I throw down a challenge

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by LZ Jaydon, Aug 31, 2017.

1. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

Hi.

I think it's very interesting to write a piece of music to a painting, or photography.

I chose 2 paintings and 1 photography. I would love to hear some musical interpretations of you for these images.

The rules are the following:

The peace of music must not have :

-any size, length or complexity

thats it.

Im going to, in the upcoming days, compose something myself, concerning one of the images or even all 3.

If your not satisfied with the images I chose, your welcome to upload your own.

Thats what I've chosen:

Image number 1: a painting by Luca Cranach, 16th century

cranach.jpg

Image number 2: painting "iranian dance"
    iranian dance.jpg

Image number 3 : south-american ship-sepulture
    south-american .jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • List
  3. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

I like the idea but I have to say this.I imagine English is not your mother tongue.
    This bit of the post is rather confusing.
    If i can help in any way to express your rules in a more understandable way, I would be only too glad to help.
    cheers
    I think i just got it
    The piece of music 'can' have any size, length or complexity

Sorry for being so slow although I have to say the difference between the size and length pertaining to a piece of music eludes me.
    Length is obvious.....perhaps size is it's grandiosity
    If i was making up the rules (rules in a knife fight?...... no rules) It would simply be
    no country and western

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  4. genophyte

genophyte Producer

im game, its been really slow with song challenges at the other site i frequent ..plus writers block

5. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

yeah, you got it. Just wanted to express that, "whateverthefuck" you compose, it doesn't matter. there are no rules.
    difference between size and length: size = grandiosity.

But yeah. no western please. (just kidding i don't mind)

This is what i came up with by messing around for 20min. (image 1 )

6. genophyte

genophyte Producer

hah dont feel bad, i used to butcher portuguese on a music forum related to baile funk and cumbia , i should have tried to learn instead of using bad english to portuguese online translators.

i'll probably have at least 2 up later today, and by the third hopefully i get inspiration for a full on song

7. I am not one to rain on anybody's parade, though after listening to your (@LZ Jaydon) interpretation of the painting by Luca Cranach, I am a bit dumbfounded of the motivation and use of the four on the floor techno beat you chose, a piece of music without variety or true melody. What has that to do with the young woman in the painting as to explain the far away look in her eye, the emotion she is expressing and what story the artist, Cranach was wishing the observer to ponder in their mind's eye? What do we hear in the background and why is she outside instead of indoors? What is the story you, LZ Jayson are interpreting for us to keep our interest, and if you haven't thought about any of the questions I have put forward, why you have started a thread dealing with interpretation and the transformative qualities inherent in such an exercise without actually really and truely doing the things necessary to perform such a task? Stretch it out, expand and talk with your heart to run away as fast as you can, away from the ordinary and mundane which is boring and has absolutely nothing to say of any consequence to this task at hand. Re-form the painting instead of with paint, paper or canvas, with the sounds at your disposal, the instruments installed in your DAW and the probable many samples living on your hard drive, listening to perhaps what the girl in the painting would sing or maybe what she is listening to herself, perhaps in her own mind or those things surrounding her as she stood there some 500 years ago. She is living anew thanks to you, reanimated and now again part of the present, brought into the light of our consciousness for now and for always. Celebrate both of your lives with the music that runs through your soul and filtered by your unique gifts as an artist, those things that set you apart from everyone else and that will make your piece stand out as your's and your's alone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. genophyte

genophyte Producer

stuck working overtime and cant for the life of me find the usb cord to my fast track interface for the laptop.

currently on picture 2

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Why present this idea/challenge.. then share this stuff that shows you're the least serious about it yourself?

11. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

I really enjoyed this @genophyte

what makes you think that?

12. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I was giving you credit by thinking you can't be serious about it. The waveform says it all. Where is the nominal listening level for a subharmonic that runs for over 4min at extremely low volume, and then ends with an abrupt +20 LUFS leap?

13. genophyte

genophyte Producer

needs more obnoxious zourna..

i was trying to figure out how to mesh the vocal with the bulbul tarang at the end but welp i gotta go, might come back to it and fiddle around with the amen some more. forgot how much i like the fruity slicer since i havnt used it in ages due to opting for drum machine vsti the last few years

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  14. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

did you listen?

15. Nice! I really like the subtle changes going in all dimensions, depth, width as well as in height, calling my attention to those different aspects that you created so that I could almost touch them, something like how a blind person reads a person's face with their hands kind of thing. Listening the first time kept my interest as you turned the pages of this short story, called attention to the new and novel elements that you introduced rhythmically as well as in a very musical fashion. I enjoyed it still the second and third times through, also. If the dB mountain at your finale was a Bronx Cheer intended for me, for my earlier post begging a question, bravo to you, you rose to the challenge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. genophyte

genophyte Producer

got distracted and started working on another project.
    figured id use some of the loops i "borrowed from the internet"

if theres interest i'd be game to continue this type of thing weekly

17. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

I enjoyed your compositions. I would like to hear more!

18. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Very interesting thread, wish I had the skills to participate!
    I'd love to make an ambient/dance tune to that first pic
    I really liked your O2 LZ Jaydon, i don't like one of the synth used though

keep it up, very entertaining all

@sls: i don't know, i really liked the 4/4 beat for the painting. I think we all see different things and considering we all have different musical tastes and histories behind us, results are always going to differ a lot. one thing is for sure: most people won't make an upbeat/happy song looking at that painting. to me, it evokes uneasiness, some sort of dreamy atmosphere but not in an evil way, but still negative: look at her eyes and all the lines, etc. etc.

btw that is part of a bigger painting: not sure which one is the original as you can see an outline under the woman.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  19. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

this thread kicks ass!

20. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

But does it chew bubblegum?

21. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

i think of this topic lately and i find this color music theory. anyone have try/buy this? it is dvd sell only by contact. the idea i like but not sure even how much it will cost or if it is what i expect to be

color emotion connect to music note emotion, very nice idea i think others have write about here on audiosex