I mix and master over regular Soundsystems

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by magentaappearance, Mar 15, 2017.

1. magentaappearance

magentaappearance Noisemaker

I mix and master my music over regular "soundsystems". Not monitors.

Because it is fun to enjoy the music while working and to mix and master on such soundsystems.

anybody do it same? :D

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I'm sorry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Spacely

Spacely Producer

Use whatever works for you.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

at the end of the day, you just make the most of what you have to work with.

i could tell stories of my many badsetups ive worked on/with. but whats the fun in that :)

oh, actually i still work in a really bad room. its just better than the previouslysetup/speakers.

When money is short - moral has to be high or something :mates::mates:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

There are precise and pleasant sounding monitors like Adam, Neumann or Presonus, no need to use Yamahas

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. TW

TW Guest

Why do you think you could not enjoy music on monitors? lol ... You can have the same effect most "consumer regular systems" have to music with monitors. just put a big smile eq on the end of your mix bus and the party starts ... :winker: :disco:

I prefer a flat sounding system any time even to only enjoy music over a super tuned hyped system. Sometimes a bit more bass but thats it ...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
    • List
  8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

A good testimony would be to tell us how far has this helped you to move forward with your musician/producer career :)
    I know many people who enjoy even their NS10s, enjoying an "unrewarding" set of speakers is a matter of perception and/or experience.
    As a thumb rule all speakers are built (or they should be anyway) with one single purpose, to sound as flat and detailed as possible. This is not typical though for hi-fi or desktop speakers where the price indicates the level of build and sound reproduction quality, and the target buyers want a set that looks good too. In the cheap and mid price categories of the hi-fi market the world is full with speaker sets that are trying to impress and do not try to sound flat at all. While in the pro audio market, evidently it is the other way around.
    Truth is, if you know a hi-fi speaker set inside out, you can make/mix music on it with few or no apparent problems. But unless you are working with high end speakers, half of the work you 'll be doing is "guesswork". And in the end because you can't truly guess the details correctly on a typical hi-fi speaker pair, is the reason why people serious about their music move to monitors. Even a cheap monitor pair (350-400$) like a KRK Rokit 6 is still honest as a speaker, revealing the best it can, while typical hi-fi at this price range, usually only looks good.
    So whatever suits you best should be fine is my answer, the catch is do you really know what suits you best :)
    PS: We live in an era where the industry has many times given products that are so versatile that they crossover categories. Many times have i seen Beyer, Adam, Dynaudio, Genelec, Focal pro audio sets being reviewed ,recognized and hailed by hi fi magazines. All these speakers made it there because they can be highly enjoyable and highly precise at the same time. And the same can be said for good revealing hi-fi speakers. I do remember entering Blue Room's studio (old UK trance label) and they mastered on B&W Nautilus and they did some excellent masters too:)
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/Nautilus
    With the technology evolved so much lately, there is only a handful of monitors that cannot be thoroughly enjoyed. Checking the market in co-ordination with your budget, listening to as much as you can and then deciding what's best is the correct path for me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. RockHardRox

RockHardRox Newbie

Yeah, I've been doing the same thing since 2009 but I got some great speakers & a Harman Kardon made before they started making junk, to do it with. Not studio quality stuff but high end enough to get the job done about as good by my ears.

I compare my reworks against the best remasters I can find, hd tracks, mfsl's, etc & whoopin' them every time, made from my goldwave editor & a few select plugins. I got a rock site geared towards remastering contests if anyone's up for a competition challenge. I'd luv to hear what you guys can do with common classics with all the tools you guys talk about on here.

It took many years to hone my skill & makes me wonder if I couldn't do better but haven't heard anything better to reference by. I'm pretty content having remastered my entire library, 10,000+ tunes that sound better than the common off the self audio you get on most cd's or flac downloads & it's so sweet not to have to fiddle with the tone controls anymore with my library totally balanced.

Anyways, for anyone up for some remastering competition, buzz over to my site, Hot Rock Central. I'm not hard to find but the attitude there isn't for everyone.