I want to buy a daw

Discussion in 'DAW' started by ia, May 24, 2016.

1. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Again with this Hans Zimmer thing? His opinion is clearly biased bbecause he uses Cubase and it's surprising how people can fall for it.
    As mentioned before what could make the difference would be using stock plugins because of the way they have been designed. But putting unstretched audio and VST instruments routed into the same effects should give the same result. If not that's a bad thing in a digital environment.

but yet you are here spreading your self entitlement to judge other daws . I would understand if you knew at least the basics of audio software programming but you don't just like me, so your sensationalism about Cubase's engine (regardless of its cpu efficiency, which is another matter) has really no point.

Anyway why do I even bother? Where did you even know what you are basing your argument upon from? "cubase is coded in within a vast number of modules,each coded specifically for its own task.
    The result should be a clean sounding daw,that has no impact on the input/output of your source." mind if I ask you where you got this information from? Or should I expect no reply at all like you already did? :D

2. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

Yep, this guy (Aly James) rocks. His LM-1 copycat is absolutely astonishing too. And the price is ridiculous (probably the biggest price gap of all the VSTi industry between the real deal and its recreation). I'm so excited by his forthcoming SAMPlight:

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Look i even recommended S1 to certain users,i dont hate it,its a cool daw with certain disabilities which you are here denying,people who bought it came to the same conclusion,not just here,on other forums and store reviews.
    Do i need to know the guts of a daw to be able to tell something isnt right?
    Why are 10.000 monitors more accurate than 200$ monitors?Do i need to be a fucking engineer to tell the difference?
    Do you need a 2nd opinon when you feel like your head is on fire or do you just rely on your senses?
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Honestly I have the feeling, that Cubase 8.5 eats more of my CPU then Ableton.
    Which means I have earlier to dump in Cubase then in Ableton (with some Serum or Diva patches).
    Are there any numbers out?

5. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

i read some articles abt problems with INTEL HighEnd 6core CPUs (with HYPERTHREADING) in Steinberg Forum (german), it seems there is a negative effect abt more cores , more problems.
    The tech guys of Steinberg confirmed serious problems, they are working on it. It seems Hyperthreading is usesless and even slows down.
    I am not sure abt other DAWS, but its a shame that Software developpers dont focus on multi CPU capabilities, cuz there will be no 6 GHZ CPU for a loooong time. We are stucked at abt 4-4,5 GhZ for abt 6 years atleast.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Jasmine

Jasmine Producer

Interesting, I can't get a normal band setup consisting some of my heavier serum patches in Cubase- without dumping the shit (CPU meter freaks out etc.).
    Will play with hyper threading and Intel boost tech..

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  7. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Again, regarding audio engines, what even 5th graders would understand is that in a purely digital domain it's indeed just summing numerical values. In case you didn't know, DAW stands for DIGITAL audio workstation, so I believe you are clever enough to make your conclusions alone. Don't disappoint me.
    Besides, if your DAW doen't sum numerical values as you would expect and give an extra when summing numerical values it means that it's not doing its job properly, afterall you are not mixing in an analogue environment so there is no phisical circuitry to go through (that obviously resist to a signal going through it) when mixing several signals. Even when clipping the behaviour is the same: digital clip. I bet you already know what it is, and you also know what it means mathematically. In any case (as I already said) the only audible difference would be heard if you are stretching audio (and it depends on the stretching algorythm that by all means can be different from daw to daw) and using stock plugins, that can have different behaviours depending on how they are designed. Being convinced of the contrary is just silly.

I deleted a good portion of my reply about the cost of things because I don't even bother anymore, if you want to fanboy over cubase it's fine, but that bullshit doesn't work with me or anybody with funcioning synaptic connections.
    Comparing cars to daw is even more stupid, and the cost thing is not even applyable because both cost around the same (assuming that would have any relevance at all, but it doesn't). The monitor thing? Even worse. If you put on the same ground phisical and digital you just need a good psychoanalyst.

This is going to be my last reply because I don't even want to waste further time to say something obvious that is going to be replied to with false assumptions and unnecessary irony, and in any case your replies don't even prove anything or are not even constructive in any way.

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I guess i was owned,will delete my profile and hide in shame.

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Is your pc tweaked for music production?
    Check your bios and disable any energy saving options,cpu needs to run at 100% non stop.

10. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Exactly the kind of reply I was referring to, and the level of maturity I was expecting.

11. Listening_player

Listening_player Member

Concerning CPU performance using DAWs, someone postet this video here some time ago:

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

that's a good bunch of informative and technical stuff worth knowing, thanks for posting it.

13. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

dear Cubase haters, believe me, there are NO Cubase Fanboys: we are used to suffer and have gone through a lot of painthe last 20 years.
    BUT still in my Opinion its the best Solution of ALL DAWs.
    If i try to make some benefit , goin semiprofessional, I use legit stuff only, so is Cubase the best value for money (all VST Instuments and VST plugins integrated free). I also bought Omnisphere 2 and some other stuff.
    I need also full surround capabiliy.
    I tried S1 , Ableton, FL12 also, but Cubase is my final choice.
    my Style is Ambient Jazz Fusion Krautrock...lol cant describe exactly. But its abt soundesign.
    no 4 on the floor EDM

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

This thread is in deep now but I guess I'll throw my two cents in. I don't have much experience with Cubase beyond trying out the cracked v5. Seemed quite good overall, but I found it slower than the other DAWs I've used. In that respect, it's a lot like Samplitude: packed to the brim with great features, but not as fast or intuitive as some other DAWs maybe.

If you're making some form of bass music, Live and FL are both fantastic options, but there's a huge price gap between the full versions of the two. If you're on a budget, FL isn't really inferior to Live in any way, in my opinion - and that's coming from someone who does all his composing in Live.

It's hard to pick a loser. I'd suggest you demo (or better, try the cracked version so you can really get a feel and dig in) and decide which one suits you best.

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

5er is a dinosaur compared to 8.5,its still great but since then so many things have been incorporated that its really a beast now.
    You have an overhauled mixer which imho is the fastest and most intelligent from the daws i tested,you can also bounce midi to audio fast plus 100 other things.
    Control room is overhauled,you have all the most recent standard broadcasting meters,lufs,lu etc...
    No other daw has a control room,you can digitally switch between different monitors and headphones if your audio interface allows.
    Etc,etc....you would dig it.

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Cool man, looks like you're getting your share of shit for it, but you're obviously very enthusiastic about your DAW and I dig that. I've watched Virtual Riot put Cubase to good use. For sure it looks like a handy DAW. Certainly someday I'll check it out. I've spent a small fortune on DAWs and plugins, so it won't be for a while, but I've got a wandering eye.

17. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

I believe you and you are certainly putting that stuff to good use from what i have heard from you and your bro :like:

18. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

I'd like to suggest that just in case you opt for cubase you might be totally happy with an artist version. And when you really need more of everything you still can upgrade.

19. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I appreciate that, my man

20. strangeranium

strangeranium Ultrasonic

Have a crack at Reason, Presonus Studio One 3, and if you use a mac, give garage band a wiz.