I still don't get the real philosophy behind mastering.

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

I would say that the reason for the slightly different, shall we call them, 'mastering interpretations', is that each label/releaser may have their own, unique 'sound' that sets the apart from the others. For example one label may like to release product that is bassier, and another, leaning slightly more towards Ambient, and yet another maybe more to a particular demographic of dance. So, yes, in their so-called mastering process, they may alter the sound of your production to the extent that their mastering has crossed the boundaries and altered your final production. To me, and without being asked first, this is infringement. Unless you're happy that your work is being released and you don't care too much. But I agree with comments that have talked about this: mastering should have nothing to do with production or mixing. Mastering is mastering, see above for definition. This means that you should ask all labels interested in releasing your work, whether they intend to do any mastering, and to what extent that intention would alter your original work. Also, you would like to listen to their final master and have the decision on whether you would like to disagree with their interpretation or go ahead. But, none of this should make you think about doing your own mastering.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thank you bro for this excellent info.

3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Well Guys this thread has definitely overran its course, its time to put it to rest.

Thread Closed

P.S only post relating to the topic will be posted, all others will be removed. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.