I narrow it down to the RME Babyface Pro FS 24:Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mrrnr, Mar 31, 2021.

1. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Edit:3/30/2021 Update..
    Thank You all for chiming in for your recommendation from the link below.

I narrow it down to the RME Babyface Pro FS 24-channel USB Audio Interface.
    All probability, I may give it it a try, however if I don't find it very intuitive were the Total-Mix maybe a bit of a learning curve.. I'll send it back..

I want something with good Pres,AD/DA Converters without the hassles of big learning curve..

Note:
    If you feel that there is a better choice for a I-Face,,..
    Then by all means, Please chime in for a Comparable Interface..
    Thx,Rob..

https://audiosex.pro/threads/lookin...audio-interface-recommendations-to-buy.58450/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
  3. Wow, my suggestion heard by you!! I am pleased :mates: With Total Mix, here the deal... you will have to read manual. Very nice thing with Babyface, comes with actual, physical paper manual (no need download pdf) you can keep on desk till you get hang of it. Also, many youtube videos on using Total Mix and Babyface. Problem is many people insist they must be able to just look at Total Mix on computer monitor and know automatically how it works. No-go, with this you must be willing to spend some time reading how it works/functions. You can also email RME questions. I have, they answered by next day with clear friendly responses.

Sound is very good with Babyface. You can definitely get professional recording. Wish you much luck with it and your music in these days ahead after Covid!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I think it is a solid choice and that you'll be happy for years to come.

It's at top of your price range but I do think you get what you pay for in most cases.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

So, you'll probably send it back, LOL.. because:
    :yes:
    There is none! If only everything in life would be so certain as an RME interface..

jk, ofc.. spend some time with Total Mix. It is worth it. Quite intuitive, when you understand the logic behind it (though). And you can always ask questions here.. :wink:

6. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Oh Wow..You guys are so cool..You Rock.. You put my at ease.. Thank You Guys..Im up for the challenge with the Total Mix..

One of the reason for the choice I made for Baby Face and with the help from you guys and also reviews at Sweetwater.

One Reason being is the Babyface Headphones AMP Power.. A few weeks back talking to my SW Rep. I was in the market for
    Studio Reference Headphones and a Interface.. But he gave me some choices other than the Babyface because of my price range of $500.

Then we started to talk about some Studio Reference Headphones.. He suggested the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro Open-Back Studio Reference.
    Although he made it aware to me that you will need a Interface that can push the at lease 250 omhs,for The Beyerdynamic..
    Will sure enough and the review I saw on SW on the Babyface..So this guys uses the Babyface and the Beyerdynamic..

(You Can See The Review Here..https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...pro-fs-24-channel-usb-audio-interface/reviews..

Look for Ruben
    ((Objectively The Best) 5th Paragraph (Headphones AMP Power)..With all that and days trying to make a decision on a Interface and headphones..Im defiantly going with The Babyface and Beyerdynamic..

Its been a long
    Journey,but its only been days..LOL.. but I finally found what Im looking for and you guys have help me be part of the decision making process..
    Thx,Rob

7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I have the rme babyface pro and it´s indeed a great box. Enjoy :like:

8. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Congrats Man on RME BF and Thank You

9. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Also possible to have continued in first thread.
    It is the conclusion of the same subject matter.
    Can also change title of old thread too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I would go the route of an Adi-2 DAC as someone here suggested (here the forum) and a Digiface and an Octopre Clarett.
    Why? Because the Adi-2 DAC is suggested to sound way better and measure better. So, you use the Digiface as the "interface" send the audio through toslink (optical) to the Adi-2 DAC, and use the Octopre to record through the Digiface.
    But of course, if you wanna keep it simple when first trying totalmix, if you dig it, return the Babyface then go with the suggested 3 piece combo.
    I had a Babyface Pro FS and it wasn't that bad but I feel the Motu's M4 is way better (sound wise).
    Yes I might be wrong.
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Smoove Grooves

In theory it should be. The new M range will create change in the market now.
    Yeah. We guessed! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Warry12

Warry12 Member

Audient ID22 or ID44. depending on your needs

• List
  13. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Hey Scarlet, Your suggestion are well taken on the Combo package, although that's fine a dandy but now were running in some Dollars that's going to take me out of my budget...The Motu's M4 is interesting.. Thx for your input Mate.. Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I learrned how to use Totalmix. I'm an idiot and can manage my way around, so if I could do it you can too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny Ultrasonic

Are you gonna open a thread to ask if the posh, expensive, nicest interface is good? thrilling.
    You want good AD/DA? guess what, they all use the same chip haha
    Good pres? none of them are that good, if you want a good pre you go out and buy a nice preamp, not a tiny desktop interface and expect some special pre

heres one for ya, it will result in the exact same output on your soundcloud page at the end of the day
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_u_phoria_umc202hd.htm?sid=cada9526e6322b593c2efdbef00caf36
    unless you are on windows then the drivers make a diff and RME are best, but you dont even care about that so,

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Please don't get a Behringer, lol, he's trolling you. :rofl:
    Although if you can return it, compare and decide for yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

I don't get Trolled.. If his trying to Troll me with a Behringer then he has done a Poor Job...LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny Ultrasonic

When cold, hard logic cant be accepted, it can be deflected as "trolling"
    [​IMG]

19. Smoove Grooves

Mod clicked Agree. Glad it's funny to you.

20. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i have one too and i must recognize the software-hardware (totalmix) interaction is not that simple. anyone used or wanting to easily grasp what does what without a bit of experience is not going to like it. now, its my secondary interface so im sure that if it was my primary after a while i could find it reasonable

so i can use it, but its always something i have to re-think, and double check, never something that feels intuitive. i think this could be easily helped with some humble re-imagination of some basic design decisions. rme should accept this instead of insisting that its totally fine.

you can "manage" to use it, that is like saying a new traffic light design is fine because it actually shows red, yellow, and green. its just, it shows it underground! lol.

exaggerating a bit..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  21. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I would have suggested Motu as an alternative, but if you are already overwhelmed with Total Mix (which is pretty much straight forward), then you will drown using Pro Audio Control. :rofl:

• List