I want to create a vintage sound, how to do it?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by HummingSoul, Nov 28, 2018.

1. HummingSoul

HummingSoul Newbie

I am not very familiar with software products.

So I have some recordings and I want to make those sounds sound like vintage radio or something.

I found these two plugins from the sister site:

Audioease Speakerphone
    McDPS FutzBox

How do I run these stuff? I think I need a DAW, right? If it is needed, which easy one would you suggest?

What is the simplest way of doing this?

Thanks.

I guess audacity is enough for my case.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yes, a DAW.
    Cockos Reaper is afully functional DAW with a nag-screen at startup. If you want to buy it after the trial version is over (to remove the nag-screen at startup) you can buy it relatively cheap.
    There are ofc more DAWs out there but Reaper is hard to beat when it comes to features/power in relation to price.

If you want to emulate an old transister radio or a small speaker, you can use a bandpass filter and a saturation/distortion plugin. Bandpass and distortion/saturation plugins are free. So that's a lot cheaper than the plugins you mentioned. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Recoil

Recoil Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

6. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

Most old recordings didn't have the capability of producing anything below 300 hz or above 3000 kHz, so rolling off those frequencies is a good move. I usually like to roll those off with an analog modeled eq. iZotope Vinyl is a great easy to use plugin. Waves King Microphone is wonderful. IK Multimedia's Mic Room is tremendous. Using the vintage or telephone mics in Mic Room give great results. Tape emulations and saturation also really help with an old school vintage sound. Audioease Speakerphone I've heard is great but I've personally never used it. I usually do a combo of iZ Vinyl, and Waves King Mic, possibly adding Mic Room and a low and high rolloff if I need it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Deleted/
    Sorry

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Tape, cassette, reel to reel emulations (like it is broadcasting on radio from tape sources, cassette recordings)
    Tube preamps, tube saturators, vintage exciters (tube powered radio stuff)
    Console emulations (hm maybe, dont know)
    Vinyl emulations (like broadcasting, vintage streaming from vinyl recording sources recorded from tapes initially huhuh)
    Eqs, filters, broadcast compressors, analog emulations of them
    With use of oversampling ofc.

So fuse audio labs, black rooster, audified, slate maybe, plugin alliance, goodhertz wow control, XLN rc 20 retro color, audiority....

9. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Audiority is great for vintage vibe in effects, but for speaking of speakers in terms of quality and modulation possibilties of sources, nothing beats speakerphone