I want to make my snare and my vocal perceivably the SAME VOLUME.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Kintek 2001, May 1, 2019.

1. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Maybe SPAN?? Any Metering plugin?? VU meter?? There has to be a way to tell VISUALLY in a plugin if 2 sounds are perceivably the same volume right? :dunno:

Strictly asking "SNARE vs VOCAL"
    The issue is, mostly ALL snares are static in volume level BUT vocals are all over the place
    (low level, high level,low level, high level,low level, high level,)

All my mixing issues would be over if I could just have concrete fact if any given snare and any given vocal were the SAME VOLUME.

Of course I can guess by ear, but can it be done visually??

3. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

Is this a melodic lead vocal? In what style is the song? I'm not sure why you'd want them to be the same volume for any particular reason. But you could place a VU meter (PSP have a free one as does Klanghelm if I'm not mistaken) on both channels and match their peaks, but a vocal is a totally different kind of dynamic to a snare which is a set level. I think you answered your own question by saying "You could use your ears" I would not recommend being guided by a visual aid.

4. DJK

DJK Rock Star

why would you want to do this

5. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Yes, there is a metering method that can measure the loudness of a signal. However this won't help you here because you try to fit one signal in relation to a complete different. So, you can set the loudness of the snare to the same level as your vocals but they still will not fit because your vocals are not processed properly. Loudness measuring is only relevant if you have restrictions in loudness for a signal or try to match signals that are already processed to a similar characteristic which is of course not the case here.

What you need is probably (more or less) hard compression and maybe equalizing on your vocals and maybe also the snare. And if you do not know how to achieve this on vocals:

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  6. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

She's going to get lipstick on that mic. Oh well, better than beer and cigarette smell.

7. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Yeah... I guess because vocals have variable level thru-out a take it could never "REALLY STAY" the same volume as the snare no matter what I did... I just want to use my ears but have some sort of visual confirmation of when the balance of the snare and vocal (after proper EQ, and Compression) is balanced. I attached a crappy visual i drew to show what I mean.

Say, I had a Very Decent "Consistent" vocal EQ'd and Compressed where the dynamics were controlled vs. a static "Consistent" snare. Are there any analyzers or meters that could show me if the snare is in the sweet spot (like my crappy attachment drawing)

Attached Files:

8. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

When Im mixing I build a foundation with Kick, Sub/bass, Snare and Vocal FIRST but Im always unsure if the snare and vocal are well balanced.

9. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Gotta bring your own mic cage, so you don't get the Herpz. I'll be the first to un-screw a sm58 cage and strap on.

10. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Your right, thanks for helping me understand what i ment. I Said this again but....Yeah... I guess because vocals have variable level thru-out a take it could never "REALLY STAY" the same volume as the snare no matter what I did... I just want to use my ears but have some sort of visual confirmation of when the balance of the snare and vocal (after proper EQ, and Compression) is balanced. I attached a crappy visual i drew to show what I mean.

Say, I had a Very Decent "Consistent" vocal EQ'd and Compressed where the dynamics were controlled vs. a static "Consistent" snare. Are there any analyzers or meters that could show me if the snare is in the sweet spot (like my crappy attachment drawing)

Attached Files:

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

First, you could volume automate and compress the vocals so that the overall loudness is optimized and the intelligibility is good (even on the weaker dynamics). EQ, compress and saturate the snare to make it also more dynamically controlled. Then just use a loudness meter post fader (and adjust volume) so that the two have equal percieved loudness over time. Use something like Youlean Loudness Meter 2.
    https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/

However, vocal and snare are two totally different beasts, and with different dynamic range, amplitude envelopes, frequency distribution, occurance, etc. One is a melodic instrument and the other is rhythmic instrument. It will be like making an ant and a snake look about the same size next to each other.

If you want consistent dynamics, rather go with volume automation/volume riding, compression, parallel compression, etc. IMO.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Ok, I see I see... What on YouLean would i look for in the Snare vs Vocal situation?
    Intergrated, Short Term Etc?

13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Integrated (long term). That is how we percieve (averaged) loudness over time.

14. DJK

DJK Rock Star

yer i get that, but as stated its not easy as vocals are so dynamic and the volume is not constent as say a kick or snare

15. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

you are making it harder on yourself than it has to be.

wild shot:

try to balance your snare aginst the bassdrum/kick

16. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Yeah word, i feel that :wink: but I don't have a issue there or anywhere else in the mixing process, Forget I said
    "MAKE THE SNARE THE SAME VOLUME" I ment BALANCE...

Im now just curious if theres a way to see visually if a static snare and a well compressed/eq'd consistant main verse vocal/main chorus vocal are working together perfectly by a analyzer or meter.
    Like how can I tell visually if my snare is in the sweet spot of ANY GIVEN VOCAL?? (see attachment)

Attached Files:

17. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Awesome! Youlean has been very helpful, and i understand getting things the SAME volume.
    So Forget I said "MAKE THE SNARE THE SAME VOLUME" I ment BALANCE... :unsure:

Im now just curious if theres a way to see visually if a static snare and a well compressed/eq'd consistent main verse vocal/main chorus vocal are working together perfectly by a analyzer or meter.
    Like how can I tell visually in YOULEAN if my snare is in the sweet spot of ANY GIVEN VOCAL?? (posted this hella times but see attachment)

Attached Files:

18. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Does not work. Otherwise you would not be in need to mix a song anymore by yourself. You can not see what your ears can hear.

19. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You are overthinking (and I knew that when I told you that long-ass thing about using Youlean Loudness Meter to "see" percieved loudness. But I like nerding out and not taking the normal/easy way. I like to question things.)

Here's a nifty trick: turn the listening level down low. Turn your kick up so that the master has plenty of headroom. Now turn the snare up and line it up by ear so that the kick and snare sound good together. Now turn the vocal up until you can hear it in conjunction with the kick and snare. The volume (dBSPL) should be really low, but you should be able to hear all three elements, even at faint volume.
    Now turn the volume back up to comfortable listening level. You have a good balance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Kintek 2001

Kintek 2001 Member

Best Answer
    Well I'm really glad I didn't listen to you all and just "GIVE UP".... :scrapbox: After tons of tests, I infact found a way to "visually SEE if your Snare is In the Sweet Spot of a vocal". Even tho you didn't believe... I appreciate you (baxter) pointing to YouLean because it totally works. :thanks:
    Heres the move...:invision:
    Photo #1
    Put 1 YouLean on your Snare Track
    Put Another YouLean on your Vocal Track... then!
    Lay the "TWO" YouLean 2 "Pro" Meters on top of eachother (see photo 1)
    Play your "MAIN" vocal and snare thru-out the length of your verse or chorus (only the main vocal **no backing vocals**)

On YouLean #1 -Once you start you will see the constant level that your snare is hitting (the top peak)
    On YouLean #2 - Once you start you will see a WHITE TRIANGLE and a WHITE BOX thats forming a "Short Term Loudness" average
    The trick is to set your Snare peak on YouLean #1 EQUAL to the "MIDDLE" of the WHITE BOX on YouLean #2, Or if you rather see more of a
    real-time visual, you can set the snare level In between the lowest valley and the highest peak of the "faster moving" white arrow.
    Voilà! Snare and Vocal perceivably the same volume... Doing exactly what my drawing above showed.
    **NOTE** :guru: only adjust levels with the track stopped. Everytime you make a volume adjustment when youlean is calculating, It throws off the magic...Start, Adjust, Stop, Start again.

Photo #2
    I used the plugin "Wider" as a ruler to see the imaginary line from snare peak to the "white average square" on YouLean #2.
    (you can use anything you want as a ruler but wider is free, super low cpu and the gui is small)

Photo #3 Is a screenshot of the audio sample I attached.

"Wow great job! But Who Cares??" Who would ever want to level the snare to the vocal anyway??" you'll say:dunno:

Well, I run a recording studio and I often have client and artist work from different studios, on different mics. Sometimes, different studios, on different mics from "3" different people on "ONE" song. I work in 3 hour blocks and I need to get balances FAST. I ALWAYS USE my ears but i've been studying and creating a method for nearly 10 years. A method where you can use your ears and have the luxury of "checking to make sure your right" VISUALLY. Perfect Balances... EVERY. TIME. regardless of room acoustics, genre, source material or even a seasoned ear.
    NO MORE GUESS WORK... This was the LAST variable to solve. NOW my method is complete!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

21. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Interesting. :shalom: