I need a FREE Vector & Raster Software Recommendation...

Discussion in 'Software' started by ( . ) ( . ), Jun 12, 2015.

1. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

What's up you SEXY SEXY SEXY SEXY ffff...family!?

Been a long time since I made a topic...

Anywayz to get straight to the point. I'm looking for someone whos experienced in the design fields that can give me some recommendation to free alternatives to Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

I looked around on Google but meh, you know...with these free softwares you just don't feel very secure and need some assurance and recommendations from others...

If any of you know some good Vector as well as Raster software, it would be of great help to me. I've recently started working on a pretty nice set-up of free alternatives so I can stay away
    from pirating as much as I can... cuz fuck I pirate alot :O

I'm on a PC BTW...

Also sorry if I posted in the wrong section, didn't really know where this should go :P

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Inkscape; "Inkscape is a professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It's free and open source."

https://inkscape.org/en/

If you do any 3d graphics, look at blender.

https://www.blender.org/

5. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

hmmm nice GIMP looks like it's improved will give that a go...

Also Blender and Inkscape are really nice alternatives as well :)

I wonder if anyone has used these over here that can vouch for all of these?

Also if anyone has any more alternatives please share, especially if you have used them your self...

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

All those programs are tried and tested.
    If you're into diagrams yEd is also excellent:
    http://www.yworks.com/en/products/yfiles/yed

And for data visualization:
    https://public.tableau.com/s/

7. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

+ 1 for inkscape on windows

8. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Yep. Inkscape is the the best free vector app out there. Not really comparable to pro apps like Illustrator, though.

GIMP is great for raster, but it doesn't do CMYK. Not really comparable to Photoshop, though.

Blender, as someone suggested above, is a 3D modeling/rendering/sculpting/animating app. A great one, by the way, but it doesn't have anything to do with your request...You could learn it if you're up for the challenge, but it's an extremely complex piece of software that will eat a lot of your time and neurons until you get passed the initial learning curve.

So, anyway, I'd go with GIMP + Inkscape. It's a fairly good combo.

If you intend to do really professional jobs, it's really hard to stay away from Adobe, though. They make really great software and have been the industry's standard for decades...I know because I'm a designer, so I do this for a living. I've tried moving to a free/opensource setup a couple of times, but it simply doesn't cut, not in this field, anyway.

9. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

RMorgan,

Thanks for that input. I totally feel you man. I, too, have countless amounts of times tried to move to a free/opensource setup and have had the same feeling.

This was kind of the answer I was looking for, because I felt maybe I was doing it wrong somehow... maybe I wasn't looking for the proper tools.

But it seems it's the same for everybody. And you're totally right in the way that it's really hard to stay away from Adobe, they truly do provide you with the full functionality.

I mainly use Cinema4d for the 3d stuff and moving to Blender was kind of difficult because the workflow was like trying to work anti-clockwise...

Thanks for the input :D