I need a sound card that is compatible with finale 2012

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by SoundWizard, May 30, 2013.

1. SoundWizard

SoundWizard Newbie

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132019

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271006

Are these two sound cards compatible with finale 2012? My onboard sound card is realtek hd and it is not compatible. Also which of these two cards is better? Thanks in advance.

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

why not go with an ASIO Compatible one? i doubt the 2 you have linked here are ASIO Compatible.

M-Audio is still doing good one for example.
    And for what is FInale 2012 asking? A bit more information would be awesome. :wink:

4. tater_one

tater_one Kapellmeister

You could try to google Asio4all and use it as a sound device and see if the makes it work in finale.

Its free!

5. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Soundblaster 16 BOOM!!!!

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Get a dedicated audio interface! RME, Motu, Apogee, etc. Heck, even a Presonus audio interface. Don't buy a shitty prosumer ASUS one.

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Really any contemporary ASIO soundcard will work in Finale. Some more information would help us give you better advice because honestly I'm not too crazy about either of your choices. I can possibly suggest some better ones if you fill in the blanks. What is your allotted budget?

8. SoundWizard

SoundWizard Newbie

Thanks, I been planning to purchase this actually.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

Will this be compatible with make music finale 2012 notation software. My realtek hd causes problems and doesn't allow me to export into audio file. My budget is 250 dollars.

9. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

I think any soundcard at around your budget should be able to pick up Finale. Just as long as Finale is able to pick an external sound device, which I'm pretty sure it can. Cheers!!!! :break:

10. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

http://www.asio4all.com/

download / install / choose asio for sound driver in Finale settings / enjoy

I use the above method and I do not have any external soundcard installed at the moment, just using the motherboard built-in sound chip. Works fine.

11. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

you dont need a 7.1 soundcard :wow: ,
    none of your 2 options are good

i think with $250 budget, you can buy a better one, with midi for instance,or for assigning external MIDI sounds , do you use midi keyboard?

but it all depends for what you are going to use it for,

do you need to export audio in 24-bit or you just need 16-bit audio file?

give us more info

if your issue is only exporting audio and playback, install asio4all, its free

if you want a professional soundcard look at Baxter reply

12. SoundWizard

SoundWizard Newbie

Thanks, I tried using the asio but realtek audio is just horrible and I can't get it to work. I do not use midi controller at least not this moment. My main concern as of this moment is so I can export audio file and use VST like hollywood strings omnisphere etc and potentially use DAW in the future. I also need the audio to be higher quality than an onboard soundchip when played through the speakers.

13. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

Onboard soundchip + ASIO should work! you may need to adjust latency with ASIO but it should give you a basic system good enough to get going with, I can export 24bit, use Kontakt libraries, Omnisphere etc etc etc, all work fine with ASIO. What speaker system are you using? that maybe an issue with your sound quality. How much RAM are you using?, another potential problem to look at.

click the link to hear demo recorded from my crappy Win7 pc, a Realtek built-in soundcard (High Definition Audio! whoo hoo!!!), using Sibelius7 (example score, not me playing, I even forgot to turn off the metronome! :rofl:) I upgraded from Finale to Sibelius about 6 months ago, but Finale worked just as well with my PC

MY PC Soundcard demo

14. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

as SirSillySausage said: Onboard soundchip + ASIO should work!

increase the buffer size in asio4all

is the sound so bad?
    what speakers do you use?

does the sound Pops/Cracks/Glitches/Artifacts ?

do you use win7? realtek drivers and win7 could be the issue.
    do you have a computer with enough specs for the hollywood strings?

do you use the garritan sounds? standard GPO or fill GPO?
    they are ok but there are more realistic libraries.
    you can improve the sound with a better sound card, but if the source (sounds\samples\instruments, use of reverb and panning) is not good, then the soundcard will not make "miracles" .

before export audio did you went to midi\audio options in Finale and choose Play Finale Through Audio Units? then did you assign the audio Units Instruments?

here is a video that help me last year with this issue.

here are some external sound cards with MIDI(you might use in the future)

Roland Quad-Capture

PreSonus AudioBox

Edirol UA25EX

lexicon Lambda

the best the D/A converter and speakers and room are, the better the sound is.

there are other good sound cards out there that other members can advise you on.

if you still have problems with export wav, you can always export the midi files and open them on an Daw and aplly the instruments(hollywood strings) there and then export into wav.

15. Bluespiral23

Bluespiral23 ex.mod

Sorry,your is a super stupid question!!!
    Just find a good asio soundcard or mixer like these(linux ready):

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT.html

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1204USB.aspx

Enjoy :wink:

16. SoundWizard

SoundWizard Newbie

Well, I finally got the asio driver to work in finale. It has mad delays. But, I still can't export to audio. Here is what the problem is, on my old computer which is a dell I bought in 2006, the onboard chip is sigmatel audio. I was able to export audio perfectly. I got a new computer in 2012 and the onboard chip is realtek hd. The playback is fine in finale, but when I click export to audio file, It will finish exporting all the way if the music is under 6 minutes long. Now if the music is over 6 minutes long, let's say a 20 minute symphony, it would export to around 6 percent. The program then freezes. It eventually finishes exporting, but the file becomes corrupted. The file would jump and fast forward when played. I need a sound card that would get rid of this problem. So far I am only using smart synth for the vst in finale. This problem occurs with all vst though, garritan, aria, symphonic gold etc. I have finale 2011 for windows by the way, there is no Play Finale Through Audio Units option. There is only play through VST.

17. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Though some people on these forums may utilize their onboard sound I HIGHLY recommend making the investment in a dedicated sound card if you can spare the extra cash. It will cut out a ton of possible issues and save you some major headaches especially in the area of latency. Consider it an investment in a hobby or a profession that will give back to you a millionfold in a myriad assortment of ways. Your sound card is at the heart of everything you do with audio so why not treat yourself right? And I would also look into a cheap MIDI controller even though you currently can input notes in a piano roll or utilize your computer keyboard. That will also help you to grow as an artist and open up avenues. If you're strapped you could pick one up for cheap on eBay or some other site. If you tell me your budget I will make some recommendations though I think Me2audio has made some good ones already. All the best.

18. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

I don't think the soundcard is the issue then? Sounds more like a processing error! (not enough RAM / cache size / too many applications running at the same time etc)

19. SoundWizard

SoundWizard Newbie

I have 16 gig of ram.

20. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

32bit or 64bit win7 or win8 ?

21. SoundWizard

SoundWizard Newbie

64 bit windows 8