I Need Suggestions For a New DAW

Discussion in 'DAW' started by TheGreatNW, Dec 8, 2016.

1. TheGreatNW

TheGreatNW Newbie

My Macbook Pro crashed about a month ago due to water damage. So I decided to pick up a new computer on Black Friday, which ended up being a PC. My hobbies are producing, recording, and mixing. I am use to Logic Pro X's workflow and that is what I used to use to mix my projects down. I have used FL Studio and Ableton in the past to produce but never to mix. I would like to hear some suggestions from anyone who has had to make that which from Logic Pro X to another DAW.

3. Spacely

Spacely Producer

Coming from the Logic workflow I suggest Studio One.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Omman

Omman Ultrasonic

My suggestion also Studio One but know that if you want or need a notation view there are none in S1.
    Or give a try at Cubase Artist 9 it has notation view and you need a harware USB-elicenser it supports from Win 7 64bits .

5. TK

TK Member

Coming from Mac and Logic myself, I made the jump 1 1/2 years ago and now work exclusively using Windows. Still on Mac,
    just using Bootcamp.

Long story short... Cubase is easy to learn, especially the midi functionality is great. Comparable to Logic, but of course just comparable.
    I use Sequoia but I'm only mixing, not producing. Really depends on what you wanna do with the DAW.

When I was using Logic back in the days, I never thought that I would (could) get used to Cubase or Sequoia and was surprised
    how hassle free the transition actually was. Nowadays, I wouldn't be sure if I would switch back if Logic would get released
    for Windows.

Think you asked one of the very hard to answer questions, because opinions here might vary a lot. Every DAW has its strengths
    and weaknesses that just suck. Ultimately, you're the only one that can answer that question I fear.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  6. spiggy

spiggy Ultrasonic

Another vote for Studio One or Cubase. All of my old projects were in Cubase and it felt like home but I can't afford a new copy. Studio One has filled the void for me.

7. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

8. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

It doesn't really matter what you choose.

though if you have license for Live9 why not use it. It has a solid mix engine that doesn't get as much credit as it should, it is very deep under that shallow surface and you already know it for the most part. There are some poopoos though, no multi-late midi editing (but you re mixing anyways not orchestrating) and the busing scheme (Groups) can be a little backwards sometimes - sending a Groups to a track that is also part of an other group, no VCA groups, no multi-key buses unless you - no circular AUX busing unless its a resend. So there are somethings you can do in Logic that you can not do in Live (even S1) for that matter.

Cubase 8.x the workflow is def. not like anything in Logic.

FLS, don't know much about it, I demo a version here and there and just can not wrap my head around it. It probably has the most divergent workflow from any of the standard DAWs out there. If you can understand it (which I can not) might be worth a shot.

Also if you are just summing, filtering, adding FX and busing... don't forget other options that might not resemble Logic at all but might be workable for you. Reaper and Harrison's Mixbus are solid platforms that are worth a look as well.

9. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    If you want a great Windows based DAW, go for Sonar. It's the most intuitive and easy to use daw I've seen.
    But I also recommend Acid 7 pro, for its very accurate sound. Studio One has a smoother sound, Sonar is more analog-like, Cubase and Nuendo sound 'polished'. A good sounding daw is Pyramix, but it's difficult to work with.
    And welcome to the world of pc.

As for Logic, e-mail them and say
    "Pc, pleeease...!"
    Well, we would like Logic for Windows, now wouldn't we?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio.html

After trying ableton, flstudio, studio one... I have to say, nothing beats the workflow of bitwig! It's just super easy to do stuff. Now it has some minor bugs but which daw doesn't.

11. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

12. TheGreatNW

TheGreatNW Newbie

I was thinking that I might just have to switch back to Live9 to produce. As you said the busing is different, also the automation is too. I like Live it's just not as usable when it comes to mixing. If I were to go back to live I feel like I would need a different DAW to record and mix.. One thing that I loved about Logic was the multi-com recording feature. I can't find that else where.

13. BDrake

BDrake Noisemaker

A Long time go I switched to Cubase. I am now on Cubase Pro 8.5 about to upgrade to Pro 9 and I absolutely LOVE IT. I never looked back. Very easy to use. I found it just as easy or even easier to use than Logic and its absolutely great with MIDI everything. It comes with some great VST's and has many features already in it so you wont have to use or load vst's as well like eq's, compressors, etc. and it works great on PC. I still Like Logic a lot so its my #2 Daw on Macs now. Good Luck with your research!

14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Im developing a new DAW, its called HC XL ,head crusher xl, its gonna have unlimited inserts and an upper zone with a steven slate bomber gratis if you buy till december 25th.Only 10$, upgrades are 500 though, man`s got to eat.

15. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

From my own experience, and because you might want or have to switch back to Mac from PC, something designed to be cross-platform:
    Studio One, Bitwig, and/or Reaper
    Try them, first, to see which is most comfortable or useful for you.
    Studio One has a lot of sound libraries and instruments that come-with; they sound really good.
    I don't know Cubase much, but its sound libraries and instruments are also good.
    Bitwig is surprisingly easy to use, and lightweight, and therefore fast in workflow. It might look kind of toyish, but it's for real.
    Ardour is practically-free (of charge) and is open-source, and cross-platform:
    https://ardour.org/
    (Harrison Mixbus is Ardour in disguise.)

16. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

thanks for your suggestions. will try studio one.