I need an electric guitar recommendation

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by kuntay, Mar 1, 2024.

1. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

Hello, I have a budget of around 450 - 500 dollars. I can't find much useful information on the internet, so I'd like to get some suggestions from you guys here.
    Of course, going to a music store and trying it out will give me the best results, but I think there are people here with more valuable information than that. I'm interested in music production and I want a guitar that is as versatile as possible. I want to stay away from guitars that fit certain styles. Thank you in advance for your interest!:keys::thanks:

3. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

You might want to subscribe to this channel and check out some of his other videos on lower cost guitars:

4. The Retro Bassist

The Retro Bassist Member

Well, I'm not a guitarist BUT as a bassist I may know a thing or two about electric guitars, so here is my suggestion:

If your goal is just getting a really nice guitar within that budget without an amp/combo, I'd definitely look at some Ibanez guitars from the RG line. If they're too "edgy" or modern-looking for you and you wanna something more old-school, you can't go wrong with a Squier Classic Vibe.

Hope it helps :wink:

5. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

Thank you for your attention, I will take a look at the video and the channel and hopefully I will get a satisfactory option

6. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

I actually like the look and sound of Squeir guitars, but when I look at them in detail, I can't perceive the differences in the sound of similar guitars like a guitar player, so I wanted to take a look here. Thank you for your interest and comments!

7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I'd recommend Fujigen. Get a used one. You can get various type of medium quality guitar with that budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_OEM_guitar_manufacturers

Just do a simple research about them. They are famous enough to have all the info needed on the internet. These are guitar builders that were once commissioned by Fender, Epiphone etc to make a Japanese version of those guitar for Asia market. The golden era was 90s when all those guitar are branded "over-spec" by the QC of the parent company and discontinued because it was so great, it surpass the quality of the American made. If you can get your hand on the used 90s Fujigen guitar. I have 3, bought them cheap and now 10 times the price. Lol.

First go to reverb dot com. Type in Fujigen, search. Window shopping, check what are they and read the description of every guitar, the used one. Most of them has a story.

They are not "replica" or "copy" or knock-off, they are licensed real thing. If you go to guitar shop, you can ask the salesman if they have a copy, try em out.

Example : LINK

upload_2024-3-1_10-39-41.png

upload_2024-3-1_10-41-26.png

Here's another one :

upload_2024-3-1_10-47-55.png

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

Have you ever played a guitar? if your at a beginner level there are things you need to figure out before you find it too hard and take up video games instead.

please advise your abilities and experience, so we can advise you properly..

9. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Quality mechanics are essential. In that price range, I was always happy with Yamaha guitars.
    Before deciding which type of guitar to buy, make sure you try it yourself or listen to demos. Pickup configurations do make quite a difference in sound.

10. jefft

jefft Producer

I'm told that Jet guitars are superior to the Fender Squires, especially the Jet JS-400, worth checking out and you will have money left over.

11. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

I've been playing acoustic guitar for 5 years but I haven't practiced myself to play above intermediate level.

12. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

I will definitely check it out!

13. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

First of all, thank you for such a detailed explanation and recommendation and I started looking at Fujigen guitars. I was thinking of buying Squier, but this brand has also attracted my attention thanks to you. Thank you for your interest!

14. Garamondo Furbish

basically most guitar music was written and played on 2 types of electric guitars.
    a les paul or some variation fitted with either humbuckers or p90 single coils

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epipho...romRecentHistory=false&typeAheadRedirect=true

or a Fender Tele or Strat. these are typically single coil, but due to popular demand are available as humbuckers as well.
    a strat has a whammy bar, it can be used to add "vibrato" to notes and also to take your guitar out of tune so people won't notice how bad you play, because they will blame the whammy bar.

Fender like gibson/epiphone have lots of price ranges so they can suck up every buyer in every market and price range. From Squiers to custom shop they can tap that wallet.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=fender strat&make=fender&product_type=electric-guitars

What you'll need to do, is go to a guitar shop or pawn shop or somewhere that has guitars, and play a les paul and play a strat, play several, they are made differently for different models.
    you are trying to get a feel for the shape of the neck and how comfortable it is for barre chords and general speed of playing and access to the upper neck.

Fender and Gibson use different scale lengths for their necks, see if you prefer one over the other.
    Also see if you prefer the sound of a single coil over a humbucker, if you like both there are models with both pickups on the same guitar.

if you like the fender strat also try a tele or two, they are different but similiar in some ways like scale length.

once you know and understand what you like, you can start sorting through the variations and prices and copies.

15. JST

JST Ultrasonic

Oh Please! Tell me an electric guitar that does not fit a certain style?

You should probably play a wind instrument, Like "Tuba or Trombone",
    They have no style,
    Guitar Propaganda; whatever you do, Only buy American Made instruments.

16. Garamondo Furbish

"Tell me an electric guitar that does not fit a certain style?" - but i've never played an electric guitar so I have no idea how any style effects anything. - certainly a recipe for disaster. why the fear of learning so prevalent in the world today? styles exist for a reason, they fill a need more successfully than anything else.

To understand a guitar, one must play a guitar with ones ears, then ones eyes.

17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

USD or Euro?

18. Drixx

Drixx Newbie

PRS SE will get you going for years
    500USD at Sweetwater

Attached Files:

19. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Fujigen crossed my mind when you said you were looking in Squier guitars. The thing about Squier, the production is now moved to Indonesia and the quality dropped a bit, it got nothing to do with the production plant but Fender downspec it because the "Classic Vibe" batch before that, that was Made In China was again being too good for the price, this is around year 2010 or something. Cant remember the exact year but I heard now it moved back to China on 2020 because the Indonesian made gets bad reps. Things are so confusing these days. Still, the Japanese Fujigen is few steps ahead in term of quality and workmanship for that sort of price range, value for money too. Greco, Tokai, Fernandes and FGN to name a few notable builders/brands.

Also the Japanese guitars are a bit mellower sounding in a really good way compared to American/Mexican made because.. it's Japanese. Culture and weather maybe ? I have no scientific proof for this, but owning all of them, that's what I can say. I love my 90's Japanese Fender Jazzmaster way more than my American made Jazzmaster.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

I'm talking about guitars that are specially made for Metal, Jazz, etc. I think that some guitars can be used for many styles of music and have a sound that is suitable for this, but I may be wrong.

21. kuntay

kuntay Noisemaker

I guess I have to go to a music store after all :rofl: