are advantages to using a guitar over just using a keyboard. Scales and using bar chords are easier to compose with on a guitar. Using keys you have a different pattern for every chord or scale but on guitar you memorize one pattern and move it around. This frees your mind to think about other composition concepts instead of asking yourself how do I build that chord or what note is in that scale again. The ability to play a second instrument will also open your mind to creating more effective compositions because the music you write will have more to pull from in terms of studying other composers works. You can stay an EDM composer on guitar but it might be cool to look outside that genre for inspiration and to steal ideas. I mean country has stolen a lot of musical ideas from rock musicians.

15. Zikkk

Zikkk Platinum Record

Just a few suggestions (they work for me):

1. Experiment with other music styles. EDM is not everything in music and, as far as I know, its potentials for creativity are limited.
    2. Learn a new instrument, preferably one that you can plug to your gear.
    3. Buy some new hardware toys, they may inspire you for something new.

16. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

I know a lot of people (including myself) that struggled with this too and it may just be that you need more practice with sound design if you are that unhappy with the aesthetic sound of your music. You need to feel excited about the sounds you create and that makes you want to write music. If you feel the sounds you've chosen or made are sub-par then you probably won't feel like finishing a track.

Try this: Mess around in a blank session with no particular goal in mind and just start designing sounds. Make some crazy bass sounds, synthesise or layer some drum samples, make ambient pads. Mangle up some sounds from a sample pack with granular synthesis. Do whatever you like. Just try and make some interesting sounds that inspire you. Get out of that boring comfort zone of just settling on 'meh' sounds. Force yourself to evolve in your sound design techniques and you'll eventually get excited about the sounds you're making again. Once you're excited you'll find that making interesting melodic and rhythmic ideas comes much easier.

If you struggle with finishing tracks just copy someone else's structure! When starting out on your first few tracks there is absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion. When you're starting out at anything that requires practice and effort to master, anything you can do to fast track your progress and help you out in the long run is nothing to be ashamed about. Just import an electronic tune you love into your DAW and dissect it; look at how it evolves, how sounds intertwine, how elements are added and taken away and emulate its structure when/ if you get stuck.

A lot of modern music and EDM in particular is based around melodic and rhythmic loops (which I'm sure you know). Of course elements are brought in and out and ideas are evolved and layered with many textures, but they are always based around catchy melodies and rhythms. I know this is vastly over-simplifying in some ways on my part, but making an interesting loop is the basis of any song.

I don't know how helpful this will be to you but for EDM a generic structure could be something like:

(These are usually in groups of 16 bars. This would also work for dubstep or drum 'n' bass.)

{ INTRO (sparse and ambient building elements and ideas)- BUILD UP (melodic stuff, teasing the drop, adding in basses) - DROP 1 (Crazy bass or huge melodic part) - BREAK DOWN (take elements out and build up again) - DROP 2 (Similar to first drop but not the same. New cooler bass ideas, drums change up or something else is added) - OUTRO (Less energised melodic section that works its way to a conclusion) }

Your song can be as simple as that. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. You'll learn to be more creative with your structures once you can finish your songs with simple ones.

TL: DR version - Focus some time on developing your skill with sound design and create more interesting sounds that inspire you. Don't worry about making the most original music ever, just finish your songs and have fun doing it. Learn from music you like and music you draw inspiration from and don't be afraid to borrow ideas or structures if it helps you; this happens across every genre for as long as music has existed.

If you're not enjoying making music, maybe take a break until you are again, but if you have the drive and determination you can get anywhere and achieve anything you set your mind to. Good luck. :)

17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

WATCH THIS ENTIRE VIDEO SERIES

18. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Here's an interesting 10 min video to give you a few options.

19. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Hey man, your dstep sounds great. Finish those tracks. Like someone else mentioned earlier. Take some of your favorite tracks and copy the structure. Put them in your daw and make markers/reigons for the different parts. Dstep is pretty easy too. its cookie cutter and you can get away with one drop if you want, I used to but I dont anymore, I use 2 different drops in diffefent keys everytime. Heres the recipe for it.
    intro
    build
    drop
    break(intro)
    build
    drop
    outro(intro backwards)
    So many dstep songs are just 3 parts played twice with an outro

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  20. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

I find arrangement the most difficult too. There are several ways to solve this problem:

Outright imitate the structure of other tunes that you like - this works well if you are writing EDM, or even pseudo trailer clips.

I do however like to write less structured (ie ambient, experimental) and make lots of spontaneous variations to the tunes I'm working on - to the point I have too much material and the problems I run into is that the sections are either too different to bridge easily, or I'm just simply not sure what order to put them in and what sort of bridges etc. I usually find that if I take a break for a few days to a week, I usually have more of an idea. A key point is that less is more - I often have to cut parts out, or layers out, even if I put a lot of effort into them, simply because either they do not fit the track 100%, or they aren't as good as the rest of the track and it's too much work to fix a mediocre part.