I want to design the sound for a video clip in less than 24H: can you recommend a good video?

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by exitNine, Jun 12, 2016.

1. exitNine

exitNine Noisemaker

Practicality is key on this one, it needs to be a short video clip that is relatively easy to work with and the sounds should also be easy to design/find. The most important thing is that it needs to be done in less than 24H.

Thanks.

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

What editing software? Tutorials available for all of them.

4. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Check out the site below. Think of a theme. Stitch together a montage of short clips. Then, do your thing with an audio track that suits your assembled footage.

https://archive.org/details/stock_footage&tab=about

Be sure to check the copyright and royalties T&C's before you download.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You are very vague.
    What kind of soun/elements are you in need of? Duration? DAW? Do you have video or are you looking for stock video? Do you have the sound already or are you looking for sounds, or want to design sounds from scratch? etc.

As a sound designer (with years of education, trial and error and thousands of hours creating/editing/designing sounds) I might help, but in order for me to do so I need more info

6. exitNine

exitNine Noisemaker

Software isn't really the point of this thread as I'm looking for a good video clip to work with. I want to replace the audio in an existing video with my own sound design.

But here it goes:

I'll be using Pro Tools for sound design/editing and Premiere to sync audio/video.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ah, you are looking for stock footage, or ANY video/movie clip/commercial/whatever?

8. exitNine

exitNine Noisemaker

Well, before I start thinking what kind of sounds I need (to find on libraries and design from scratch) I must have a video to work with, that's what I need right now. I'll be using Pro Tools .Also the video should be short, around a minute.

9. exitNine

exitNine Noisemaker

Any kind of footage as long as I can put my sound design on it. Conditions are: duration should be short(+/- a minute), sounds should be relatively easy to find or design from scratch. To put it in one line, it should be doable in 24 hours or less.

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can take a minute of any David Lynch movie and put some weird noise over it, if that's what you mean.

Or you can make it a bit more interesting and add Foley and found sounds (from freesound.org or similar) to match the footage.
    Avoid dialogue.

edit: Or you can actually take dialogues and make your own Bad Lip Reading.

11. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Seems like a fun project.
    Maybe you'll find something to get your creative juices flowing with the longer pieces at this site:
    https://www.pond5.com/stock-video-footage/

12. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

@Baxter
    For gawd's sake don't give him Eraserhead. I'm still in therapy after watching that little gem the first time! :hillbilly:

13. exitNine

exitNine Noisemaker

Yeah I've seen it too and I know what kind of vibe/mood to expect from Lynch :wink:

It could be fun to design the sound for a Eraserhead sequence, maybe a drone and an industrial background punctuated with squelchy and screechy sounds... I'll keep it in mind. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Is it a school assignment or just to build a sound design portfolio?

I'm a bit curious because I had a similar assignment (at University Sound Design class) where we were to Foley, create and design ALL sounds ourselves (with a semi-crappy Zoom H2N) for a boring sound-less video that some teachers shot at school. It was a pretty fun project though, ended up being like 40 audiotracks or so. This was mine: