I urgently need a short sustain effect (primarily for guitar VSTis)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Gnosisrausch, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Gnosisrausch

Gnosisrausch Kapellmeister

I'd like to be able to create fast, realistic sounding melodies with the tremolo picking samples of programs such as Shreddage or Prominy V-Metal (I use Reaper btw). Now, when you play a real guitar, the individual notes still sustain for quite a while (the beginning here
    exemplifies this quite well) whereas they are completely cut off when I create midi melodies with VSTis, thus leading to an artificial impression. I have tried to use a sustain pedal and also the CC64 function, but the notes were always indefinitely sustained. I have to find a way to make them sustain for only a while. I suppose that there has to be a very simple solution to this, but I couldn't find it yet. Actually, I have the feeling that this abrupt transition between midi notes kills of the realism of most legato melodies (also in string VSTis etc.).

3. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

can't you just set the lengths of the midi notes on the piano roll to the exact length you want them to play? like have all of the notes extend right up to were the next note begins?

4. Gnosisrausch

Gnosisrausch Kapellmeister

I've tried that before, but the problem is that the sound which results from that is very different from the sustain sound which you get from notes which you have just played. With a real guitar, you change from string to string and you have the combined smooth sustain of the notes which you have played before. I've found a way to change some of the sustain settings in Kontakt now, but there is still the problem that everything sounds far too abrupt.

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Tried KEOLABS spicy guitar VSTI? Has legato & sustain switches.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Can you put a Wav/midi example? Of your sustain problem mean.
    It shouldn't be a problem.
    Also, Prominy V-Metal has a monophonic and polyphonic mode since it has all the chords sampled. If you're doing arpeggios (in general more than one string sustain) you must use polyphonic mode. Or if you wanna play a chord not sampled as an articulation.