I need a 25-key USB keyboard that doesn't feel like poop!

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by krameri, May 12, 2024.

1. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

especially if you want use a lower or upper note to change the sound of a chord, you have to get used to playing with one hand on the keyboard and the other on the octave switches. and playing octaves simply isn't feasible. But it is a space saver and good for bass or triggering drum samples, can also use it to peck out a melody. if you're tight on space its the only choice,

2. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I've never actually played a 25 key that I liked outside of the actual idea of the stuff it in a backpack and go, so I suggest getting at least a 61 key model and cutting it in half. Keep 1/2 to use now and put the other away for when the other half breaks or you can share it with a friend.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I use it both ways, and I also have other knobs and keyboards. I use the M32 in midi mode with Scaler, and it's cool for that.

4. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I've just recently bought a Behringer Swing -- their rip off of the Keystep at about half the price. I really like it. I've owned an Oxygen 25 in the past and it's much nicer than that ever was.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. shafeeqbeats

shafeeqbeats Ultrasonic

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is true of any 25 key device you get. Also, most synths have a way to change the octave on the keys locally; plus you of course have Transpose you can use in the DAW, and many MFX plugins offer the same feature. A 25 key is not going to replace your way bigger device if you are any kind of a piano player.

7. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Right, it's impossible to play decently live with octave switch.
    That brings back my post: it's just a little more than a keyswitch.

Yeah, if you use it in one finger mode with scalers and stuff like that it works fine.

But that's completely another instrument, you need to learn a new way to play, it couldn't have rigid keys for proper glissando and all the stuff.
    I think I'll purchase it one day.

8. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Right for octave switch, but you can't use live those 25/32 keys if the riff doesn't fit within those physical keys. That's why I use the keystation 32 only to write down chords and melodies, just "offline".
    BTW it's perfect for 15" backpack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Make a custom one from FATAR and doepfer parts

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

sorry, I ended up with the Keystep 32 spec sheet. That one looks pretty decent for $129, 32 key. But I'm not so sure about a backpack.

11. Kelsier

Kelsier Kapellmeister

There was a second hand S25 for sale in my local PMT last month, fate decided I wasn't going to have it because it was already sold when I got there. Might be a good thing, my wife is already beginning to suspect I might have a problem collecting hardware

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

^^this, BUT not the Grand (in the pic) which is too mushy/soggy,
    original Rise49 or Rise25, new Rise2 has bit different surface too
    :yes:

13. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

I legit had the same keyboard as you and also hated it.. you need a semi weighted key action .. I suggest either native instruments or arturia

14. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 is about 45euro/dollars, much less than Arturia, and I assure it fits in a 15" laptop backpack.
    But as by OP request, I wouldn't suggest it.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

I know you can use a controller with mini keys; but it feels like the whole point is to prove you can use one. If you can't play, sure it can work. But if you can play at all; using a mini keys board is miserable, no matter how many octaves it has.

16. Garamondo Furbish

which leads to this rabbithole.
    folding keyboards

17. Garamondo Furbish

the things to know before you buy... that foldable piano

18. Garamondo Furbish

and not to be left out knobs and faders.. portable midi controller, it folds like pocket money..which you won't have if you spend it buying this. notice its only a controller so it needs a synth or a computer running a synth program. so he's mostly tossing off on the bus where's he's playing with headphones and no computer..same in the cafe.

19. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Thank you to all for your suggestions!!

I'm not a player, but I use my controller to do things very slightly more fluidly than a mouse and piano roll haha

20. audiofannn

audiofannn Member

I've owned basically all of them at one point or another.

Akai-- I hate the MPKMini MK3s keybed. I know everyone and their mom has this controller but I think it's trash. The editor also doesn't let you change the MIDI channel of certain things... very limited and annoying. All mini Akai stuff is trash. It's an ok controller with 8 pads and endless encoders, but, meh.

Akai-- MPK Mini Plus. I like this one. It's small, 37 keys that feel decent, and has some nice functionality. Endless encoders, 8 drum pads... good price. Sold mine, will get another.

Arturia-- Keystep-- I hate how it starts on F, same with the NI M32. Good keybed, though.

Arturia-- Keystep 37. I feel it's mildly overpriced (and you can never find a good used deal on it).. but, 3 full octaves, 4 programmable encoders (x4 banks, so, 16 encoders) -- you can also set the CC values directly from the hardware if you want, chord/strum mode which is REALLY fun, 8 sequences or arp patterns... great keyboard. I'll get another someday. Should note that Keystep 37's arp and sequencer blows away the Akai Mini Plus, in terms of functionality.

Arturia-- Minilab MKII. I have two of them. One white, and the other "negative" (black keys). 16 encoders to map how you like, 8 drum pads, great keys, built like a tank. Good integration with Analog Lab 4 or 5. It's a bit heavy, but it might be my favorite of all of them. I use mine mostly for playing basslines.

Arturia-- Minilab MK3. I hate how they removed 8 encoders and gave 4 sliders, instead. It's cool, but I find 16 encoders infinitely more useful. Cool screen, but it seems more limited than the MKII.

Arturia-- Keylab Essential MK3 (I know it's a little bigger than you need). Keys are a tad spongy, just like the MK2, but.. insanely programmable. Good pads, nice colors, good screen, scale and chord mode, arp, etc. Insanely great bang for the buck, especially the 49-key.

NI M32-- the keys respond very strangely, velocity-wise. Couldn't get hard notes... many people complained about the same issue. Plus, that damn F-C keybed. If this had 37 keys and a slightly bigger screen, and no problem with the velocity, I'd love it.

M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini MK3. Keys feel phenomenal. Best of all of them! Super-responsive pads. Ugly as hell, otherwise. The buttons are all over the place / terribly-designed, the editor doesn't even let you edit certain things properly, etc. I have no idea what they were thinking designing this thing. It is really ugly. But again, might have the best keybed of all of them... DAW MODE / USER MODE confusion-- they're independent of each other and hard to remember how to access, menu-wise... it's a mess, and it's unnecessarily big, but.. I do like it, despite its horrible design. I might get another someday.

Novation Launchkey Mini MK3-- the smallest and flattest of all of them. Tight encoders, custom drum pad modes, arpeggiator, some nice randomization... keys are a little light/easy-feeling, and the pads often are too damn sensitive, but... superb design. My go-to, usually, especially when I need to bring a tiny keyboard with me somewhere.

Launchkey MK3, 25-key-- something I don't like about the LK MK3 keybed. But, nice functions. I'd opt for the 49 or 61-key if you're going that route, though.

NI KK S25 MK1-- the keys are amazing, but, the MK1 is no longer supported by NI. Limited controller unless you use KK, or have a script for it, that lets you use the transport and encoders for your DAW (DrivenByMoss / Reaper / Bitwig). Good stuff, but go for the 49 or 61.

M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 MK3. Flat as a pancake, not much stuff to be excited about, but I really love that keybed, and I love the C to G range.

Nektar-- I don't like anything by them. Owned three different models, and something bugged out with every single one-- dead keys, dead pads, weird encoder issues. Never again.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: May 20, 2024