i need help finding HELP

Discussion in 'Samplitude' started by filtersweep, May 14, 2016.

?

is samplitude the most under rated DAW ever?

1. i should say so

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. sampli- what?!

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

yes, i have been having a bit of an epiphany with Samplitude and i have to say now that every day i am getting more excited, it has become the best overall daw i have ever used. it loads in the blink of an eye and if you stick with the learning curve which seems daunting at first but no worse than FL Studio when i first started on that, the rewards are huge ( imho)
    so, my one and only bug bear and major annoyance, the help or lack of it. the lack of resources with any depth ( the manual such as it is, is the worst i have ever read). there are two guys one Kraznet whose youtube tutorials are indispensable ( can't remember the other guy at the mo).. but there are huge gaps that i cannot find help on. i do not understand, it is truly baffling how the authors of this amazing program have not provided anything but an incoherent and slipshod 'Help', not even PDF ffs!
    so i am searching ( the quest is begun) and if anyone knows about ANY reasonably good tutorials APART from Kraznet ( who i am currently getting some help from) please post the info here.
    my own personal need is for anything to do with the wave project and audio editing in samX2
    i am back to my beautiful beautiful workstation magnifique
    adieu : )

3. G String

G String Rock Star

A great program with poor or non-existent manuals isn't a great package?

Why is it 'better' than FL? I'm interested. I'm a bit tired of FL's dark UI and I've stopped going "How do I....?" Time to learn another program or I am in danger of having to make some music.....instead of tinkering around.

4. filtersweep

it is a different animal to FL. which i also love btw. it's great for sketches , generating ideas. it has a tonne of great plugins. in fact i have made a lot of tracks in it. it is great.
    sampitude is more like a trditional DAW, a timeline instead of patterns. it has an AMAZING set of built in plugins. so good you don't really need 3rd party ( although i still use loads of others because i am a slut that way.
    the main thing is 'object editing which has totally blown my tiny mind. the level of detail and control is truly amazing.
    i suggest you watch this instead of my ramblings....

at the end of the day i still used FL but i can use it inside sam, as a plugin or rewire. and i get to keep fl's world beating midi piano roll editor : )

5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I've been working a while with the beast, I agree that it is an incredible DAW, my favorite. If you need tips and such I can probably help.
    What aspect of audio editing do you need help with ?

6. filtersweep

i just wanted an overview of how it works, i have found out a few more things and i am getting the hang of it.
    as friend above pointed out there is a manual so i should be able to learn stuff now.. i still haven't got my head around whether or not this can slice or not and can't quite figure out how that works in SAM. i will get there i'm sure. ai do a lot of cut ups and samples with audio so i am gagging for the knowledge. it is a TOP program no doubt about it. i can see it becoming my main daw. i was trying to learn studio one but this pisses all over that ( 'scuse language)
    any help at at all is welcome to be honest.

7. filtersweep

actually one other small thing, is it possible that this does not support REX files?
    i can't see any at the moment

8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

For slicing you should use the advance quantisation tool. Our dear friend kraznet show you here how to do it :

For Rex sam doesn't support them, I use Geist in Sam for that, this way the slices can be assign to pads and then I can sequence the whole thing in geist (with all its automation goodness) and output it in Samplitude. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but thats my mode of operation.

9. filtersweep

yeah, geist is excellent. i am not that bothered about the rex thing ( you can use Battery for loading rex files to and that 's a pretty nifty drum machine. i am looking at the slice thing now, ace.
    the other thing , the thing that is driving me crazy TODAY is the sections. it seems very unwieldy to me but i don't think i am using it correctly. i was hoping to pic an object on the main timeline, then open section 1 and have it soomed in on the relevant part.. any advice on that?
    i am on mr kraznets youtube for the meantime anyway..

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Battery is great too, but I like to have a sequencer with my drum machine, so I stick with Geist. The sequencer drum view in the midi editor in Sam would probably be sufficient, but I'm used to working with Geist.
    About your problem the solution is pretty easy. The different views (you can have up to three, that's something I think which is unique to Sam) have independant zooms. Select the object you want to zoom on, than the section where you want it to be focused (might have to reselect the object after), and push at the bottom right of the main screen the button "zoom on the selected object", et voila!, your object will be focused in the extract you chose. And all the shortcuts for focusing and scrolling also apply to the selected extract/view, you can move around in them but remember to select the one you want to focus in before.
    I also recommand to use (on the bottom left of the main window) the 4 setup snapshots for different lenghts of the three different views you can have per project. I usually have the main window/extract focused on my whole project on the four snapshots available, but I'm gonna focus on a more narrow area in each snapshot for the two remaining views/extracts available (for example on snapshot one, view two has 8 measures long focused on one track, while view 3 has 16 mesures long focused on 4 tracks, etc, etc, for the 4 snapshots).
    And finally what's really awesome with Sam in link with the object base editing is the use of the revolver tracks. You can make variations of your objects with fxs, volume and panning automation and all that good stuffs with the object editing as you rightfully reminded and then do variation of how you use those collection of obects in different copies of the track you're working on (the so-called revolver tracks are the copies).On the frozen tracks once it's not in midi any more, the revolver tracks, the variations you do are included in the take composer if you launch it. So you can compose your perfect track with the collection of the objects and how you used them in different copies of the track. All that while the rest of your composition is playing, in context.
    So many possible things to do, I love it. :disco:

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  11. filtersweep

me to
    except..
    wheni select something in the timeling and then click the zoom in button, i do not get anything appearing when i click on the sections button... driving me a bit mad to be honest. i just can't get it to work as you say...
    edit: i now seem to have lost the customised interface i did last night, custom toolbars gone and i really don't want to have to go throught that again... sigh, just when i think i have found a great app, it starts to do my fucking head in.. hey ho
    now the most irrelevant annoyance... my mixer has suddenly gone really tiny so i cannot read the text and i can't find a way to make it normal.. any ideas?
    i always like software that reveals untold depths always giving you room for experiment and play. this is the best kept secret in the DAW world imho : )

edit: ok, it's just corrected itself. so , happy again.. honestly, this DAW business is either agony or ecstasy and nothing in between...

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  12. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

For the mixer thing I know what's your issue. When you devellop fully fxs, auxes, and eqs (+ on the far left of the mixer) and your screen is to small too contain it all vertically, the police mixer becomes smaller (on my screen there is a horrible pixel bug on the fader when that happen). To fix it you need to - the eq (or the fx or the auxes), change skin and then switch back to the original skin.
    i'll make a video tomorrow to show you how to properly use the "split screen" function of the arrangement window, it's easy but it takes getting used to.

13. filtersweep

yes, it does. thanks for your help dude : )

14. lukehh

lukehh Audiosexual

15. filtersweep

thanks for the videos. helpful although would be so much better with voice over or annotations, not always clear what's going on to a greenhorn like myself : )

16. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

So here you go. I hope it helps. Really sorry for the poor quality, I'm not at all a tutorial maker, and I have a cold...

17. filtersweep

hey, no problems , i have gotten a load of helpful info from you, so massive thankyou : )

18. filtersweep

actually i am stuck on a silly thing, when i am in the midi editor i cannot see the velocities of the notes on the velocity lane ( i expect to see graph bars there ) i can only adjust the velocities with the mouse by dragging selected notes up and down. i had it working a little while ago, but now it's gone again... help?

19. filtersweep

another silly trivial question, can you set the minimum and maximum heights of the tracks? it's the one thing that is driving me crazy ( the worst i've been since first using FL Studio, tee hee)
    laterz

20. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

:wink:No problem @filtersweep .
    First question : two things : first your problem : you must have pushed 5 while focusing in the midi editor which change the arrow multi tool in a velocity tool which will change velocity when you go up or down: to change that push 1 while focusing in the midi editor (it's the shortcut) or select the arrow multi tool in the midi editor on the upper row (the white arrow icon). Another thing that I had a few surprise with and I wanna warn you about in the midi editor : if you select a key on the piano roll on the left of the midi editor it is only the notes that are this key that appear in the velocity lane : for example if you select C3 in the piano roll the only velocity you will see in the velocity lane (the half bottom of the screen, with the velocity) is the velocities of C3 (so if you havn't any C3 in your clip, effectively you won't see any velocity bar in the velocity lane).
    I don't get you second question : you want to set a maximum and a minimum height for the tracks or you wanna know how to change their size ?

21. filtersweep

first point, thanks, i was going crazy trying all sorts - i thought it was a bug, but you are right.
    the second point:
    i want to be able to set a track size so when i press alt and enter it goes to the size i specify, so, at the moment i press alt + enter to do this, but the track either goes very small or fills the track view. i seem to get in a bit of a mess with this aspect, it's definitely the one thing i don't like about SAM at the moment; i end up with wildly scrolling windows, zooming in the wrong way etc... . i have been looking at the shortcuts and i can get around a certain amount of work by using the snapshot buttons and i guess when i understand the customization a bit better all that will be sorted., i just wish there was a way to resize all tracks with a single click. there probably is, but i haven't found that information yet. still, learning a lot this week
    still i am very grateful to you, i am addicted to this thing. so thanks again. : )

actually i just understood what you said, i can only see velocity when that particular notes are highlighted in red. once you deselect, the velocity lane bars disappear gain. that is so weird... do you think it's a bug?

Last edited: May 19, 2016