I really need help identifying a sample used in some tracks

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by stuffedbutter, Sep 13, 2022.

1. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

Hello, this is my first post here :) Apologies if this is being posted in the wrong section, I wasn't too sure where this would fit in.

I've been on the hunt for a specific sample which is used in this video game soundtrack:

It's a very distinct piano sounding stab that plays throughout the last part of the track (At around 1:00 onwards, the embed is being funky). I actually was able to put this song through google audio recognition, and it gave out this track by Pedro costa, which has the *exact* same synth/sample usage https://www.beatport.com/track/good-sensation/9867951. I tried contacting Pedro via Facebook, but unfortunately he couldn't remember which pack the sample came from as his laptop broke, also mixed with the amount of time it has been since it was released. However, I can say that the sample *could* have been obtained from audioz somepoint in the past...

Does anyone recognize where this exact sample could originate from? I've tried listening through a lot of club/house ZEROg sample library demo songs (relevant packs from 2001 - 2010) to see if I could hear it but didn't really hear anything close to it. I've also searched through a lot of Omnisphere and it too doesn't really have anything that sounds like it. For a little bit more info, the video game song was probably made from 2008-2010, and I think Pedro costa's song came out in 2013, so the sample/synth is probably from around the mid 2000's or earlier.

Here is a vocaroo link as well of the sample from the 2nd song (just so its easier to get to without clicking a bunch of links) https://vocaroo.com/15B81XUOGASC

Any help is appreciated!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I do not recognize it. But if you found 2 artists using the same sample, it's almost always from a commercially released pack. I wonder if you had a vast enough library and XO if you could chop a sample and have it compare?

But I would check Vengeance Essential Clubsounds. v3 is from 08, so maybe start there. These 4/4 producers aren't always big on "crate digging" samples up, and instead will use the big release packs because they tend to be the cleanest sounds.

4. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

yo! I don’t have a huge library, only a few things (omni, stylus and a couple of sample packs, still kinda new to music stuff) I actually checked through clubsounds vol3 earlier today, I don’t think I found anything there :( I’ll definitely check back over it though! (From what I heard, the stuff in clubsounds vol3 had a lot of one shots, but none of the same type as the sample. I’m not really too sure how to explain what I mean aha) Could you further explain the compare and XO part you mentioned? Looking into that would probably help me out

i just wish that the person who did the 2nd track didn’t get the sample from audioz/remembered what pack it was from, mainly bc it probably wouldve been easier to find. The problem is, idk if the 2nd artist got it from a bootleg pack of an official pack, so it makes it slightly harder to pin down :(

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

there were also multiple volumes of VEH (vengeance essential house). Vol 3 is from 2010. Some of the stuff in VEC are synth stabs. Offbeat bass folder has some widely used samples in it. Reimann Kollektion were frequently putting out releases then, more techno/tech house. Of course Zenhiser, loopmasters, big fish, etc.

I think because of the style music, and that you heard the sample used on two different tracks; it is probably from a pack that sold well. That really narrows it down. And if you know for a fact the sample was used by someone who had a scene release of this pack, at least you know it was something which got ripped and you'll be able to track down a copy via tracker.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  6. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

Oh sweet, I’ll take a closer look at the other vengeance stuff too, as well as the other sites you mentioned. Sorry for being a pain and keep asking questions, but what do you mean by ‘via tracker’? Is it like a database with more widely known listings of sample pack releases? Cheers for the advice btw :)

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

torrent trackers will often have really old releases still. maybe websites too, but the text based release log only goes back so far. anyway, it's another format to just get database-like search results.

8. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

I would look for “Rave stabs” Sounds really nice, i also want to know the sample now.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

That doesn't sound like a separate one-shot stab sample to me. Because it is a half-tempo chord sequence, played exactly the same way. I think it is a loop.

10. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

This sample is very cool! I looked in Vengeance Club sounds 1-5 and House 1-3 but no luck so far.

Maybe it's in an DAW library. (you could ask him what DAW he used and also if he remembers any packs that he used in this time)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  11. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

Ah that’s a shame. And it’s possible that it could be from a DAW, the creator of the first track I linked uses logic. I use FL on a PC so I’m not sure how I’d check. Thanks for looking through those packs!

Someone I spoke to also said that they could’ve sworn that they had used something very similar to this in nexus 2, but I don’t have it so I can’t search through it. I’ve looked at countless demos of nexus on YouTube, but couldn’t hear the sample.

12. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

I just sent him a message with these extra details! Hopefully he replies, I just asked if he remembered what DAW he used back when he made the track and if there were any sample packs that he would consistently go back to. I reckon that he might’ve downloaded the pack as a one off thing looking for more samples, but we shall see. To be fair, he made the track almost 10 years ago so it’s understandable if he doesn’t remember little details n stuff. I’ll update when he messages back :D

13. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

This is an exciting hunt! Maybe the people who made the game soundtrack can be contacted too?

14. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

I tried this, unfortunately nothing came out of it :( Other samples have been very elusive from this game and people have tried to contact the music composer, but I don’t think he responds. There’s also a language barrier, which makes it even more difficult. However, there are spreadsheets that people have made of known samples found from the series. He’s big on Spectrasonics products, and has used a variety of stuff from loopmasters, zerog and probably others.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJBlHHDc65fhZmKUGLrDTLCm6rfUU83-kbuD8Y0zU0o/edit

15. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Wow, nice list! I especially need to look into The Silent hill stuff! I also kind of connect your sample with silent hill in a way.

16. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

I totally get what you mean, has that same dark ambience to it. I know spectrasonics products are used a whole lot in silent hill, packs like Distorted reality and bizarre guitar (which are lumped in with omni2 now :) )

17. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

I guess you aould also ask on reddit. I got a coulple sampling questions solved there.

18. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

do you know what subreddits could be good to ask? I tried asking in r music production, but my question was auto deleted (I think?) for violation or something. I messaged the mods but I don’t think they responded.

19. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

20. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Main Acid line is a TB303 make it yourself
    The Syth Stab is a Processed FM synth Sounds like a processed patch from my old TG77

21. stuffedbutter

stuffedbutter Noisemaker

Sorry, could I have a bit more info about this? Is this kinda sound be recreated using a TB303 synth? (Or is it a code for something else, Google told me it was a Roland synth, I’m not used to physical hardware synths at all as I don’t own any.) I appreciate the info!